Everton Youth Teams Thread

Just watched a YouTube of joe Williams highlights at Barnsley. Heard good things about him but never seen him in the flesh. I know it’s only clips, but when I compare it to clips I’ve seen of other prospective signings, this lad looks good. Don’t want to say who he reminds me of but suffice to say I hope joe never slips up and loses us the league.

Lad is absolute quality for his age in my opinion. Went to watch the U18s final at Goodison Vs Man City a few years back. City looked like they had ringers they were so much faster and stronger than our lads. But our lot played as a team (no big time Charlies attitude). We won 1-0 with a goal from Harry Charsley, but the absolute stand out player on the pitch for both sides was Joe Williams.

He was playing as a deep lying midfielder and his passing was superb. Whether long or short it was top drawer. He kept hitting wonderful long passes with a lovely fade on them. His passing style (though nowhere near his level obviously) reminded me and my brother of Toni Kroos. The lad could mix it too - flying into tackles everywhere.

Ever since we've kept an eye out for him. Had a few really bad injuries but Unsworth has always raved about him. I know a few Barnsley supporters who are very impressed with him. Bearing in mind it is a big step up physically to play at that level, he seems to have acquitted himself well. Really hope he gets given a chance for us under a proper coach.

I had heard about Williams playing ok with Barnsley but hadn't seen much so I checked out some videos and the lad looks like he might have something. I'd like to see him get a chance over no marks like Besic

Have been impressed when I’ve seen Williams too, but I remember an interview that he done where he said “I will play for Everton” which I thought the lad must have a good determined attitude, as most kids you hear saying that they hopefully get to play for the club

Joe Williams has almost been our forgotten man in recent years , mainly due to injuries but also the likes of Davies, Dowell , and a while back Ledson grabbing the headlines . I used to think of him as a combative midfielder, not afraid of a tackle or putting it about, but then I became aware of just how much skill he has too. Maybe that’s the problem he doesn’t get more attention, he’s not as skilful as Dowell or as eye catching as Davies. But the goal at Barnsley where he brought the ball down with his chest and volleyed in was pure class. It’s hard , and sometimes daft, to try to compare with past players but he reminds me a bit of Peter Reid, who blossomed later due to early injuries. There’s tough competition for him though.

Joe Williams has almost been our forgotten man in recent years , mainly due to injuries but also the likes of Davies, Dowell , and a while back Ledson grabbing the headlines . I used to think of him as a combative midfielder, not afraid of a tackle or putting it about, but then I became aware of just how much skill he has too. Maybe that’s the problem he doesn’t get more attention, he’s not as skilful as Dowell or as eye catching as Davies. But the goal at Barnsley where he brought the ball down with his chest and volleyed in was pure class. It’s hard , and sometimes daft, to try to compare with past players but he reminds me a bit of Peter Reid, who blossomed later due to early injuries. There’s tough competition for him though.

...as you know, Williams has been a favourite of mine for many years. I remember the game he played as a very young lad against the Brazilian, Anderson, who was returning from injury and playing for United’s U23s. Williams was ultra competitive, covered a hell of a lot of ground and never took a step back. I wonder if that competitive streak has resulted in so many injuries, but comments from his teammates at Barnsley last season suggest (as you say) that he has a fine passing range.

There have been a report in the Echo saying Silva has been impressed with Williams in pre-season training.

Can't believe the squads for the U19 Euros have not been announced yet seeing as they kick off next week. Feeney used to be National captain at this age group and am interested to see if he has recovered enough from his injury to be included. Possible outside chance for Gibson too although he is from the younger age group. Last years winning team had a number of players from the younger age group who are eligible again this year, so they must have a decent chance again you would have thought.

Favourites, France, are in our group so assuming we both get through we wouldn't have to play them again until the final.

Apparently Sky sports have the TV. rights.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back