Everton Youth Teams Thread

In many ways we have had the big problem Eng;and have had, which is producing great players to 16/17/18/19 but ultimately them not kicking on. There is a variety of reasons for this. Last season we played more lads 21 and younger than any other team. We played more than treble all but one team. We always have done really, but they don't kick on. Thats the question that needs to be answered.

I recall Martinez raising this quite a lot when he was here. Not sure what his plan was but I recall him saying that the most important years of progression were late teens/early 20’s.

Feeney's Return

Morgan Feeney has been swatting up on his World Cup homework as he makes his comeback from injury this summer.

The defender - who owns a Lower Gwladys season ticket - was ruled out towards the end of the season with a knee injury but is aiming to return stronger for the new campaign.

“I have been watching players I like [in the World Cup] and have done the analysts’ heads in, getting them to clip games for me on passing and defending,” Feeney said.

“I watch clips back and take those things into my own game. Hopefully, I can stay out training longer [when I am fit], with pain free knees, to work on those things.

“The Uruguay defenders are solid, Godin and Gimenez. And Harry Maguire has looked solid.

“The big centre backs who like to put themselves about a bit… that is what I like to see.”

Feeney was handed the captain’s armband at U23 level by David Unsworth last season - despite being just 19 - and he says he would be honoured to lead the young Blues once more next season.

He does, however, have half-an-eye on the first-team squad.

“I am a massive Evertonian, so being captain is huge for me. It is something I took in my stride and hopefully I am doing okay at it.

“My short-term goal is to get through to Christmas feeling good and playing well. Hopefully in that period I can catch the eye of the new manager and see where that takes me.

“I have seen some of his training and it looks exciting. You do think, ‘I don’t want to be watching, I want to be over there with them’.

“It is natural when you see how good it looks to want a piece of it. It is another incentive to try to get myself over there.

“But I do not want to rush things. I have been out so long and had the problem a number of years, so it is important I get it right and make sure I come back as fit as possible.”

Ouzounidis Signs

Everton have announced that young defender Con Ouzounidis has signed professional terms with the club.

Ouzounidis impressed enough at U18 level last season to earn a call-up to David Unsworth’s U23 side and penned a one-year deal at Goodison Park.
“For anyone who is aspiring to become a professional footballer, to sign your first professional contract is a dream come true,” Ouzounidis said.

“I feel like I’ve came on a lot over the past year. I got injured, which was a blow, but I was in the gym a lot with the physio so that helped me develop physically.
“Coaches like [U18 manager] Paul Tait and Unsy in the Under-23s have helped me out a lot, too.

“Unsy used to be a centre-half and he’s been there and done it for the first team, so he knows what it takes to get there. I just have to take what he says on board and put it into my game.

“He always manages to get the best out of his players, he pushes you because he wants more and wants you to succeed. He wants to help me become the best defender I can be.

“The players are all pushing each other on to do well, too. We’re one big group. Everyone gets on well with everyone.

“It’s important that we all get on. It’s good for team spirit and, when we’re on the pitch, we’re all fighting for each other. Everyone wants the best for each other.”

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back