Everton Youth Teams Thread

In many ways we have had the big problem Eng;and have had, which is producing great players to 16/17/18/19 but ultimately them not kicking on. There is a variety of reasons for this. Last season we played more lads 21 and younger than any other team. We played more than treble all but one team. We always have done really, but they don't kick on. Thats the question that needs to be answered.
I meant to reply to this the other day but didn't get time.

In my opinion, the simple answer is that junior football and senior football are very different beasts. It's not necessarily possible to ensure that players who were good at 16 are still good at 20, because there are natural plateaus. Despite what memes and life coaches might want you to believe, you can't just keep getting better and better at something forever, you'll eventually be as good as you're ever going to be. It's not limited to football, the same applies to everyday jobs. You'll often see someone progress really quickly through a company, but then they naturally reach a point where they stay, because they don't quite have what it takes to move to the next level.

I think fans often fall into the trap of assuming that a player's progression will continue indefinitely. Often people seem to think that just playing more games will automatically make them better, which is a really odd viewpoint in my opinion. I think of players like Rodwell and Galloway for example, and would say that they were never particularly good. They were adequate, but no more than that. People look at it and think 'well if he can hold his own in the PL at 16 just imagine how good he'll be at 23', and then when they're still only as good as they were they believe they've gone backwards. It's like when someone videos a parachute jump, and you think that when the parachute is released the jumper has gone back up in the air, when actually they've just slowed. It's our perspective that's wrong, not the descent of the jumper.

Ouzounidis Signs

Everton have announced that young defender Con Ouzounidis has signed professional terms with the club.

Ouzounidis impressed enough at U18 level last season to earn a call-up to David Unsworth’s U23 side and penned a one-year deal at Goodison Park.
“For anyone who is aspiring to become a professional footballer, to sign your first professional contract is a dream come true,” Ouzounidis said.

“I feel like I’ve came on a lot over the past year. I got injured, which was a blow, but I was in the gym a lot with the physio so that helped me develop physically.
“Coaches like [U18 manager] Paul Tait and Unsy in the Under-23s have helped me out a lot, too.

“Unsy used to be a centre-half and he’s been there and done it for the first team, so he knows what it takes to get there. I just have to take what he says on board and put it into my game.

“He always manages to get the best out of his players, he pushes you because he wants more and wants you to succeed. He wants to help me become the best defender I can be.

“The players are all pushing each other on to do well, too. We’re one big group. Everyone gets on well with everyone.

“It’s important that we all get on. It’s good for team spirit and, when we’re on the pitch, we’re all fighting for each other. Everyone wants the best for each other.”

..most improved. I think a lot of his progress is due to his size and athleticism. He has the physical ammunition, time will tell if he has the ability and attitude.

I meant to reply to this the other day but didn't get time.

In my opinion, the simple answer is that junior football and senior football are very different beasts. It's not necessarily possible to ensure that players who were good at 16 are still good at 20, because there are natural plateaus. Despite what memes and life coaches might want you to believe, you can't just keep getting better and better at something forever, you'll eventually be as good as you're ever going to be. It's not limited to football, the same applies to everyday jobs. You'll often see someone progress really quickly through a company, but then they naturally reach a point where they stay, because they don't quite have what it takes to move to the next level.

I think fans often fall into the trap of assuming that a player's progression will continue indefinitely. Often people seem to think that just playing more games will automatically make them better, which is a really odd viewpoint in my opinion. I think of players like Rodwell and Galloway for example, and would say that they were never particularly good. They were adequate, but no more than that. People look at it and think 'well if he can hold his own in the PL at 16 just imagine how good he'll be at 23', and then when they're still only as good as they were they believe they've gone backwards. It's like when someone videos a parachute jump, and you think that when the parachute is released the jumper has gone back up in the air, when actually they've just slowed. It's our perspective that's wrong, not the descent of the jumper.

I agree with most of that mate. However players at say Manchester United and Liverpool often kick on later than ours. You see 2 lads signed at 10 for us and Liverpool and we would produce the better 16 year old but by 25 I'd back him to kick on more at Liverpool.

I think part of this is undoubtedly that we give more exposure at an earlier age, so of course at times we probably put people in who are more developed and haven't got as much to go. However I think there's a lot more to it than that. I don't think we create winners enough, I don't think we demand enough of young players. It pains me to say it, but Liverpool prepares lads to be winners, speak confidently and be resilient.

Some lads, like Dunne or Mccann even left Everton and had very decent careers, arguably better careers than more talented lads we'd kept!

Other than Osman/Hibbert hard to think of many who have really fulfilled potential.

Liked what ive seen of this boy, which isnt a great deal, be nice if he could break through so we can see if hes got it.

This is why I'm happy with baines for another year or two. We don't need to see him now, we need him to stick around and pass on his wisdom to connolly and Robinson, who could see us sorted for years.

... I said the same thing about Galloway, garnett etc. Though.

We defo need a first choice left back this summer though too early to rely on those young lads when we have loads of money.

This is why I'm happy with baines for another year or two. We don't need to see him now, we need him to stick around and pass on his wisdom to connolly and Robinson, who could see us sorted for years.

... I said the same thing about Galloway, garnett etc. Though.

We defo need a first choice left back this summer though too early to rely on those young lads when we have loads of money.

Im not totally convinced we have lots of money yano.

But for sure we should be keeping Baines.

Liked what ive seen of this boy, which isnt a great deal, be nice if he could break through so we can see if hes got it.

Connolly has always been regarded as highly versatile, playing in all four back positions for our U23s , plus right back on loan . Last season he played mainly midfield for Ipswich holding down his place after a ropey start. In the Toulon u21 tournament he played at right wing back just in front of Kenny who was playing right side of a back three. Again in Toulon he notched up another goal, he’s got a remarkably good goalscoring record for his position wherever he’s played.
I love this kid for his versatility, goalscoring ability and the shear heart he puts into his play. I worry though that I still don’t know his best position, maybe he’s too versatile. Under the right management team he will continue to develop and get better, I just hope it’s with us.

Im not totally convinced we have lots of money yano.

But for sure we should be keeping Baines.

Shhh, this forum won't cope if you don't stick to your "it's not sell to buy" view.

We just need a good manager, siggurdsson, Klaassen, Sandro etc, they're not crap players, they looked shocking last season, but I don't believe we need to spend on loads of players. We'll see.

Shhh, this forum won't cope if you don't stick to your "it's not sell to buy" view.

We just need a good manager, siggurdsson, Klaassen, Sandro etc, they're not crap players, they looked shocking last season, but I don't believe we need to spend on loads of players. We'll see.

We dont need lots of players and I dont think we are skint, skint, just currently being careful, lets go with that.

Interesting to see who's pictured, sometimes this can be significant.

Like many of our young players under Koeman/Walsh I was a little surprised by his treatment last season. I thought he had really grown and filled out and was ready to compete with men. I was actually more impressed with him than Kenny and it looks like he had a very solid season last year with Ipswich. Walsh said "they had big plans" for the under 20's but whether it was his lack of foresight, or the managers belligerence it just didn't show itself.

After playing well in pre season he was bombed out. Almost reminded me a bit of Dowell. You sort of think to yourself, whats the point including them in matches, seeing them performing well only to move them on?

We have a difficult situation at left back really. We've got 2 behind Baines who might be good enough, in Connolly and Robinson. You could probably throw Galloway in too and then you also have Martina. I can understand why Brands is cautious of bringing another in. I sense the decisions were made to loan on the basis of a favour to Martina who I doubt is much better than the above, and certainly would be inferior if they get game time.

Anyway like you I'd like to see Connolly given a chance. If Silva/Brands think the young players need an opportunity before we go wading into the market thats fine by me. Even if he's not a long term pick, the ideal would be to expose him to some PL game time, and ideally move him on for a reasonable fee.

Interesting to see who's pictured, sometimes this can be significant.

Like many of our young players under Koeman/Walsh I was a little surprised by his treatment last season. I thought he had really grown and filled out and was ready to compete with men. I was actually more impressed with him than Kenny and it looks like he had a very solid season last year with Ipswich. Walsh said "they had big plans" for the under 20's but whether it was his lack of foresight, or the managers belligerence it just didn't show itself.

After playing well in pre season he was bombed out. Almost reminded me a bit of Dowell. You sort of think to yourself, whats the point including them in matches, seeing them performing well only to move them on?

We have a difficult situation at left back really. We've got 2 behind Baines who might be good enough, in Connolly and Robinson. You could probably throw Galloway in too and then you also have Martina. I can understand why Brands is cautious of bringing another in. I sense the decisions were made to loan on the basis of a favour to Martina who I doubt is much better than the above, and certainly would be inferior if they get game time.

Anyway like you I'd like to see Connolly given a chance. If Silva/Brands think the young players need an opportunity before we go wading into the market thats fine by me. Even if he's not a long term pick, the ideal would be to expose him to some PL game time, and ideally move him on for a reasonable fee.

From what I remember last season at Ipswich he struggled a bit when originally played at right back, before flourishing in centre mid, so it will be interesting to see what position he eventually settles at, or if he ends up as a perennial utility player in the mould of Harper. If he does end up being good enough for a place in the squad, then his versatility will add a lot of depth across the defence and midfield, making it less of a risk to offload the likes of Martina from the wage bill.

I'm not sure he does mate. A great specimen but saw him against West Ham last season and we were badly exposed at the back.
I agree about Ouzounidis, he’s a big lad , did well at the end of the season but I’m not convinced he has the ability to push on. Feeney and Gibson are our likely Centre back combination, though Feeney is apparently still easing his knees back in so Ouzounidis may get some starts early on. Below him we have three players who have looked better at a younger age, Michael Collins, Ellis Richards, Ryan Astley , so he’ll have a lot of competition once things settle down , which of course is as it should be.

Just watched a YouTube of joe Williams highlights at Barnsley. Heard good things about him but never seen him in the flesh. I know it’s only clips, but when I compare it to clips I’ve seen of other prospective signings, this lad looks good. Don’t want to say who he reminds me of but suffice to say I hope joe never slips up and loses us the league.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back