Everton Youth Teams Thread

Ledson not starting...are they resting him or is there potential for him to be involved with the first team this weekend?

Be a baptism of fire, but if Mccarthy is out...

Ledson not starting...are they resting him or is there potential for him to be involved with the first team this weekend?

Be a baptism of fire, but if Mccarthy is out...

He wasn't subbed on either. He also only played the first 45 minutes on Tuesday. Could mean he'll get on the first team bench or maybe he's got injured in the earlier game? It didn't mention it in the match report if he did.

Maybe Ledson is carrying a knock? It is an interesting set up as we appeared to be playing Connolly as a winger. I could understand bringing Jones back in to add some experience and being a natural full back.

It might just be a bit of a loss of form for Ledson. Or alternatively the senior management might have indicated that he needs to be benched. It could be that they are expecting him to be involved in some way at the weekend or that he has played too many games and needs a rest.

Alternatively we could just want to see the other 3 lads being given an opportunity in midfield. Walsh as I've said before is very highly thought of. Kenny is the captain and it's interesting he's being tried in central midfield, which I think might be his best position. His mannerisms remind me a bit of how Carsley used to play. I haven't seen an awful lot of Davies but he was captain of last years under 16's and is considered a bit of a clone for Ledson.

I wouldn't be overly concerned by him not starting.

The results for the under 21's have been disappointing but in all honesty it's hardly a surprise. 6 of the onfield starters were eligible for the under 18's. Two of the lads who came on were eligible for them. Of the 8 who were involved 3 of them were under 17's. It is a very young side. We were giving Chelsea about a year per player, which at this level makes a big difference. Great exposure though.

Bit off topic but did anyone watch the FA youth cup final between Chelsea and City?

If so was there anyone that particularly impressed you? Neither of those teams have a reputation of bringing through their academy players so always interesting to see if there are any that might be worth keeping track of. Iheanacho was excellent in City's preseason tour so would particularly love to hear any feedback on how he has progressed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=wkCwL-O8kPQ

Bit off topic but did anyone watch the FA youth cup final between Chelsea and City?

If so was there anyone that particularly impressed you? Neither of those teams have a reputation of bringing through their academy players so always interesting to see if there are any that might be worth keeping track of. Iheanacho was excellent in City's preseason tour so would particularly love to hear any feedback on how he has progressed.

Both City and Chelsea have great academies. The problem being they haven't got a chance of breaking through.

Both City and Chelsea have great academies. The problem being they haven't got a chance of breaking through.
Agree, although think that Mourinho is beginning to think about it as part of establishing a legacy like Ferguson's.

But they have so many players on their books that even if one or two break through there are going to be lots left for either loan/purchase and we seem to have pretty good relations with Chelsea at least.

....that's 2 years on the run Chelsea have won it (I think). Both clubs are making noises that they are changing policy and plan to bring players through, they clearly have some very talented youngsters.

....that's 2 years on the run Chelsea have won it (I think). Both clubs are making noises that they are changing policy and plan to bring players through, they clearly have some very talented youngsters.
Will be interesting to see what happens if City change manager.

I like Pellegrini but he seems to have had no desire to play any of the youth team lads, they even got knocked out of the league cup with first teamers by Newcastle who were playing quite a few of their youth squad. Only time I can recall was when they had no strikers fit and they used one lad for a about 45 mins but in the other games reverted to Milner playing up top.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back