Everton Youth Teams Thread

Even David Moyes showed no interest never went to finals etc Osman was sent out on loan to Derby only rave reviews get her him back - he did the same with Coleman sticking with Hibbedt who was way past his best no it's historical, it never happened in days gone by we were proud to introduce yougsters ......found some great ones too......

coleman wasnt a youth team player
hibbert was
seems like you just want to rant

Josh Bowler was never good enough. Not sure its worth crying over a player only deemed good enough for Blackpool not being given a chance. He was also only understudy for half that season as Bowen was sold in Jan. If we gave every high rated kid we signed from 18-21 a chance we'd end up in the conference. Foulds highly rated -Serie C, Galloway - Luton, Garbutt - Blackpool, George Green - Sweden

Even David Moyes showed no interest never went to finals etc Osman was sent out on loan to Derby only rave reviews get her him back - he did the same with Coleman sticking with Hibbedt who was way past his best no it's historical, it never happened in days gone by we were proud to introduce yougsters ......found some great ones too......
Coleman was signed from Sligo Rovers in 2009 for 60 grand. After one half season on loan in the championship he appeared 34 times in the league for us the next season. To say Moyes didn't give Coleman a chance is absolutely baffling. Especially given 'past his best' Hibbert was in an FA cup final in 09

Coleman was signed from Sligo Rovers in 2009 for 60 grand. After one half season on loan in the championship he appeared 34 times in the league for us the next season. To say Moyes didn't give Coleman a chance is absolutely baffling. Especially given 'past his best' Hibbert was in an FA cup final in 09
He came on as substitute v Spurs at home changed the game on a radio Merseyside interview DM the shirts is - sent out on loan .....uneccessary imo as Hibbert was in his Twilight years never as good as Coleman even then ........18 months wasted on loan imo ......

He came on as substitute v Spurs at home changed the game on a radio Merseyside interview DM the shirts is - sent out on loan .....uneccessary imo as Hibbert was in his Twilight years never as good as Coleman even then ........18 months wasted on loan imo ......
He wasn't on loan 18 months he was on loan 3 month and had a hole in his foot before then. This is basic stuff

Where are you pulling a 18 month loan from

Coleman played about 10 games for blackpool. Hardly an 18 month loan.

…I watched lots of the Youth teams (home and away) during the Osman era. He was a genius of a footballer, his size was the only doubting factor but he was destined to come through. He went on loan because he had a serious injury at a key stage in his development (as did Barkley).

You can only introduce youngsters who are good enough. it’s a bit of a nothing statement to say ‘give youth a chance’. Moyes was a prolific watcher of football, I often wondered how he got his wife pregnant.

You and I started watching in the 60s when the world was a smaller & different place. Tommy Wright, Brian Labone, John Hurst & Jimmy Husband et al came through the ranks (the latter two were FA Youth Cup winners in 1965). Those days there were no foreign imports, kids played footy until it went dark.

We’ve had plenty since (Hibbert, Osman, Jeffers, Dunne, Cadamarteri FA Youth Cup winners, Rooney a runner-up) but I think the talent is more difficult to unearth. If they are good enough at Everton they will get a chance but they have to be very special.

Last edited:
…I watched lots of the Youth teams (home and away) during the Osman era. He was a genius of a footballer, his size was the only doubting factor but he was destined to come through. He went on loan because he had a serious injury at a key stage in his development (as did Barkley).

You can only introduce youngsters who are good enough. it’s a bit of a nothing statement to say ‘give youth a chance’. Moyes was a prolific watcher of football, I often wondered how he got his wife pregnant.

You and I started watching in the 60s when the world was a smaller & different place. Tommy Wright, Brian Labone, John Hurst & Jimmy Husband et al came through the ranks (the latter two were FA Youth Cup winners in 1965). Those days there were no foreign imports, kids played footy until it went dark.

We’ve had plenty since (Hibbert, Osman, Jeffers, Dunne, Cadamarteri FA Youth Cup winners, Rooney a runner-up) but I think the talent is more difficult to unearth. If they are good enough at Everton they will get a chance but they have to be very special.
It's now a complete U turn Eggs ......

It's now a complete U turn Eggs ......

…times change, Joey. Rarely see kids playing footy in the street now even in a city like ours. We didn’t know it because it was fun, but having a football at our feet for hours every day honed our skills.

Acadamies have taken over from school football, kids are ditched at 8 years of age and lose interest so do other things. Every now and then a Rooney or Foden turn up but it’s probably more productive to buy promising youngsters. Have a look at top clubs youth systems now and they are smattered with kids from abroad.

I’ve always been a believer that if they’re good enough they will get an opportunity at Everton. Very few young Academy professionals who don’t make it here end up elsewhere in the top flight.

…times change, Joey. Rarely see kids playing footy in the street now even in a city like ours. We didn’t know it because it was fun, but having a football at our feet for hours every day honed our skills.

Acadamies have taken over from school football, kids are ditched at 8 years of age and lose interest so do other things. Every now and then a Rooney or Foden turn up but it’s probably more productive to buy promising youngsters. Have a look at top clubs youth systems now and they are smattered with kids from abroad.

I’ve always been a believer that if they’re good enough they will get an opportunity at Everton. Very few young Academy professionals who don’t make it here end up elsewhere in the top flight.
I agree with all that , but when our club sign crocks like Fabian Delph & Josh king etc etc perhaps reserve football needs to return in the prem ......

You and I started watching in the 60s when the world was a smaller & different place. Tommy Wright, Brian Labone, John Hurst & Jimmy Husband et al came through the ranks (the latter two were FA Youth Cup winners in 1965). Those days there were no foreign imports...
That is scarily the same argument I made a few days ago! That’s my favourite Everton team (1970) and I was saying much as I loved the players I wonder how many who came through the youth ranks would be first teamers today given all the foreign imports. It’s almost feels sacrilege to think about it. The other reality , apart from the foreign players, is that very few English youth players will now make it to play regularly in a PL winning team unless they themselves are at or close to playing full International level.

Coleman played about 10 games for blackpool. Hardly an 18 month loan.
he played for them that much their manager wanted to sign him as they won the play-offs it not a silly rant who has come through successfully since Ross Barkley - Tom Davies who gets dropped unfairly when he has a good game but who else?????

That is scarily the same argument I made a few days ago! That’s my favourite Everton team (1970) and I was saying much as I loved the players I wonder how many who came through the youth ranks would be first teamers today given all the foreign imports. It’s almost feels sacrilege to think about it. The other reality , apart from the foreign players, is that very few English youth players will now make it to play regularly in a PL winning team unless they themselves are at or close to playing full International level.

….I’m certain the same players would come through the ranks now as 50 years ago. Royle, Husband, Wright, Hurst, Husband, Harvey et al would’ve made It. The difference now is that the numbers are not being unearthed because they aren’t there.

Those lads would only have been attached to Football clubs from the age of 14. They learned their trade in the streets, on the playground, playing schoolboy football at local & representative levels. Now they train with clubs a couple of times a week from 8 years of age, kick the ball about in the garden and play computer games.

I signed for a club as soon as the rules allowed them to sign me, but for 12 months i couldn’t go near them because I was playing representative schoolboy football. Amazing how things have changed. I’m not necessarily saying it was better then, but times have changed, the world has changed.

Physicality has improved, players are generally bigger, stronger & faster but I fear standards haven’t. The very good ones are not being held back, it’s just that there’s not as many of them.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back