Everton Youth Teams Thread

Someone asked a similar question a few pages back mate, which I gave a response for, so I won't subject the forum to the full detail of it again!

However in all honesty it could be Dowell or Walsh. Dowell is the more classic number 10. But Martinez spoke of a player who could play in deeper areas and impact the game from deeper, not just the final third, which is definitely Walsh's strength (Dowell is really someone who flourishes in the final third). Along with that Martinez said he was a couple of years away, which suggests more Walsh as he's a bit behind Dowell in terms of development. Could be either though.

i meant could it be this younger fella evans rather than either of those 2.

That under 16's age group is very strong. It was one of the strongest age groups of any side in Europe. We have gone abroad in competitions with them, and beaten some very tasty sides.

Could you see Dowell developing into a withdrawn striker, with Walsh playing as more of a true attacking mid? From what has been written Dowell excels in the final third where Walsh is more box to box...of course how they would fit with Barkley in the side is a conundrum. Seems Ledson might be a defensive mid with sharp passing skills a la a young Gareth Barry. Am I way off base?

He said that he came to the team thinking he was better than everyone else and better than he actually is. Also said that he wasn't bothered about the results because he would be back at Everton regardless.
Not good to hear..this the kid signed from Bradford a few years ago ?

Could you see Dowell developing into a withdrawn striker, with Walsh playing as more of a true attacking mid? From what has been written Dowell excels in the final third where Walsh is more box to box...of course how they would fit with Barkley in the side is a conundrum. Seems Ledson might be a defensive mid with sharp passing skills a la a young Gareth Barry. Am I way off base?

Barkley won't be here by the time they're in the first XI. Ledson is more of a McCarthy type of player than a Barry from what I've seen, offers more attacking presence but is diligent on the ball. Dowell could play just off the striker quite easily I think.

When I first saw Walsh he did play in a more advanced role, but I think he suits playing deeper. He has a very good long and short passing range with both feet. He gets forward and scores, but I see him more as a deep lying player.

Dowell I think probably will be a withdrawn striker/number 10. I don't see him having the strength to play in Central midfield. He might play in wide areas, but lacks a bit of pace.

Ledson as stated above is more of a McCarthy type player. When I first saw him he reminded me of a young Rodwell. The closest comparison (in style) is someone like a Gerrard. He is box to box, tackles well, tall, athletic, good passer. A bit of an allrounder.

As for Barkley, if we can keep him I think he will probably have to be a number 8.

Just on the younger players, who do you think - if any - we will get rid of this season?

Personally wouldn't be surprised to see McAleny, Duffus, Junior & Lundstrum go at the very least. They're into their early 20's now and haven't really seriously flirted with the first team. Any others?

Just on the younger players, who do you think - if any - we will get rid of this season?

Personally wouldn't be surprised to see McAleny, Duffus, Junior & Lundstrum go at the very least. They're into their early 20's now and haven't really seriously flirted with the first team. Any others?

I think Junior and Lundstram will go. Think McAleny will stay as he is only 1 year into 3 year contract. Duffus is injured so I hope they give him a year so we can see what he's like when he gets fit. I think Green might go as he hasn't really progressed as might have been expected.

I agree with 3 of those

I think McAleny has more to offer, and might get loaned out as opposed to outright sold

I think he has potential. He's impetuous and isn't afraid to take on defenders. His Europa League game performance could have gone better in some ways. That being said, if Deulofeu had played the same game, he'd have been excused by his army of fan boys/girls. All the negatives would have been forgotten in favour of the positives. There were definate positives from McAleny in that match. I just think he needs to be refined into a better overall player and a loan spell could help with that. He's at a crucial point in his development and requires patience and assistance from the club and fan base if he's to reach his full potential

Duffus, Junior and Lundstrum are probably on their way in the near future

It's a shame about Junior, as I really did feel he was capable of turning into a good player for us. It just hasn't happened though and I think the dreaded David Moyes "attitude issues" may in fact be relevant in this case

Lundstram just had his confidence knocked by never really getting a chance I think. He didn't play well at Blackpool, but who really did this season? It was a mad house there. I saw him on a couple of occasions for us and he was okay.

I think what's really interesting about this is 1) the young players are playing with the first team and 2) Martinez seems to have a plan with how to develop them between 16-21.

It has been very promising that Martinez has been happy to incorporate larger numbers of teenagers to be around the first team squad. It doesn't happen enough and wasn't happening under Moyes towards the end.
Martinez seems to want to expose the young players briefly, get them out on loan before introducing them at around about 21-22 to fight for a place. The process worked well with Garbutt and Browning. I hope we can see the same results with Kenny, Dowell, Walsh et al.

As for Kenny I think he is also quite classy when I've seen him. he seems comfortable on the ball, but he still needs time to fill out for Centre back. Your assessment of Browning is spot on. He reminds me a lot of Anichebe. Anichebe was never really a standout player in the youth teams. Technically he was quite poor. But he had a fantastic physique and also a manager who valued that in his position.

Likewise Browning was not a standout in youth football. But Martinez has always liked him. He wants his defenders to be quite mobile and is more forgiving of the occasional mistake they may make. He is a brilliant athlete.

interesting about anichebe actually, does anyone think if martinez was manager he would have got given as much of a chance in the first team? personally don't think he would have had as much games anywhere. where it seems martinez likes to keep an eye on the talent aspect, moyes was more focused on the physicality aspects of players hence my question.

love this thread though and his ideas on youth are why i have such a soft spot for martinez. hence why i wasn't calling for his head this season, i see people's reasoning because they're looking more short term, but when i look long term i see a coach who is putting a lot of focus and thought into the whole youth system. the sad fact is that we can't compete with our rivals financially so we MUST have a great youth system and a manager willing to use it to it's maximum potential.

i would have found it a great shame if we got rid of martinez and got someone else in who pays a vague interest to the system but can only really work when given finances to buy 1st team players.

love this thread though and his ideas on youth are why i have such a soft spot for martinez. hence why i wasn't calling for his head this season, i see people's reasoning because they're looking more short term, but when i look long term i see a coach who is putting a lot of focus and thought into the whole youth system. the sad fact is that we can't compete with our rivals financially so we MUST have a great youth system and a manager willing to use it to it's maximum potential.

I feel similarly, in that I love what Martinez says about the academy, and think it's the best way forward.

I'm just hopeful he'll follow through with what he preaches. He has a bit of a habit of saying one thing and either doing another or changing his mind in rapid order. Browning not getting a real opportunity was a bit of surprise, as is the continued saga of Garbutt's contract (although it's tough to judge Martinez on that particular situation alone).

Galloway and Henen will be the next real test. The squad isn't exactly overflowing with CBs and wingers.

We need someone from the kids to create some excitement in the fan base again. A young gun striker or flashy type winger. Someone/something to get us all talking again.

One of the 18 year olds rarely mentioned here is Harry Charsley, he appears to have done well at U18 level for us and I noticed he was an unused sub for Ireland u21 in the friendly with England u21 the other day. That's a nice pointer at his age. Any views from those who've seen him live?

We need someone from the kids to create some excitement in the fan base again. A young gun striker or flashy type winger. Someone/something to get us all talking again.

Not sure I agree. Too many kids get over hyped these days and it can work against them. Kissock, Baxter and George Green are 3 names that spring to mind.

This thread has become my favourite on the forum. I love reading about how we seem to be producing kids who are going to be capable of contributing to the first team in years to come. From what I gather, there's plenty to be excited about with the group we've got in our youth teams without fans putting added pressure on any one individual to become the next Rooney etc. Leave the first team players to be responsible for getting the fan base excited!

Not sure I agree. Too many kids get over hyped these days and it can work against them. Kissock, Baxter and George Green are 3 names that spring to mind.

This thread has become my favourite on the forum. I love reading about how we seem to be producing kids who are going to be capable of contributing to the first team in years to come. From what I gather, there's plenty to be excited about with the group we've got in our youth teams without fans putting added pressure on any one individual to become the next Rooney etc. Leave the first team players to be responsible for getting the fan base excited!
I would love the excitement of another Jeffers, Rooney, Vaughn or Barkley coming through. Local lad that loves the club can only add to the excitement when they break into the first team.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back