Everton Youth Teams Thread

Dave Whelan saw him in the corridor and told him about breaking his leg in the fa cup final?

I seem to remember him giving away a penalty in his first game. It could be something as simple as that and rosler wasn't prepared to start him so he got brought back

......a season ticket holder told me he was really impressive so I suspect it was something off the pitch. Conjecture, but I wonder if there was still some bad feeling following RMs departure and that was taken out on the youngster.

.....spoke to soon, fine run and shot by Holland. Cut in from the right, runs along the edge of the box and unleashes a fierce left foot drive. Fine save by the keeper. Starting to create now are England.

Also half-time in Netherlands-Italy game. Italy leading 1-0. As things stand Ireland need a win of any type to progress whilst England just need a draw.

France have won all their games in group C without conceeding a goal and the second place team in Group D will have to face them in next round, winner of Group D will face Russia instead.

.....with the other game level I think England are top, but on this showing they are not as good as the Ledson years crop. Edwards the stand out for me and he's only 16. Ireland have done well, defenders have had a decent game.

A lacklustre display from England compared to previous games. Yates was solid enough , but didn't make the same impact going forward as he did against Holland, similarly with Holland the player, he had a better game against Italy. Kane had a good game but the other DM didn't offer much, if fit Davies should be a cert to come back in. They'll have to play better but should beat Russia and play the form side Germany in the semi final.

I only saw part of the game last night. My general thoughts. West Hams Centre Half looks a really big lad, and stands out at this level. It will be interesting to see if he keeps growing. The way he was yelling at other players wasn't on though and came across a bit of a knob to me.

The Edwards guy is the player they will all rave over. I have to say I am still a bit sceptical as to how far he will go. He looks the bees knees at this level, but I wonder if his skill set is transferable. He is a very selfish player who is always looking to do it on his own. As he gets older and players against bigger/better players he will have to drastically improve his decision making. On a number of occasions yesterday he had the option of a simple pass to Holland and chose the selfish option, which was frustrating.

As for Holland, going in his favour he is quite quick and skilful. He also possesses excellent delivery from a wide position. Despite his slight build he is quite a traditional winger which is refreshing to see. In the modern game we are filled with wide men who are often forwards, poachers or number 10's being accommodated. He looks a classic winger, in that he looks to get half a yard and put a ball into the box. Sometimes to make it as a pro, being able to do one simple thing quite well can be more important than being able to beat the world ah la Edwards. He has the ability to beat a fullback and delivery good balls into the box, which will always be an important skill.

On the downside he is very lightweight and doesn't put himself about much. His game also appears to evolve around the one manoeuvre, I'd like to see him adding the ability to cut in more. He probably needs to demand the ball more often as he is peripheral at times. It's odd but I'd say Donuhue had more about him as a wide right, but at National level Holland is preferred.

As for Yates, he impressed me again. He has a good touch on the ball, keeps his width well and looks to overlap. He also looks decent in the tackle. Reminds a bit of a right footed Oviedo. More willing to go forward than Kenny was, but he isn't as good as say a Baines would have been.

I only saw part of the game last night. My general thoughts. West Hams Centre Half looks a really big lad, and stands out at this level. It will be interesting to see if he keeps growing. The way he was yelling at other players wasn't on though and came across a bit of a knob to me.

The Edwards guy is the player they will all rave over. I have to say I am still a bit sceptical as to how far he will go. He looks the bees knees at this level, but I wonder if his skill set is transferable. He is a very selfish player who is always looking to do it on his own. As he gets older and players against bigger/better players he will have to drastically improve his decision making. On a number of occasions yesterday he had the option of a simple pass to Holland and chose the selfish option, which was frustrating.

As for Holland, going in his favour he is quite quick and skilful. He also possesses excellent delivery from a wide position. Despite his slight build he is quite a traditional winger which is refreshing to see. In the modern game we are filled with wide men who are often forwards, poachers or number 10's being accommodated. He looks a classic winger, in that he looks to get half a yard and put a ball into the box. Sometimes to make it as a pro, being able to do one simple thing quite well can be more important than being able to beat the world ah la Edwards. He has the ability to beat a fullback and delivery good balls into the box, which will always be an important skill.

On the downside he is very lightweight and doesn't put himself about much. His game also appears to evolve around the one manoeuvre, I'd like to see him adding the ability to cut in more. He probably needs to demand the ball more often as he is peripheral at times. It's odd but I'd say Donuhue had more about him as a wide right, but at National level Holland is preferred.

As for Yates, he impressed me again. He has a good touch on the ball, keeps his width well and looks to overlap. He also looks decent in the tackle. Reminds a bit of a right footed Oviedo. More willing to go forward than Kenny was, but he isn't as good as say a Baines would have been.

....it's a difficult one and it sounds like you have seem more of them than me. On last night's evidence, Holland looks decent but you need to be better than decent. He is a good footballer, as you say threw in some really good crosses given a half yard of space. He did actually cut in once and unleashed a great strike with his left foot from which the goalie made a tremendous save. He is slight but will fill out. He looked a bit tired to me and I didn't see him at his best but I liked that he got in proper goal scoring positions, I love seeing that in a wide player.

I have to say that I thought Yates was no more than ok. Again, there have been encouraging reports so I haven't seen him at his best. I thought his touch was heavy at times but I really don't think the pitch helped. He seems a long way behind Kenny in all aspects of his game but I accept I could be significantly wrong.

They young boy, Edwards has real ability and was the main threat from the outset. I hear what you say about decision making and better quality defenders but he is younger than all the others (I understand) and has confidence in his ability. I'm not too bothered about them being greedy as long as they can back that up with performance. Interesting, though.

....it's a difficult one and it sounds like you have seem more of them than me. On last night's evidence, Holland looks decent but you need to be better than decent. He is a good footballer, as you say threw in some really good crosses given a half yard of space. He did actually cut in once and unleashed a great strike with his left foot from which the goalie made a tremendous save. He is slight but will fill out. He looked a bit tired to me and I didn't see him at his best but I liked that he got in proper goal scoring positions, I love seeing that in a wide player.

I have to say that I thought Yates was no more than ok. Again, there have been encouraging reports so I haven't seen him at his best. I thought his touch was heavy at times but I really don't think the pitch helped. He seems a long way behind Kenny in all aspects of his game but I accept I could be significantly wrong.

They young boy, Edwards has real ability and was the main threat from the outset. I hear what you say about decision making and better quality defenders but he is younger than all the others (I understand) and has confidence in his ability. I'm not too bothered about them being greedy as long as they can back that up with performance. Interesting, though.

It's all about opinions matey. I think you are right to say neither Holland nor Yates smacked me in the face as to say I would nail my hat on them making it (particularly at Everton). Both are only still 16 mind. I remember seeing for example Pennington, or Browning and they were a long way off first team players (indeed so was Anichebe at that age). There is still a lot of developing to be done.

Holland doesn't have enough of a presence, either physically or mentally to stand out in a game. I only saw part of the game so am judging Yates more broadly, I thought he looked solid and looks a natural right back. Not so much a comment on his ability but more a comment on how well he suits the position. I agree Kenny is a long way ahead of him, but there are issues with Kenny and his mobility and ability on the ball going forward as a right back.

Edwards does have real ability. He reminds me a bit of Green for us. He looks too good for that level. He is still in the mindset though of trying to take everyone on and beat them. It's all well and good having confidence but I suppose the big challenge for all of those young players is how they adapt playing against men who are older and more physical than them. It is at that point that decision making becomes far more important. He has a lot of raw attributes, but will need to improve that side of his game.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back