Everton Youth Teams Thread

The problem is that if the u21s are not so successful then everybody wants to go out on loan, I see Joe Williams is the latest saying he wants a loan spell. While these loan spells are clearly necessary for developing some players , I'd have thought the step after a loan would be back into u21s ready to be available for the first team squad, thus developing a successful u21s too. I could see Long, Pennington, Galloway , Browning playing in u21s this coming season rather than being loaned out , training with 1st team and ready for step up if injuries occur. So a highly competitive u21s near the top if their league can also bring benefits too.

I think that the management team have a plan in place for each player including loans and exposure to first team training. Young players need loans to gain competitive match experience.

I think young players out on loan in the lower leagues (Championship > League 2) would be FAR more beneficial in every sense than playing in the widely known poor U21 league. Yes they're not getting relationships with fellow Everton players the same but they're coming up against real men in a competitive environment. It's why players like Chelsea's Loftus-Cheek are completely wasted because they just dominate the boys in that league.

I'd send majority on loan if would be possible.

I think young players out on loan in the lower leagues (Championship > League 2) would be FAR more beneficial in every sense than playing in the widely known poor U21 league. Yes they're not getting relationships with fellow Everton players the same but they're coming up against real men in a competitive environment. It's why players like Chelsea's Loftus-Cheek are completely wasted because they just dominate the boys in that league.

.....it's a good point. I suppose it depends on where individuals are in their development. Lads like Joe Williams have been at the club for many years and a change of scenery and tougher, open age standard will make or break them. Somebody like Henen, though, is new to the ranks and probably needs time with the coaches.

This seems to be Martinez's view. Doesn't seem like he puts much in the U21 experience except for the younger players.

.....it's a good point. I suppose it depends on where individuals are in their development. Lads like Joe Williams have been at the club for many years and a change of scenery and tougher, open age standard will make or break them. Somebody like Henen, though, is new to the ranks and probably needs time with the coaches.

Henen isn't really an example though. He was on loan last season so obviously in the U21 and when he signs this season I have a feeling he may end up in the first team squad before long.

Anyone heard anything about the lads that got released finding new clubs? I know George Green has signed for Oldham, havnt heard anything about Arlen Birch, Charlie Edge, George Newell or Curtis Langton.

Keep in mind the loan system isn't just to get lads ready for the first team. Most of them aren't going to come straight through in a club like Everton. We're putting them in the shop window for lower division clubs just as much as we are prepping them for first team football with Everton.

Apparently six senior players are out of contract at the end of the upcoming season (Hibbert, Osman, Pienaar, Gibson, Kone and Oviedo). I'll be interested to see if there's any change in how some of the U21 players are handled knowing there are jobs opening up. Should make for a fun secondary follow during the season.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back