Everton Youth Teams Thread

Hopefully one or two players get a game or a sub appearance towards the end of the season so we know exactly where they are and if they will be able to make any real contribution next year. Preseason is great but I'd rather play our actual starting XI in the games this summer rather than 9 academy players like we did last year.

I think Kenny will likely play right back long term - as Baines has shown height really isn't an issue in that position - and I wouldn't be surprised if he's pushing for a first team place in a season or two. I'd like Galloway to move into the first team squad but I think he will probably go out on loan into the Championship for a season first. Ledson is probably closest to getting a first team squad place, and possibly Long if he impresses enough at Brentford between now and the end of the season. No idea about Henen but he seems to be doing alright for the U21s.

I think Browning should go on a season long loan to a Championship side so he can get games under his belt. They should put a recall clause just in case of injuries. If Garbutt signs and both Baines and Oviedo stay he should go out on loan as well but to a Premiership team. The rest of them should play for u21's and maybe get a couple of months out on loan but its important they get some time playing the way the club wants as you need to see if they'll fit the system.

Well it would be a great help hey! I imagine we will cover any difficulties with loans. I'm not overly worried about losing players as we do have quality below who could fill in. I think over the next season to see Ledson, Browning and Garbutt to be involved more. Possibly Long. In two years I think Kenny, Walsh and Dowell all stand a decent chance of being in the squad.

I would add donohue to that latter group

Yes Michael Donohue to the list along with Liam Walsh, who has the making of a really good ball playing mid field player,
also Russell Griffiths in goal along with George Green if he can keep himself fit.

You think browning may be good enough to actually replace coleman or at least compete with him next season?

Garbutt I would hope gets games now as we need him to sign and baines is no spring chicken.

Ledson would be great as barry has faded.

Long kenny walsh and dowell you think next wave? For them do you think they can all make the grade or see them as backup squad fillers?

Any real outstanding prospects coming through, green was meant to be the new gazza but seems to have done nothing?

I don't think Browning will ever be able to replace Coleman he is a different type of player. I doubt he'd ever get to Coleman's level but I think he could be a functional solid right back for us. A lot of people see him as a centre back. I suppose I don't. He's a bit on the short side and I think he lacks concentration. As a right back though he's a brilliant athlete and more comfortable on the ball than he's given credit for.

I am not sure on Long. Martinez initially rated him but don't know if he will get a chance. Dowell and Walsh are probably the next closest alongside Kennt.

We don't have any wonderkids or outstanding kids I'm afraid. I know some comments were made about Green, I am not just being wise after the event but I never really bought into the hype over him.

He always seemed to lack a yard of pace, while he was quite skillful I didn't see that transferring onto the big stage. There have also been questions about his dedication and I think he has been homesick.

In all honesty he was a 17 year old dominating games in the under 18's. However the key to look for with Everton is players moving into higher age groups. Players like Ledson, Kenny, Dowell all got regular game time in the reserves as under 16's.

It sounds harsh, but lads dominating games in their own age group is not much of a barometer. It's really those who can do it at a higher age group that you have to keep your eye on.

Have you seen much of Galloway and Henen?

I haven't see too much of either actually a handful of games for both. I know the poster eggs rates Galloway very highly. When I've seen him I think he looks a bit slight for my liking. I've seen him playing left back more though which isn't his natural position.

Henen hardly anything of. I am not sure we will sign him though.

I don't think Browning will ever be able to replace Coleman he is a different type of player. I doubt he'd ever get to Coleman's level but I think he could be a functional solid right back for us. A lot of people see him as a centre back. I suppose I don't. He's a bit on the short side and I think he lacks concentration. As a right back though he's a brilliant athlete and more comfortable on the ball than he's given credit for.

I am not sure on Long. Martinez initially rated him but don't know if he will get a chance. Dowell and Walsh are probably the next closest alongside Kennt.

We don't have any wonderkids or outstanding kids I'm afraid. I know some comments were made about Green, I am not just being wise after the event but I never really bought into the hype over him.

He always seemed to lack a yard of pace, while he was quite skillful I didn't see that transferring onto the big stage. There have also been questions about his dedication and I think he has been homesick.

In all honesty he was a 17 year old dominating games in the under 18's. However the key to look for with Everton is players moving into higher age groups. Players like Ledson, Kenny, Dowell all got regular game time in the reserves as under 16's.

It sounds harsh, but lads dominating games in their own age group is not much of a barometer. It's really those who can do it at a higher age group that you have to keep your eye on.

Callum Connolly must also be considered one of our better prospects as he is an under 17 playing under 18 for England and has played a lot of under 21 games for us this season.

Callum Connolly must also be considered one of our better prospects as he is an under 17 playing under 18 for England and has played a lot of under 21 games for us this season.

Yes absolutely. He again was part of our very successful under 17's group who were head and shoulders the best in the country and in my opinion one of the strongest age groups in Europe. We won tournaments with that age group beating sides from around the world (or losing one on penalties)>

Connoly can also play in midfield. He has an eye for a goal. He is a left back though which we are very richly covered for, I wonder if he could maybe convert into being a right back?

Whenever I have seen him for the reserves I haven't been bowled over by him, but you are right to say the fact he is playing for the reserves at 16 is a better indicator than someone like a Green dominating the Under 18's as an under 18.

Yes absolutely. He again was part of our very successful under 17's group who were head and shoulders the best in the country and in my opinion one of the strongest age groups in Europe. We won tournaments with that age group beating sides from around the world (or losing one on penalties)>

Connoly can also play in midfield. He has an eye for a goal. He is a left back though which we are very richly covered for, I wonder if he could maybe convert into being a right back?

Whenever I have seen him for the reserves I haven't been bowled over by him, but you are right to say the fact he is playing for the reserves at 16 is a better indicator than someone like a Green dominating the Under 18's as an under 18.

He's right footed so perhaps he'll end up a right back. Also being versatile is always an advantage.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back