Everton Youth Teams Thread

http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/premier-league-giants-send-stopper-to-seagulls-25066/?

Conor Hunt has gone on loan for a month to Colwyn Bay in the Northern Premier League, the article says we've done a deal with them that could see more of our under 21's go there, they'll probably be very short term deals for the younger lads, can't see us sending them there for long, if their gonna make it they need to be playing at a higher level than that.

It's not uncommon for young goalkeepers to play at such a low level though because of the responsibility of being a keeper - not many teams higher up would play a 19 year old with no experience in goal. I'd be surprised if we send many outfield players there.

This chap made an interesting point.

Conor Purcell ‏@Conor_Purcell 18h18 hours ago
@johnmerro1 @ToffeeTV1 Johns right, this has been executed perfectly with Liverpool ignoring youth through the Benitez/Houllier era.

I know its just lids talking on twitter, but it pricked my interest, so thought I would share.

It's got a lot of truth to it. We put the "hard yards" in in Liverpool ten years ago, scouting far more heavily in that area. Liverpool looked further afield. A real open goal for us. It's interesting that in the time we've had Osman, Hibbert, Vaughan, Anichebe, Rooney, Barkley and Rodwell through Liverpool have only really had Flannagan, who's dad played for Liverpool.
(I am excluding players like Duffy, Garbutt, Sterling Ibe etc who were bought in as under 18's).

Not only that but our change to FF has seemed to bring results. The current under 18's group were the first group to be brought through the whole way. The Under 17's group are even stronger (and our strongest for many years). How far FF has played a part we can only speculate. It will be interesting to see how our other younger age groups get along who too have benefited from FF.

Liverpool are amongst the biggest spivs in football. The way they go on about their youth teams is laughable. In the last 3-4 years we have beaten them 5-0, 4-0 and 3-1 (being 3-0 up at half time, but reduced to 10 men stopped that routing). They are light years behind us.

The close the gap slightly by spending large sums of money on foreign players or players from other parts of the country but still get hammered when we play. They have 10 years to catch up on us.

There under 21's do better because they are able to keep a strong squad of 19-20 year olds together. But at under 18's and below we wipe the floor with them.

It's got a lot of truth to it. We put the "hard yards" in in Liverpool ten years ago, scouting far more heavily in that area. Liverpool looked further afield. A real open goal for us. It's interesting that in the time we've had Osman, Hibbert, Vaughan, Anichebe, Rooney, Barkley and Rodwell through Liverpool have only really had Flannagan, who's dad played for Liverpool.
(I am excluding players like Duffy, Garbutt, Sterling Ibe etc who were bought in as under 18's).

Not only that but our change to FF has seemed to bring results. The current under 18's group were the first group to be brought through the whole way. The Under 17's group are even stronger (and our strongest for many years). How far FF has played a part we can only speculate. It will be interesting to see how our other younger age groups get along who too have benefited from FF.

Liverpool are amongst the biggest spivs in football. The way they go on about their youth teams is laughable. In the last 3-4 years we have beaten them 5-0, 4-0 and 3-1 (being 3-0 up at half time, but reduced to 10 men stopped that routing). They are light years behind us.

The close the gap slightly by spending large sums of money on foreign players or players from other parts of the country but still get hammered when we play. They have 10 years to catch up on us.

There under 21's do better because they are able to keep a strong squad of 19-20 year olds together. But at under 18's and below we wipe the floor with them.

...if you're going back as far as Hibbert you probably have to include Slippy Steve in the Reds list.

I saw the "Colwyn Bay" link in the Post , the implication was we would help them out short term if they had a glut of injuries. Very nice guesture , convenient short term location but I'm not sure how much our youngsters would benefit there as opposed to being loaned to a League club.
The little I've seen of Connolly I've been impressed with. I was puzzled that he played for England U17s straight after the European champs win but not in that tournament. Then he revealed in an article that he didn't go because of his exams , a mature decision. Although similar age to Ledson/Kenny his birthday means he'll still be eligible for youth cup this year.
The success of FF at 16/17/18 level seems to have resulted in a barely perceptible shift in our approach, no longer targeting very young players from other clubs like Garbutt / Green but going for older , specific players like Galloway/ Hennin.

just been listening to unsworth on evertontv.

Genuinely could listen to him all day, he comes across as very intelligent, calm but solid coach.

I dunno much about the results last season, but i hope he's been doing as well as he comes across.

Youth development is more important than under 21 results i guess
Exactly. It's all about producing players not necessarily winning teams as crazy as it may seem. In the perfect world our under 18s and under 21s would win the league and have two or three players ready to step up to the first team.
In reality as an academy you have done exceptionally well to get 1 player a year through to the first team squad. What cannot be denied is that the club nurtures young talent extremely well and if players are not to make a career at everton, then they have opportunity to still make a success at lower league clubs.

Matthew Pennington has signed a new three-year deal to keep him at the Club until the summer of 2018.

The Warrington-born defender, who joined the academy aged 11, impressed on loan at Coventry City last season, making 25 appearances for the League One outfit, as well as securing the Sky Blues’ Young Player of the Year award.

Pennington also made two seperate loan spells for Tranmere Rovers in the 2013/14 season, where he scored two goals in 17 appearances.

The 20-year-old, who is equally comfortable at centre-back and right-back, says his temporary spells away from Goodison Park have aided his development.

“’I’m excited to have the opportunity to fulfil my ambition of playing in the first team,” he told evertontv. “It’s obviously a great achievement for myself and my family and I’m really happy to be signing for another three years here.

“I feel like I’ve had a couple of good seasons, with two loans and I feel that has improved me a lot. Every game has helped me because your always learning something new when you’re playing alongside experienced professionals.

“You pick things up in the games and they come thick and fast - it’s a big learning curve.

“Whether I go out on loan again or if I stay around here now, I’m looking to improve and impress.”

Pennington sustained an ankle injury in the closing stages of last season, but, after travelling with David Unsworth’s side to Austria last month, says he is now closing in on full fitness.

“I’m nearly fit now,” he added. “I should be training with the lads in another week. It is a bit frustrating at the moment, watching them train and not being involved but hopefully I’ll be getting stuck in there soon.

“I’ve no doubt I’ll get some pre-season action. Once I’m back in training it might be another two weeks before I’m playing games so I’ll be fit and ready to go for the start of the season.”

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back