Everton Youth Teams Thread

I would love the excitement of another Jeffers, Rooney, Vaughn or Barkley coming through. Local lad that loves the club can only add to the excitement when they break into the first team.

Yep, it's great to see "one of our own" making a break through. Give it 2-3 years and hopefully we'll have a couple. Some are not too far away according to various reports from people who follow the various teams

interesting about anichebe actually, does anyone think if martinez was manager he would have got given as much of a chance in the first team? personally don't think he would have had as much games anywhere. where it seems martinez likes to keep an eye on the talent aspect, moyes was more focused on the physicality aspects of players hence my question.

love this thread though and his ideas on youth are why i have such a soft spot for martinez. hence why i wasn't calling for his head this season, i see people's reasoning because they're looking more short term, but when i look long term i see a coach who is putting a lot of focus and thought into the whole youth system. the sad fact is that we can't compete with our rivals financially so we MUST have a great youth system and a manager willing to use it to it's maximum potential.

i would have found it a great shame if we got rid of martinez and got someone else in who pays a vague interest to the system but can only really work when given finances to buy 1st team players.

To answer our original point, I don't think Anichebe would have done under Martinez. He just didn't fancy Victor from the moment he saw him. His lack of technical ability was probably a big part of that. It's interesting hearing Martinez talk about "number 8's" or "number 9/10/6" etc. He clearly has very particular attributes he wants each position to have.

It's a useful comparison with Browning as I am almost certain he wouldn't have come through under Moyes. Both managers quite liked physicality but in different areas of the pitch. I think Martinez admires technique, but in defenders he does appreciate strength and speed. While the positions are different, the general attributes for both are similar. Physically very strong, technically a bit lacking, and both plucked a bit from obscurity.

I agree with you Martinez. Whatever manager we have in needs to have a strong focus on young players.

One of the 18 year olds rarely mentioned here is Harry Charsley, he appears to have done well at U18 level for us and I noticed he was an unused sub for Ireland u21 in the friendly with England u21 the other day. That's a nice pointer at his age. Any views from those who've seen him live?

Charsley is an interesting one. He played a lot for the under 18's as an under 16. He also got some game time for the reserves. As an under 17/18 though he has seen very little game time for the reserves and seems to have really stalled.

He is essentially a goalscoring midfielder. His best position is a number 10 in the Cahill/Naismith mould. The reserves and academy tend to play with more of a 4-3-3 approach, or if they played 4-2-3-1 the "number 10" tends to be Dowell. He has been shunted out to the wider forward positions which doesn't suit him as much.

I also think players such as Walsh and Dowell have perhaps overtaken him in central midfield, while he hasn't kicked on as say Ledson has.

Charsley is an interesting one. He played a lot for the under 18's as an under 16. He also got some game time for the reserves. As an under 17/18 though he has seen very little game time for the reserves and seems to have really stalled.

He is essentially a goalscoring midfielder. His best position is a number 10 in the Cahill/Naismith mould. The reserves and academy tend to play with more of a 4-3-3 approach, or if they played 4-2-3-1 the "number 10" tends to be Dowell. He has been shunted out to the wider forward positions which doesn't suit him as much.

I also think players such as Walsh and Dowell have perhaps overtaken him in central midfield, while he hasn't kicked on as say Ledson has.

I've mentioned similar about Charsley previously. I think everyone talks about others being top prospects whilst Charsley doesn't get mentioned. But like a Cahill/Naismith he has a knack of being at the right place at the right time for goals and that's a great attribute to have in your locker.

I've mentioned similar about Charsley previously. I think everyone talks about others being top prospects whilst Charsley doesn't get mentioned. But like a Cahill/Naismith he has a knack of being at the right place at the right time for goals and that's a great attribute to have in your locker.

Yes it is. What I worry about though is if he has added much more to his game in that time. I also think he may suffer because the type of position he wants to play is not one we are looking to utilise as much. Having said that, in the youth Derby (I think) he had a very good game from right wing.

Yes it is. What I worry about though is if he has added much more to his game in that time. I also think he may suffer because the type of position he wants to play is not one we are looking to utilise as much. Having said that, in the youth Derby (I think) he had a very good game from right wing.

Yep we have a few good midfielders it would seem, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned ;)

Walsh created the penalty for the first goal with a driving run into the box. Result 2-0 . Playing again Wednesday so Dowell should be capped then. The OS interview with Ledson indicated that he wasn't injured but able to enjoy a break as he didn't get much of one with England u17 playing last summer.
Edit: Apparently it was Roberts not Walsh who was brought down for the penalty.

Last edited:
I caught the last 10 mins on a Russian commentary link, and was disappointed not to see either Dowell or Connolly, presumably both substituted by then. The winning Russia goal was poor defending deep into injury time when a draw looked likely and deserved. Five players in the current u18 squad is impressive , next season's decisions will revolve around those ready to go out on loan , Ledson, Kenny certainly, or whether they should be developed further at FF in our style of play before going out on loan.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back