Everton Youth Teams Thread

I must have missed them coming on but just seen match report. I still think I would have preferred them with the u23 rather than the shambles that is the 1st team. With a bit of luck that poor performance will show how short we are.
No worries, Simms wasn't overly involved but that's more down to how poor the service was (all game in fairness). John had a couple of nice flashes, he played right wing in front of Coleman.

Good experience for both I think.

I think we can safely say that decisions have already been made about broadhead, Pennington and Connolly. Still expect all 3 to have good careers just not at the top level.

No worries, Simms wasn't overly involved but that's more down to how poor the service was (all game in fairness). John had a couple of nice flashes, he played right wing in front of Coleman.

Good experience for both I think.

I think we can safely say that decisions have already been made about broadhead, Pennington and Connolly. Still expect all 3 to have good careers just not at the top level.

Without doubt they are all good pros shame they've probably lost out a bit by staying too long. Hopefully the club is now going forward in the right direction now. I would have liked to have seen Adeniran amongst the first team as well as I think he is at the now or never point.

Its a balancing act I suppose with young players. You don't want them over exposed as it might destroy confidence but you only really get experience from playing.

For me Broadhead is a “ we’ll never know what might have been”. About 3 years ago I watched a dodgy FA Wales feed of a Wales u19 match when he scored 4 cracking goals, Ben Woodward of the RS and Ethan Ampadu now of Chelsea also played but Broadhead was the star that match. He got about 3 or 4 games at U23s that season, about the same the following season , and only really broke through in the 2nd PL2 winning team before being loaned out last season. It’s doubtful if he’d have broken into our PL squad but I still view him as one who should have got more U23s games younger , and I know others will argue that he probably wasn’t ready then . We’ll never know. But Im more confident these days that our talented youngsters will get their chance earlier, then it’s up to them.

For me Broadhead is a “ we’ll never know what might have been”. About 3 years ago I watched a dodgy FA Wales feed of a Wales u19 match when he scored 4 cracking goals, Ben Woodward of the RS and Ethan Ampadu now of Chelsea also played but Broadhead was the star that match. He got about 3 or 4 games at U23s that season, about the same the following season , and only really broke through in the 2nd PL2 winning team before being loaned out last season. It’s doubtful if he’d have broken into our PL squad but I still view him as one who should have got more U23s games younger , and I know others will argue that he probably wasn’t ready then . We’ll never know. But Im more confident these days that our talented youngsters will get their chance earlier, then it’s up to them.
I just thought I'd go back and see if there were any recent-ish comments from the Burton Albion fanbase, since he seemed to do pretty well there. One caveat some did have was his durability and injury record (hamstrings, I think). I certainly think he would be a good signing for a Championship club who like to bring through younger players (Norwich, Barnsley?). Wrt us, who is he realistically going to replace out of Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison, Gordon and Kean?

LOL what do you expect him to say?
Not lavish absolute praise on a lad pushing to become an elite athlete for beating the definition of part timers. There’s never any challenge from Unsworth, only unwavering praise. Might be very different in private, but there’s never anything that says he wants lads to push on. Only they are brilliant and ready for the Prem.

Not lavish absolute praise on a lad pushing to become an elite athlete for beating the definition of part timers. There’s never any challenge from Unsworth, only unwavering praise. Might be very different in private, but there’s never anything that says he wants lads to push on. Only they are brilliant and ready for the Prem.
Hmm, have you actually read the piece, this is the same Sam Carroll who was getting his info from @Ring master on Saturday. Unsworth isn’t even interviewed, isn’t even quoted it’s “sources close to the player” which probably means a relative on Twitter. Lazy journalism at its best. There’s actually a better post match interview with Unsworth knocking about the Echo .

I must have missed them coming on but just seen match report. I still think I would have preferred them with the u23 rather than the shambles that is the 1st team. With a bit of luck that poor performance will show how short we are.

it's really good exposure for them and gives great confidence to other lads in the youth setup. Obviously these players won't be near the first team during the actual season, but much better getting exposure to first team football than u23 friendlies which they'll have done for a few years now already.

Unsworth is just basically taking himself up when he lavishes praise on his players. Problem is he can't exactly come out and say they're garbage.

....regardless of the level, it’s always a challenge for youngsters who have only played age restricted football to play against men. Bowler and Broadhead had experience last season, but many will not have.

....regardless of the level, it’s always a challenge for youngsters who have only played age restricted football to play against men. Bowler and Broadhead had experience last season, but many will not have.
If it was a case they were playing against Full Time players then I’d agree, but these are lads that rock up of a weekend after a midweek session and play. It’s absolutely baffling why we even bothered. If this level of team is considered a challenge or even one that provides a level of intensity our players should be aiming for then it’s a real worry.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back