Everton Youth Teams Thread

EVERTON U23S

Hansen, Pennington, Ouzounidis, Astley, Connolly, Adeniran, Iversen, Baningime, Hughes, Broadhead, Dobbin
Subs: Leban, Bowler, Anderson, Higgins

Chorley Team
Urwin, Birch, Taylor, Halls, Leather, Baines, Calveley, Shenton, Newby, Miller, Reilly

Jamie Vermiglio - The Boss

We’re now in full-on pre-season mode after going through some light sessions with the majority of the first team since the start of August. It will be great to get all the players together in a game situation and have a first proper look at how the new lads are fitting in. Playing Everton’s youngsters will be a good test for us, as it was last pre-season. Hopefully, with the mixture of players still at our disposal, we’ll give a good account of ourselves

Last time we met

A pre-season friendly last July on a sweltering evening at Victory Park. Everton came away with a 2-0 Victory Park via an own goal and a Manasse Mampala strike.

Nathan Broadhead grabbed his sixth goal in two games as Everton Under-23s defied horrendous playing conditions to record a 1-0 friendly win over Chorley at USM Finch Farm on Tuesday night.

The Welsh forward, who bagged five goals in the young Blues' 7-1 triumph against Runcorn on Saturday, found the back of the net again just before half-time to get the better of the National League North visitors.

Gale-force winds and constant driving rain at USM Finch Farm made it extremely difficult for both sets of players but Everton manager David Unsworth was pleased with how his team coped.

“Both teams deserve a lot of credit for the way they played,” said Unsworth. “Particularly in the first half when there was some good football.

“We were very good in possession and conditions dictated throughout and, all things considered, I thought it was a good game.”

The decisive goal came from a well-worked move. Einar Iversen broke down a Chorley attack and carried the ball forward at pace before sliding a perfect pass into the path of Broadhead who showed great composure to lift the ball over the advancing keeper.

“It was terrific goal and we’ve been asking Einar to get on the ball and drive forward like that,” said Unsworth. “He’s got great energy and great drive and he looks a real player when he picks the ball up and carries it forward. And the finish was outstanding. Nathan looks really sharp and he’s banging the goals in.”

Prior to that, Rhys Hughes had a direct free-kick well saved and Chorley midfielder Mike Calveley fired just over from long distance.

By and large, though, despite some good possession football, clear-cut goalscoring opportunities were few and far between on a very challenging evening more typical of mid-winter than pre-season.

Josh Bowler came off the substitutes' bench at half-time and he was lively, pulling a low shot wide and then testing the keeper after some fine link-up play with Callum Connolly.

Unsworth was justifiably pleased with another victory in what has been a bizarre summer.

“It’s been a different sort of pre-season,” he said. “We didn’t get the opportunity to get a pre-season camp away and we’ve been limited to single training sessions because of circumstances.

“It’s been a unique experience for everyone but the way the players have been able to adapt and the attitude they’ve shown and the way they’ve worked has been first-class.”

-----------------------------------
FROM CHORLEY POV

THE Magpies opened their pre-season schedule with a 1-0 defeat to Everton’s young pros on a wet and windy evening on Merseyside.

Six weeks away from the beginning of the delayed 2020/21 campaign, and with a new, vibrant young squad at his disposal, manager Jamie Vermiglio selected seven new faces in the starting XI, with three youngsters and and eight trialists playing in the second half. Despite the result, the gaffer was happy with what he witnessed.

They were some very pleasing aspect from our performance this evening, and of course some things to work on as well. Our shape looked good, especially without the ball, and although the lads are working their way into pre-season I was happy with what I sawJamie Vermiglio
Conditions at Finch Farm were far from ideal, but both teams coped admirably, keeping the ball on the deck for long periods without ever really testing Nicolas Hansen or Matt Urwin. There were a few nervy moments for both backlines, but no clear cut chances materialised until right on half time. A quick break by the hosts ended with Nathan Broadhead coolly dinking a finish over Urwin to give the young Toffees the advantage at the break.

The Magpies played the final 30 minutes of the game with a completely different side, included under-21 players Kai Shorrock and Malakai. Despite David Unsworth’s side boasting Premier League experience in Matthew Pennington, Callum Connolly and Beni Baningime, the visitors kept to the task at hand, almost forcing an equaliser in the dying seconds; Udoyen Akpan’s close range shot deflecting just wide of the post.

Last edited:
We seem to have a manager who's held onto lads like him, to make himself look better.
Does he have much choice in who's available to him? I'd hope not, just who out of those he picks.
Clearly I did see the score line to know it was an absolute waste of time pal. There’s also been an allowance for professional football clubs to play each other for a good while. That’s how we managed to end last season.

That’s just an excuse really diverting from the fact that we have a group at the club that thinks playing against part time footballers well below the level of physical or technical ability these lads are aiming for is acceptable. Whoever arranged it should be marched out the club. Would have been more worthwhile doing a load of sprints and kicking a ball into an empty net. We wonder why our youth conveyer belt seems to have packed up!
No offense, but you're acting like a complete muppet.
...ha, ha I recall the first team scoring about 20 in a recent pre-season. i think you’ll find the likes of Spurs and Arsenal play friendlies against southern based non-league teams. There’d be lots of organisers marched out of clubs over the years.
I Think Arsenal used to quite regularly friendlies play against one of my local teams, HRBFC, who must be in tier 7/8 I think.

Does he have much choice in who's available to him? I'd hope not, just who out of those he picks.
No offense, but you're acting like a complete muppet.
I Think Arsenal used to quite regularly friendlies play against one of my local teams, HRBFC, who must be in tier 7/8 I think.
Acting like a complete muppet for noting that our youth development system is complete pony? Yeah alright

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back