Everton Youth Teams Thread

@england: Here comes Dani Olmo for Spain. He places down the ball and @will_1huffer saves it!!!! 2-1 England after two pens each

@england: Easah Suliman places the ball on the spot, and slams it in the top corner. Enlgand are going to the World Cup. They've won 4-3 on pens

Ha, 2nd year in a row where the England U17s have won a penalty shootout!

...and he just saved one of the pens to send us to the WC:dance:
He'd been interviewed earlier on in the week and mentioned Krul in the World Cup! Know nothing of the lad but made up for him anyway:dance:
http://www.thefa.com/news/england/d...-u17s-goalkeeper-previews-russia-clash-150515
Goalkeeper Will Huffer is using Tim Krul’s heroics for Holland at last year’s World Cup to ensure he is ready to step up to the mark should he be needed.

The Leeds United youngster is in Bulgaria with the England Under-17s squad preparing for Saturday’s European Championship quarter-final with Russia. He is yet to make an appearance at the tournament so far, but he knows he cannot afford to switch off for a second.

After seeing Krul come off the bench to star for Holland in Brazil last year, and help the Dutch reach the semi-finals with his heroics in a penalty shoot-out, Huffer knows he could be called into action at any moment.

"It’s so important I stay focused – it only takes one tackle or sending off and I will be on," he told TheFA.com at the team hotel in Pomorie.

"Obviously I don’t want that to happen, and I give Paul [Woolston] my full support whenever he needs it, and will always give him a pat on the back when he has done well.

@itvfootball: Zinedine Zidane's son saves three penalties in shootout to send France U17s into Euros final
Zinedine Zidane's son, Lucas, played a crucial role in getting France Under-17s through to the European Championship final.

The young Zidane, who is on the books at Real Madrid, does not follow in his dad's footsteps as an elegant midfielder player, he is instead an impressive goalkeeper.

In the semi-final against Belgium Lucas saved three penalties, but missed his own with a poor Panenka chip.

Last edited:
Great result. We have 3 players in the side all right sided?

@england: Here comes Dani Olmo for Spain. He places down the ball and @will_1huffer saves it!!!! 2-1 England after two pens each

@england: Easah Suliman places the ball on the spot, and slams it in the top corner. Enlgand are going to the World Cup. They've won 4-3 on pens

Ha, 2nd year in a row where the England U17s have won a penalty shootout!

Great result. We have 3 players in the side all right sided?
Only Yates and Davies played in this match but usually Holland is the right winger - he missed a penalty in the last game so that might have been the reason he was rested.

Davies usually plays on the right iirc but I wasn't able to watch any of the matches so one of those who did will hopefully be able to confirm.

From the matches I saw England had a sound defence but poor forwards all trying to play as individuals but not a true goalscorer amongst them. Ok Edwards scored a great goal but the stats say it all : 5 matches ; 3 goals scored , one an own goal; 2 goals against , one a penalty. Keep the same back 6 for the WC but they'll need to do some serious work on ability to score goals.

From the matches I saw England had a sound defence but poor forwards all trying to play as individuals but not a true goalscorer amongst them. Ok Edwards scored a great goal but the stats say it all : 5 matches ; 3 goals scored , one an own goal; 2 goals against , one a penalty. Keep the same back 6 for the WC but they'll need to do some serious work on ability to score goals.

English academy football at many clubs that...........encouraging players to be individuals, not passing, but expressing themselves and showing there own ability is actually encouraged at many clubs (not Everton I may add).

English academy football at many clubs that...........encouraging players to be individuals, not passing, but expressing themselves and showing there own ability is actually encouraged at many clubs (not Everton I may add).

so evertons academy doesnt encourage players to show their ability?

so evertons academy doesnt encourage players to show their ability?

yes but in a more controlled manner.

Liverpool in particular encourages players to be greedy & try to do it all on there own even to the detriment of the team. Pick it up, beat 8 men and if you lose it, win it back and try again. It's all about the individual expressing themselves there and at United whilst Everton and City take a different approach, working on awareness of were others are on the pitch, defensive drills, passing etc.

All these clubs do it different which is quite surprising as you'd expect these grade 1 academies to have some sort of tried and tested plan from a text book that they all work to, they don't, they all have there own plan.

That's a fair assessment Boris, and not a negative for Everton. I made a comment in an earlier post how well Davies, Yates and to a lesser extent Holland fitted into the 4 2 3 1 England system in the same way Ledson/kenny did last year . They are obviously all well coached and disciplined in their system. But it does make it difficult to assess just what their chances are of making further progress - I.e. Just how good are they as individuals , and of course the other aspects, mental etc which define their progress.
The England u21 squad just announced contains Stones and Garbutt. The u17, 18, 19, 20 squads have another 10 players, so 12 in total. Of those Long is a striker, and as far as I can tell only Dowell and Holland could be classified as "individual " midfield 3 players. The other 9 are back six players, showing where our strength lies. Note this obviously doesn't include Ross, Henen, Byrne and other non-England internationals. Roberto has said his target is to develop a 10 so maybe there will be more focus on individual play.... but I guess we haven't done too bad in the past with individuals like Ross, Rooney etc.

Sheedy's five-man shortlist for U18s POTS - Donohue, Thorniley, Connolly, Charsley and Graham. Charsley won

Unsworth's five-man shortlist: Kenny, Galloway, Henen, Pennington & C.Duffus. Galloway won.

Ledson a notable ommision in the U21 list, got the sense he faded as the season went on - burnt out perhaps?
Good to see Henen on the list, would guess that means we are likely to sign him.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back