Everton Youth Teams Thread

Barkley come into the Everton team 2011/12 so technically you said Tom Davies was better if he was the academy highlight in the past 10 years.
Yeah I get that, like I said I thought Barkley was over 10 years, thought he came just after that Anichebe/Vaughan tranche.

Everton u18s 4 Tranmere 0

Tom Cannon's impressive pre-season continued as he struck twice to help Everton Under-18s to a 4-0 friendly win at Tranmere Rovers Under-18s on Saturday.

The young Blues were made to work hard by their resolute hosts in a goalless first half before Cannon broke the deadlock shortly after the break.

Cannon, who hit a hat-trick against Preston North End in an earlier pre-season outing, then doubled his and Everton's tally on the hour mark, with Charlie Whitaker and Seb Kristensen also getting on the scoresheet as Paul Tait's side completed a convincing victory.

"The morale is good and we're pleased with where the lads are at," Tait told evertonfc.com. "We knew where they were with training but we didn't know where they'd be with the games [after not playing since March due to the coronavirus outbreak].

"The last couple of games we've had, we've got up to speed a lot more in terms of our fitness and intensity.

"Tranmere sat in early on and made it difficult for us to break them down and their keeper has made a couple of good saves.

"But Tom Cannon got the goal and it was one-way traffic from there, really.

"We've got a couple more pre-season games now before the season kicks off.

"We've had no injuries, which has been fantastic, and the players' work rate and desire has been second to none, so we're delighted with where they're at, physically and mentally."

Everton Under-18s: Stewart, Hagan (Lowey 46), Welch, Thompson (Kristensen 46), Small (Campbell 46), Price (Warrington 60), Butterfield, Whitaker (McAllister 60), Kouyate, Cannon, Mills.

David Unsworth insisted Everton Under-23s should "never have lost" against Morecambe after they dominated their pre-season friendly against the League Two side at USM Finch Farm.

The young Blues suffered their first summer defeat, going down to a first-half goal.

“It was a very good game and if we had drawn it I would have been disappointed, never mind losing it,” said Unsworth. “It just shows you the importance of not making mistakes and we have to learn from that.

"Where it matters in both penalty boxes was the difference. We made a mistake in our own box which costs us the goal and they got a bit a lucky in theirs when we hit the woodwork.

“We’ve lost a game we should never have lost and it’s a great lesson for the boys.”

Everton nearly took the lead after just five minutes. Josh Bowler superbly skipped past four challenges and was only denied a sensational goal when the ball cannoned back off the Morecambe crossbar.

The Blues were bright in the early stages but couldn’t take advantage of any of the corners they forced and it was somewhat against the run of play that the visitors took the lead.

Goalkeeper Nico Hansen failed to deal with a cross into the penalty area and, when the ball fell to Cole Stockton, he had the simplest of tasks to push it into the net from close-range.

The dangerous Bowler almost scored at the start of the second half when he pulled a low shot just wide from 20-yards and then an angled effort from Rhys Hughes cleared the bar.

In-form forward Nathan Broadhead was desperately unlucky not to add to his pre-season tally when a superbly struck half-volley flashed past the keeper but crashed against the bar.

Substitute Lewis Dobbin came close too late on but it just wasn’t to be for the young Blues against a well-organised Morecambe.

“We’ve dominated the game against a League Two side and we must have had about 80 per cent possession and played some really good football but we just couldn’t find a way to get through,” said Unsworth.

“They were very compact and sat really deep with five in midfield and a deep back four but these are problems that we’ll come up against.

“We decided to go wider and get more width into our game and Josh [Bowler] was outstanding today, he was really sharp and showed his quality.

"The senior boys were very good today and the younger boys have got to get up to that standard quickly.”

Everton u18s 4 Tranmere 0

Tom Cannon's impressive pre-season continued as he struck twice to help Everton Under-18s to a 4-0 friendly win at Tranmere Rovers Under-18s on Saturday.

The young Blues were made to work hard by their resolute hosts in a goalless first half before Cannon broke the deadlock shortly after the break.

Cannon, who hit a hat-trick against Preston North End in an earlier pre-season outing, then doubled his and Everton's tally on the hour mark, with Charlie Whitaker and Seb Kristensen also getting on the scoresheet as Paul Tait's side completed a convincing victory.

"The morale is good and we're pleased with where the lads are at," Tait told evertonfc.com. "We knew where they were with training but we didn't know where they'd be with the games [after not playing since March due to the coronavirus outbreak].

"The last couple of games we've had, we've got up to speed a lot more in terms of our fitness and intensity.

"Tranmere sat in early on and made it difficult for us to break them down and their keeper has made a couple of good saves.

"But Tom Cannon got the goal and it was one-way traffic from there, really.

"We've got a couple more pre-season games now before the season kicks off.

"We've had no injuries, which has been fantastic, and the players' work rate and desire has been second to none, so we're delighted with where they're at, physically and mentally."

Everton Under-18s: Stewart, Hagan (Lowey 46), Welch, Thompson (Kristensen 46), Small (Campbell 46), Price (Warrington 60), Butterfield, Whitaker (McAllister 60), Kouyate, Cannon, Mills.
A very positive pre-season so far - played 4 games, won 3 and lost 1 (PNE won 6-2, Man City lost 7-2, Man United won 3-1 and Tranmere won 4-0. Well done boys.

A very positive pre-season so far - played 4 games, won 3 and lost 1 (PNE won 6-2, Man City lost 7-2, Man United won 3-1 and Tranmere won 4-0. Well done boys.
city was actually 8-2 defeat -Delap scred 1st half hattrick - i had all scorers for city but not who scored for Everton,even one of the own city players missed 2 goals when he said score lol

One of the goals v us last week

Last edited:
I missed any mention of the Man U game , are there any team and scorer details you can supply.,?
The Tranmere game is the first one I’ve seen an “official” team being given , 8 of the 16 year olds starting Campbell on at half time so good distribution of games .
As you say that’s a positive pre season so far.

I missed any mention of the Man U game , are there any team and scorer details you can supply.,?
The Tranmere game is the first one I’ve seen an “official” team being given , 8 of the 16 year olds starting Campbell on at half time so good distribution of games .
As you say that’s a positive pre season so far.
The man utd game was actually said by a man utd fan to be 3-1 to man utd then the same fan said 3-1 to Everton-thats the only mention ive seen

city was actually 8-2 defeat -Delap scred 1st half hattrick - i had all scorers for city but not who scored for Everton,even one of the own city players missed 2 goals when he said score lol

One of the goals v us last week

The full video to what you have attached has been archived as a 7-2 result. I checked the goals and can see 7 for City. Everton actually took the lead and were 2-1 up. It was 5-2 at half time and as you say Delap with a hat trick. Either way it was a great performance from City. They really are a cut above. Reportedly City have spent~£35M on putting together their U18/scholarship side. Crazy!! Goalscorers for us were Reece Welch and Lewis Warrington.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back