Everton Youth Teams Thread

he played for them that much their manager wanted to sign him as they won the play-offs it not a silly rant who has come through successfully since Ross Barkley - Tom Davies who gets dropped unfairly when he has a good game but who else?????
Its more the fact you are going around saying Coleman had 18 months of wasted time out on loan to Blackpool when in reality it was 2/3 months and he was part of the Everton set up the following season. Davies is the only one since Barkley yes but how many of the players are good enough for Premier league football realistically? They go out on loans, don't impress enough to be at Everton and then make decent lower league careers for themselves. Very rarely do any of our released players turn out to be top half Prem level players

Its more the fact you are going around saying Coleman had 18 months of wasted time out on loan to Blackpool when in reality it was 2/3 months and he was part of the Everton set up the following season. Davies is the only one since Barkley yes but how many of the players are good enough for Premier league football realistically? They go out on loans, don't impress enough to be at Everton and then make decent lower league careers for themselves. Very rarely do any of our released players turn out to be top half Prem level players
Coleman should have been sent out on loan for one month - I did make a mistake on the time, but Hibbert was coming to an end of his career .....my example of the mismanagement of our loans was Bowler sent out to Middlesbrough to try and win a place over Bowen a winger who cost West Ham Millions .......

We waste money on so many so called stars Delph etc our younger players rarely get a substitute position on the field - the last manager with Two goalkeepers on the bench ......

Keiren Dowel sold for an undisclosed fee now back in the prem ......

The other lot can get 20 million for under 23 players who have not kicked a ball n the prem.....

Or they have a cheap buy back clause if the player develops into a star player .....

We just don't do thing properly from the top of our club to the bottom chances for young players when we have had to watch dross for half a season to finish 10th.....with players who are so slow.....

Coleman should have been sent out on loan for one month - I did make a mistake on the time, but Hibbert was coming to an end of his career .....my example of the mismanagement of our loans was Bowler sent out to Middlesbrough to try and win a place over Bowen a winger who cost West Ham Millions .......

We waste money on so many so called stars Delph etc our younger players rarely get a substitute position on the field - the last manager with Two goalkeepers on the bench ......

Keiren Dowel sold for an undisclosed fee now back in the prem ......

The other lot can get 20 million for under 23 players who have not kicked a ball n the prem.....

Or they have a cheap buy back clause if the player develops into a star player .....

We just don't do thing properly from the top of our club to the bottom chances for young players when we have had to watch dross for half a season to finish 10th.....with players who are so slow.....
A lot of that is on managers pressure for results in the here and now. Ancelotti was never going to rely on youth, he never has. Silva was under so much pressure he couldn't afford to use youth players who are unproven. Dowell played 23% of available minutes for Norwich last season according to Transfermarkt, I can't see him getting much more in the Prem so its not really a missed opportunity. Would you say John Lundstrum would be a good signing for us? I wouldn't he's relegation fodder level.

It's all well and good saying give youth a chance but if they aren't good enough what's the point? Bowler went to Hull, was a bit part player and got legged. Now going to Blackpool so lets see how he does, not got any hopes for him.

The other lot get big money because off their name and name alone, they can introduce a few players in the cups or league games that mean nothing and their value fly up because the media hype them up. We will ever have the media hype they do so its apples and oranges

A lot of that is on managers pressure for results in the here and now. Ancelotti was never going to rely on youth, he never has. Silva was under so much pressure he couldn't afford to use youth players who are unproven. Dowell played 23% of available minutes for Norwich last season according to Transfermarkt, I can't see him getting much more in the Prem so its not really a missed opportunity. Would you say John Lundstrum would be a good signing for us? I wouldn't he's relegation fodder level.

It's all well and good saying give youth a chance but if they aren't good enough what's the point? Bowler went to Hull, was a bit part player and got legged. Now going to Blackpool so lets see how he does, not got any hopes for him.

The other lot get big money because off their name and name alone, they can introduce a few players in the cups or league games that mean nothing and their value fly up because the media hype them up. We will ever have the media hype they do so its apples and oranges

tbf i think dowell was injured at the start of the season and only established himself in the team in the last 3 months or so of the season.
i will be interested to see how he does in the premier league next season in what is expected to be a relegation team.

Physicality has improved, players are generally bigger, stronger & faster but I fear standards haven’t. The very good ones are not being held back, it’s just that there’s not as many of them.
They definitely have. Back when lock down started they showed an old Everton Liverpool match from the mid 80s, when we were the best teams in the country, possibly the world. Some of the play/players was obviously very good, but the overall level of play was dire.

They definitely have. Back when lock down started they showed an old Everton Liverpool match from the mid 80s, when we were the best teams in the country, possibly the world. Some of the play/players was obviously very good, but the overall level of play was dire.

…it’s an interesting debate and tempered by different pitches, equipment but most of all physicality. Different times, different game but I do think quality has dipped at all levels of the game. The speed is the biggest contrast, certainly the game is played at greater tempo.

Whilst physicality has also improved significantly, the old game was more physical. I think that’s a definite area of improvement, far less cloggers around these days.

…it’s an interesting debate and tempered by different pitches, equipment but most of all physicality. Different times, different game but I do think quality has dipped at all levels of the game. The speed is the biggest contrast, certainly the game is played at greater tempo.

Whilst physicality has also improved significantly, the old game was more physical. I think that’s a definite area of improvement, far less cloggers around these days.

It's interesting though, that while cloggers have gone, the art of tackling has also gone. They are different things as well, foul play and brutality is one thing, but being able to tackle well was always quite a distinctive skill.

I think back to the time I played more, and we had a lad in our school team whom was an exceptional side tackler, he would take the ball cleanly and leave a bit on the man afterwards. That's basically gone now.

It's interesting though, that while cloggers have gone, the art of tackling has also gone. They are different things as well, foul play and brutality is one thing, but being able to tackle well was always quite a distinctive skill.

I think back to the time I played more, and we had a lad in our school team whom was an exceptional side tackler, he would take the ball cleanly and leave a bit on the man afterwards. That's basically gone now.

problem is refs dont know what a good tackle is nowadays

Tame excuses as our main players slumped as old men who had a job to run - look at the Leeds team no fancy names there, but their football is a delight to watch - we have a right back called Small looks brilliant ....
we just need to use them more giving them 20 minutes here & there to blood them the other lot do it ...

Our left back from France played his part looked good - then dropped.... Deign could have played on the left wing etc

I get fed up with excuses you have just given lets sign past it stars its ruining our club .....

….I’m certain the same players would come through the ranks now as 50 years ago. Royle, Husband, Wright, Hurst, Husband, Harvey et al would’ve made It. The difference now is that the numbers are not being unearthed because they aren’t there.

Those lads would only have been attached to Football clubs from the age of 14. They learned their trade in the streets, on the playground, playing schoolboy football at local & representative levels. Now they train with clubs a couple of times a week from 8 years of age, kick the ball about in the garden and play computer games.

I signed for a club as soon as the rules allowed them to sign me, but for 12 months i couldn’t go near them because I was playing representative schoolboy football. Amazing how things have changed. I’m not necessarily saying it was better then, but times have changed, the world has changed.

Physicality has improved, players are generally bigger, stronger & faster but I fear standards haven’t. The very good ones are not being held back, it’s just that there’s not as many of them.
I agree with most of that, going back to the sixties and seventies all the stars had the basics of football and were very good footballers because they had constantly played football wherever they could and whenever they could, now as you say, you never see kids playing football matches in the street,or anywhere else. Many are chosen to go to academies and a tiny fraction make through the Acadamy until they reach sixteen and are then released, often to never to play football again.

…it has. Really good tackling was about timing, Peter Reid was amongst the best at timing a tackle.

Its a shame tackling has virtually gone out of the game but it’s part of a strategy.

Tame excuses as our main players slumped as old men who had a job to run - look at the Leeds team no fancy names there, but their football is a delight to watch - we have a right back called Small looks brilliant ....
we just need to use them more giving them 20 minutes here & there to blood them the other lot do it ...

Our left back from France played his part looked good - then dropped.... Deign could have played on the left wing etc

I get fed up with excuses you have just given lets sign past it stars its ruining our club .....

stop posting here, most of this is drivel
small is 16 and a left back
why would we move our french internation left back to the left wing?!

Right so you want us to play Theirry Small (A left back) at right back who is also only 16, play our best left back left wing and a player who played 3/4 games at left back? I think you need to re-evaluate your stance and arguments here Joey, you're all over the place

Right so you want us to play Theirry Small (A left back) at right back who is also only 16, play our best left back left wing and a player who played 3/4 games at left back? I think you need to re-evaluate your stance and arguments here Joey, you're all over the place
Your negativity we play a centre back at right back in Godfrey????? Now - I have seen 16-year-olds in the past play for the blues supporting them since 1963 - watched the reserves the youth teams players came through - Big Nev was playing non league for Winsford etc we need to stop signing prim donas past it crocks on top wages - with Managers who are past it like the last one who has been sacked many times ......
Big names past it players mega money is not the answer, just look & compare the football Leeds play compared to our first team?

No big names there - just a shrewd manager ..... who trust his set-up .....

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back