Everton Youth Teams Thread

Jaysus the rules of that U-18 competition are very opaque.

According to the premier league website... group 1 of the final stage is made of the top 4 northern and top 4 southern teams.
How are Man City in group 1 if they finished dead last?

It seems to be all over the place on their website.

According to the premier league website... group 1 of the final stage is made of the top 4 northern and top 4 southern teams.

Their website is just terrible. The 'group stage' tab isn't showing the normal league with the Northern and Southern groups any more, it's showing a mixture of all the 'final stage' results. City are 8th in group 1 of the final stage so it's put them bottom of the league in the 'group stage'. In reality they finished in the top 4 of the Northern group.

Their website is just terrible. The 'group stage' tab isn't showing the normal league with the Northern and Southern groups any more, it's showing a mixture of all the 'final stage' results. City are 8th in group 1 of the final stage so it's put them bottom of the league in the 'group stage'. In reality they finished in the top 4 of the Northern group.

They did an awful job on that webpage!

This is the only benefit of having an ageing squad, the youngsters have a chance to learn from old pros + stake a claim in the squad.

We just need the older guys to last long enough to give the kids time to develop.

....weird that City got the Youth Cup Final and are apparently investing mega bucks in youth recruitment. Perhaps they purchase rising stars over the age of 18 rather than put in the hard work via a scouting network.

I don't think it means these lads are a long way from first team football.
But, it does give us an insight into which way the manager thinks.

He doesn't seem to believe in giving youngsters a "run-out" , it seems that if they are to be involved they must be ready to play a serious role in the squad/team. The learning part of their education is done while on loan at other clubs or in the case of the best talent as Finch Farm working with the senior players.
It tells us that when a youngster gets a first team game he is a first team player or at least a first team squad member. It probably tells us something as well about Garbutt, but in particular Browning...close but not ready yet.

Seems like RM models development along these lines:

Year 0: Final year of youth development
Year 1: on loan to get experience
Year 2: bedding in to first team; lots of practice with squad, lots of watching from the bench
Year 3: introduction to rotation, starting when needed

Browning is still in Year 2, and I don't know that RM would have introduced Stones last year except for injury. I expect Garbutt's issue is nothing more than Baines being in front of him.

Seems like RM models development along these lines:

Year 0: Final year of youth development
Year 1: on loan to get experience
Year 2: bedding in to first team; lots of practice with squad, lots of watching from the bench
Year 3: introduction to rotation, starting when needed

Browning is still in Year 2, and I don't know that RM would have introduced Stones last year except for injury. I expect Garbutt's issue is nothing more than Baines being in front of him.

....managing expectation, we need to realise that bringing youngsters through is not a conveyor belt. Very few make it at the top level. Not sure how much you have seen of Browning, for me he has all the physical attributes but has some way to go regarding defensive quality. First and foremost they have to be good enough, the Premier League cannot be used to trial youngsters.

....managing expectation, we need to realise that bringing youngsters through is not a conveyor belt. Very few make it at the top level. Not sure how much you have seen of Browning, for me he has all the physical attributes but has some way to go regarding defensive quality. First and foremost they have to be good enough, the Premier League cannot be used to trial youngsters.

No doubt. Many players will repeat any stage, I just meant to offer that RM seems to have a concept for how youngsters will transition, and even in best-case scenarios it's a much longer transition than most of us in the FIFA/FM generation expect to see.

I've not seen enough of Browning to comment on him specifically, just that he seems to be at a stage where he may not necessarily feature even if he were ready.

No doubt. Many players will repeat any stage, I just meant to offer that RM seems to have a concept for how youngsters will transition, and even in best-case scenarios it's a much longer transition than most of us in the FIFA/FM generation expect to see.

I've not seen enough of Browning to comment on him specifically, just that he seems to be at a stage where he may not necessarily feature even if he were ready.

....you could be right, it is so difficult to break through unless you are absolutely top drawer. One thing is for certain, when they get a chance they have to take it. The margins are so small.

....weird that City got the Youth Cup Final and are apparently investing mega bucks in youth recruitment. Perhaps they purchase rising stars over the age of 18 rather than put in the hard work via a scouting network.

tbf if you're a billionaire, why would you buy a new house and do it all up yourself when you can just spend loads more money on a lovely fully furnished finished house?

Surely, though, at this stage of the season there's absolutely no point including deadbeats like Alcaraz in the squad? It would make more sense to have Browning; if he's good enough to play against Liverpool and Man U., even if only as sub, then West Ham shouldn't be too stern a test for him, if it's only for 10 - 15 minutes at the end.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back