Everton Youth Teams Thread

..indications are Silva likes what he’s seen of Joe Williams.

The 4-3-3 that is played by Portugal needs a "pivot".

Basically someone who sits in front of the back 4 - providing defensive cover but also passing the ball simply and accurately out to the wings. It isn't a traditional position in England. It was what Rodwell was really good at.

Joe Williams is probably the best suited of our youth players to do that role so I can see why he'd be in favour with Silva.

In many ways we have had the big problem Eng;and have had, which is producing great players to 16/17/18/19 but ultimately them not kicking on. There is a variety of reasons for this. Last season we played more lads 21 and younger than any other team. We played more than treble all but one team. We always have done really, but they don't kick on. Thats the question that needs to be answered.
The question is at what point do you judge if a player has kicked on or not? Some players are the finished article at 22, some you don't see the best of till 26.

For example, Tom Davies had a mediocre season last season, and some are saying he hasn't kicked on, which is a bit harsh.

The question is at what point do you judge if a player has kicked on or not? Some players are the finished article at 22, some you don't see the best of till 26.

For example, Tom Davies had a mediocre season last season, and some are saying he hasn't kicked on, which is a bit harsh.

Thats a great point mate and there's no easy answer to it, which is why it's more of an art form than a science.

The 4-3-3 that is played by Portugal needs a "pivot".

Basically someone who sits in front of the back 4 - providing defensive cover but also passing the ball simply and accurately out to the wings. It isn't a traditional position in England. It was what Rodwell was really good at.

Joe Williams is probably the best suited of our youth players to do that role so I can see why he'd be in favour with Silva.

The issue for Joe will be whether he is quite good enough at passing. That role needs a lad who keeps the ball very well and has a strong range of passing. Joe is a decent passer of the ball but it's to date it hasn't quite been at the top level.

He gets around the pitch well, breaks up play very well as well, while being comfortable on the ball. His performances last season were very good for Barnsley and I'd be delighted for him if he got a chance.

The Premier League International Cup groups have been announced

In the group stage, teams play each other once, with all matches hosted in England.
The group winners and the two best runners-up go through to the quarter-finals.
All knockout matches are one-off ties, to be decided by extra-time and penalties if level after 90 or 120 minutes.

DiOMmYQUYAAo-ve.jpg

Tough opposition but I feel we'll have a much stronger U23 team compared to last season.
It may depend on what team we play, in the past we’ve dicked about giving fringe players games in these kind of tournaments not taking them too seriously. One argument is that these are development games and we shouldn’t worry about results. But I’d like to see our strongest teams playing Bayern Munich and Benfica. Dowell has made some telling comments about what he got from his loan, playing “proper” football and learning to change his style of play when they were 1-0 up I.e. game management. We’ve got a comparatively young team at U23s, I would love them to have a real go against probably older more experienced teams, managing the game in a “proper” way to get a result. We’d learn a lot about them and they’d learn a lot too.

HILTON: THIS IS THE START

Goalkeeper Joe Hilton, 18, has signed a one-year deal with Everton.
Hilton joined the Toffees from Manchester City in 2016 and has been part of the first team's pre-season training camp in Austria.
"Signing this new deal means a lot," he told the club website. "I’ve put in a lot of hard work and I think this shows it has paid off. Hopefully it’s the start of a good career."

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back