Everton Youth Teams Thread

Can't believe the squads for the U19 Euros have not been announced yet seeing as they kick off next week. Feeney used to be National captain at this age group and am interested to see if he has recovered enough from his injury to be included. Possible outside chance for Gibson too although he is from the younger age group. Last years winning team had a number of players from the younger age group who are eligible again this year, so they must have a decent chance again you would have thought.

Favourites, France, are in our group so assuming we both get through we wouldn't have to play them again until the final.

Apparently Sky sports have the TV. rights.

Feeney is currently with the U23's in Spain so I suspect he's not in the squad.

Edit: Ignore that, squad seems like it'll be announced this weekend so still could be.

Last edited:
Can't believe the squads for the U19 Euros have not been announced yet seeing as they kick off next week. Feeney used to be National captain at this age group and am interested to see if he has recovered enough from his injury to be included. Possible outside chance for Gibson too although he is from the younger age group. Last years winning team had a number of players from the younger age group who are eligible again this year, so they must have a decent chance again you would have thought.

Favourites, France, are in our group so assuming we both get through we wouldn't have to play them again until the final.

Apparently Sky sports have the TV. rights.
Apparently being announced on Monday, though I was fooled by an earlier squad. It’s a daft time to hold the tournament, a lot of England first choices won’t be there as they are being loaned out and needed by their clubs. Other countries like Portugal are also sending weakened squads apparently, but the stakes are high as first four or five get passes into next year’s World Cup. I got the impression that Feeney is nursing his knees and being cautious at the moment.

That’s an interesting one, as a winger Bramall didn’t appear to be much better than others who’d been let go e.g. Nathan Holland. But Unsy seems to have reinvented him last season as an attacking full back. And right back is an area where the U23s are comparatively week. If Markelo is moved to a mid field role then it leaves RB position open . He’d also be ideal as a wingback if U23s look at using a back 3 .

That’s an interesting one, as a winger Bramall didn’t appear to be much better than others who’d been let go e.g. Nathan Holland. But Unsy seems to have reinvented him last season as an attacking full back. And right back is an area where the U23s are comparatively week. If Markelo is moved to a mid field role then it leaves RB position open . He’d also be ideal as a wingback if U23s look at using a back 3 .

...I must say, I like full backs who are converted wingers. I think it’s an area that should be explored more by clubs.

He played as one of the front 3 in the 1st half of friendly against Coventry today or maybe the game was yesterday

Lad is absolute quality for his age in my opinion. Went to watch the U18s final at Goodison Vs Man City a few years back. City looked like they had ringers they were so much faster and stronger than our lads. But our lot played as a team (no big time Charlies attitude). We won 1-0 with a goal from Harry Charsley, but the absolute stand out player on the pitch for both sides was Joe Williams.

He was playing as a deep lying midfielder and his passing was superb. Whether long or short it was top drawer. He kept hitting wonderful long passes with a lovely fade on them. His passing style (though nowhere near his level obviously) reminded me and my brother of Toni Kroos. The lad could mix it too - flying into tackles everywhere.

Ever since we've kept an eye out for him. Had a few really bad injuries but Unsworth has always raved about him. I know a few Barnsley supporters who are very impressed with him. Bearing in mind it is a big step up physically to play at that level, he seems to have acquitted himself well. Really hope he gets given a chance for us under a proper coach.

There's a part of me that says this is not big and not clever, player could have been seriously injured, etc:

and then there's another part...

He played as one of the front 3 in the 1st half of friendly against Coventry today or maybe the game was yesterday
3-1 to Coventry first team in the end, Nathan Broadhead our scorer, young team first half playing 433, older second half playing 442. Report is on OS. It seems Alex Denny played right back for at least part of the time , it would be good to see the teams though.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back