Everton Youth Teams Thread

WHEN it has been said, I believe it was in all seriousness.

DCL is 21, when Kane was 21 he scored 31 goals for spurs, I look forward to our boy doing the same to prove his ‘undeniable’ similarity.

I think the Kane comparisons come about because when Kane was DCL's age a lot of people could not see a player there whatsoever. If Spurs fans had tried to force him out of the club saying he's League 1 standard just like the majority do on here with Dom then well... the rest is history.

I think the Kane comparisons come about because when Kane was DCL's age a lot of people could not see a player there whatsoever. If Spurs fans had tried to force him out of the club saying he's League 1 standard just like the majority do on here with Dom then well... the rest is history.
I think the comparisons come from when people like @mightymoyes can’t help but compare them even when they’re trying to say that nobody compares them...

I think the comparisons come from when people like @mightymoyes can’t help but compare them even when they’re trying to say that nobody compares them...

Haha my opinion is the one @Nymzee posted above.
I watched Kane at 19 and 20, same age as I started watching DCL and at this stage Dominic is a better player imo.
Just cos I say that it would close to a miracle if he was to even match Kane for 1 season but he deserves a place in our squad to try.

I've never seen MM compare them as they are. They way I posted it is the way it has always cropped up on here but you're very quick to jump on people for suggesting maybe, just maybe Dom might improve over the next 10+ years.

I've never seen MM compare them as they are. They way I posted it is the way it has always cropped up on here but you're very quick to jump on people for suggesting maybe, just maybe Dom might improve over the next 10+ years.
Am I? That’s odd because I’m sure he’ll improve and I already think he’s good.

My opinion has always been that we’ve asked too much of him and that he’s not a natural finisher. My biggest bugbear has always been that the comparisons to Kane et al are counter productive, increasing the pressure on him and leading to people thinking he’s not reached his potential when he turns out not to be as good. I’ve seen it happen to the likes of cadamarteri, branch, Rodwell and Barkley - even stones, laughably - so I’d rather wait until he is top class before I start trumpeting about how he’s the second coming, but I appreciate that’s not everybodys style.

Haha my opinion is the one @Nymzee posted above.
I watched Kane at 19 and 20, same age as I started watching DCL and at this stage Dominic is a better player imo.
Just cos I say that it would close to a miracle if he was to even match Kane for 1 season but he deserves a place in our squad to try.
I know mate I was just teasing. As I was saying originally though, i’m Not suggesting those mentioned aren’t deserving of a place in our squad or that they’ll never improve, only that i’m Not sure they’re quite as good as some people would have you believe. I saw Kane as a teenager too, in the flesh at senior level, and he stood out a mile in league one at 18. There’s some revisionism about him being a no Mark who came from nowhere when he was actually extremely highly rated as a youth. In my opinion (and god knows I’ve been wrong about these things before) DCL is nowhere near as good a player. He has more physical attributes but far less of an idea how to use them. I’ve used the comparison of welbeck before and emulating his career would be absolutely incredible for the lad, nevermind being like Kane, that’s why I don’t think the comparisons are helpful, no matter what the logic behind them is.

My opinion has always been that we’ve asked too much of him and that he’s not a natural finisher. My biggest bugbear has always been that the comparisons to Kane et al are counter productive, increasing the pressure on him and leading to people thinking he’s not reached his potential when he turns out not to be as good. I’ve seen it happen to the likes of cadamarteri, branch, Rodwell and Barkley - even stones, laughably - so I’d rather wait until he is top class before I start trumpeting about how he’s the second coming, but I appreciate that’s not everybodys style.

Like I said though I don't think anyone here thinks he'll end up like Kane just that maybe he will follow that path and develop the same way. Personally I don't see it as even though I didn't rate Kane when he was sent out on his loans he's always looked a finisher. I don't think not being prolific will hold DCL back though.

Like I said though I don't think anyone here thinks he'll end up like Kane just that maybe he will follow that path and develop the same way. Personally I don't see it as even though I didn't rate Kane when he was sent out on his loans he's always looked a finisher. I don't think not being prolific will hold DCL back though.
See that I agree with. There’s a place for players like him, it’s just not enough people use that as a defence and instead say ‘well Kane wasn’t scoring loads at 20’, leaving him wide open for criticism this year because Kane was absolutely leathering them in at 21.

As I said, it’s a big year for a lot of them in my opinion. If you’ve been playing at a good level since you were a kid and you still haven’t cracked senior football at 22/23, your chances of ever being good enough for the top look a whole lot slimmer.

WHEN it has been said, I believe it was in all seriousness.

DCL is 21, when Kane was 21 he scored 31 goals for spurs, I look forward to our boy doing the same to prove his ‘undeniable’ similarity.
No mate. I remember the argument/conversation we were having and it was around the interpretation of comparison. IIRC, one of your arguments at one stage was that just mentioning Harry Kane in the DCL thread the poster was comparing him. the poster at the time, I can't recall who it was, said that up until the age of 20 his goal scoring record was similar to Kane's, but Kane kicked on from age 21. He said DCL could, at some stage, could also kick on, so it was to early to WRITE HIM OFF. He never said he will be as good as kane or is as good as Kane. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anybody say that on here in all seriousness.

No mate. I remember the argument/conversation we were having and it was around the interpretation of comparison. IIRC, one of your arguments at one stage was that just mentioning Harry Kane in the DCL thread the poster was comparing him. the poster at the time, I can't recall who it was, said that up until the age of 20 his goal scoring record was similar to Kane's, but Kane kicked on from age 21. He said DCL could, at some stage, could also kick on, so it was to early to WRITE HIM OFF. He never said he will be as good as kane or is as good as Kane. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anybody say that on here in all seriousness.
Thats just one example though, it’s literally a running joke on here that the Kane comparison gets used all the time!

I know the one you’re on about. He came into the DCL thread, said ‘here’s a comparison between Kane and DCL at the same age, Kane got better and so can DCL’ and then you both took umbrage when I said he was comparing them. It was pretty weird really.

AGAIN though, I understand what people are saying, I’m not an idiot. I’m simply saying that I don’t believe they’re alike as players and that there is no need to compare them at all, for any reason, at any time.

Thats just one example though, it’s literally a running joke on here that the Kane comparison gets used all the time!

I know the one you’re on about. He came into the DCL thread, said ‘here’s a comparison between Kane and DCL at the same age, Kane got better and so can DCL’ and then you both took umbrage when I said he was comparing them. It was pretty weird really.

AGAIN though, I understand what people are saying, I’m not an idiot. I’m simply saying that I don’t believe they’re alike as players and that there is no need to compare them at all, for any reason, at any time.

I recall watching Kane for I think it was England yoot once, he was so bad it was unreal and now look at him.

Can DCL do the same? Unlikely, but hey, you never know................................................

That's fair enough. But nobody, as far as I'm aware, has ever said he'll be as good as Kane is now, or that he will become a great goal scorer. All that has been said is that he is too young to write off and used people like Kane and henry as an example of what they were like at the same age.

The posts probably weren't even directed at you mate. They were in response to the dozens of posters on this forum who treat DCL like he's dirt on a shoe. But you do tend to jump in when somebody does make a post like that.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back