Everton Youth Teams Thread

…London Boys tended to be a representative team not involved in the National trophy. They did play annually against Liverpool Boys at Goodison or Anfield (I played against Ray Wilkins and a few other future professionals at Anfield), but I’m not aware that fixture is played any more.

Was London not split into 4 regions?

…boroughs, I think. The regions might be the next level up (county level) but I might have that wrong.

I'm going off my dad here, so his memory was never 20/20, but suffice to say Liverpool always produced lots of very good footballers.

Interestingly of the team from my county that did well, the star striker used to play a year up on himself. I once had the privilege of man marking him in my 1st year of senior school when our school played his. I captained our school and he captained his and it was a bit of a battle so to speak, and he just humiliated me. He got a 1st half hat trick and I just couldn't lay a glove on him. My dad was ashamed of me and wouldn't talk to me for the rest of the day. I think it was the day we both knew I wouldn't be making it as a pro in the game haha!

He at least fired the county team to respective glory though.

Tense times for the academy atm. Since the club propaganda loves to tell us how all the youth teams copy the first team tactics they must be anxious to know which manager we are going to get as none of them play anything alike

My prediction for tomorrow is we will announce Ryan Astley has signed a new contract. They seem to announce them one a day first it was Broadhead then Anderson today was John. They do something similar every year they don't announce all at once they like to drag it out. Personally I hope John goes out on loan for first 6 months and gets some open age football under his belt same with Astley but then they've got to come back so the new manager can have a proper look at them and hopefully. They have progressed. I think Anderson is being looked at as an experienced head in u23s can't see him making it here. Broadhead is a strange one as he has definitely outgrown the u23s but could be useful for helping the young lads but that is an absolute waste of a career. Or they may see him as a possible squad filler as he will be on relatively low wages and is versatile. If they loan him out someone needs given a shake as they clearly haven't learned from McAleny, Garbutt and Pennington etc. He will end up leaving for nothing and we will have to subside his wage just because we couldn't make a decision on someone that probably isn't good enough.

Tense times for the academy atm. Since the club propaganda loves to tell us how all the youth teams copy the first team tactics they must be anxious to know which manager we are going to get as none of them play anything alike

And one of the main reasons we can't bring players through is the constant changing of first team manager.
And we're gonna be back here again next summer when we inevitably change again

I was thinking moer on the 16/17 scale, and especially all over europe!
Were are the young irish kids that teams like Norwich seem to bring through every couple of years? Do we have people looking over there?
We did get burned with the 'buying 3 or 4 18 year olds' a couple of years ago with Bowler, Adineran, Foulds & Gibson! So i wonder if that is on our radar....looking at those lads, though that just looked like lazy scouting!

I go through Man Citys under 23s (i know it is Man City so far far easier to get these lads in) but they have signed Edozie from Milwall u18s, Delap from Derby u18s, Rogers from West Brom u18s, Bazunu from Shamrock Rovers, Gbadebo from Leicester u18s, Esbrand from West Ham u18s, Gomes fro m PSG youth, Lavia from Anderlecht, ....i can go on and on! Thats not inclusing the 2 Brazilian lads they have just signed.

As i said, as a kid, City coming in would be hard to turn down, as some kids also tend to treat them as how the U.S kids treat college football, its a great place to learn and get coached, and at the end you have a good selection of teams to go to at the end!
City obviously have the City group, which again, is an atractive proposition for kids, they already have a network of clubs willing to take these lads on loan to furthar there progression!
But surely a couple of very talented kids from all over the country world would think of us as an attractive proposition.

Last summer we saw a very talented Wigan youth team get pretty much tore apart by clubs like Leeds, Brighton & Spurs! Were we looking at these lads? Did we think they wern't better than what we had? Did we not have the budget to bring them in?

I saw a post earlier which sparked my thoughts on this, it was the one were Brighton said there target was 30% of first team minutes come from the academy.
What's our MO? Do we even have one? Or is it all just separate teams and a bit of a club for everyone to hang around?
Certainly re: City it comes down to money mainly I think. They through huge amounts at their youth setup.

The Papa John’s Trophy Round One draw will take place live on Sky Sports at 4:30pm on Thursday 24 June.

The 16 Invited U21 teams will be placed into their respective Northern and Southern section Groups, with the 48 EFL Clubs placed into pre-determined Groups prior to the draw. Consideration has been given to ensure travel time is minimised and recovery time is maximised for players.

In addition, if there is a situation where two teams meet in the Group Stages for a second successive season, then the Club who was at home in 2020/21 will play away in 2021/22. All EFL Clubs will play two of their three matches at home in the Group Stages.

The confirmed Invited U21 teams are as follows:

Arsenal Aston Villa Brighton & Hove Albion Chelsea
Crystal Palace Everton Leeds United Leicester City
Liverpool Manchester City Manchester United Newcastle United
Southampton Tottenham Hotspur West Ham United Wolves

The Papa John’s Trophy Round One draw will take place live on Sky Sports at 4:30pm on Thursday 24 June.

The 16 Invited U21 teams will be placed into their respective Northern and Southern section Groups, with the 48 EFL Clubs placed into pre-determined Groups prior to the draw. Consideration has been given to ensure travel time is minimised and recovery time is maximised for players.

In addition, if there is a situation where two teams meet in the Group Stages for a second successive season, then the Club who was at home in 2020/21 will play away in 2021/22. All EFL Clubs will play two of their three matches at home in the Group Stages.

ArsenalAston VillaBrighton & Hove AlbionChelsea
Crystal PalaceEvertonLeeds UnitedLeicester City
LiverpoolManchester CityManchester UnitedNewcastle United
SouthamptonTottenham HotspurWest Ham UnitedWolves

we didnt enter this last year, right?

…London Boys tended to be a representative team not involved in the National trophy. They did play annually against Liverpool Boys at Goodison or Anfield (I played against Ray Wilkins and a few other future professionals at Anfield), but I’m not aware that fixture is played any more.
They used to alternate it I think, one year played in Liverpool then one in London, I watched Liverpool Boys play London at QPR in 1984, London had Kevin Campbell and Gary Charles in their side.

They used to alternate it I think, one year played in Liverpool then one in London, I watched Liverpool Boys play London at QPR in 1984, London had Kevin Campbell and Gary Charles in their side.

….yep, inevitably there was a future star or two on show from both sides including the year I played. Good memories, I’m sure I still have the programme and a picture or two from that match.

Last edited:

ArsenalAston VillaBrighton & Hove AlbionChelsea
Crystal PalaceEvertonLeeds UnitedLeicester City
LiverpoolManchester CityManchester UnitedNewcastle United
SouthamptonTottenham HotspurWest Ham UnitedWolves

Groups for the Northern section are sorted and Everton after been classed as one of the Invited U21 teams will end in one of the below groups in Tomorrow's Draw

Invited Northern U21 teams

Everton U21,
Leeds United U21,
Leicester City U21,
Liverpool U21,
Manchester City U21,
Manchester United U21,
Newcastle United U21,
Wolves U21

Group A
Carlisle United
Hartlepool United
Morecambe

Group B
Oldham Athletic
Tranmere Rovers
Salford City

Group C
Wigan Athletic
Crewe Alexandra
Shrewsbury Town

Group D
Port Vale
Rochdale
Bolton Wanderers

Group E
Rotherham United
Doncaster Rovers
Scunthorpe United

Group F
Bradford City
Lincoln City
Sunderland

Group G
Accrington Stanley
Barrow
Fleetwood Town

Group H
Sheffield Wednesday
Harrogate Town
Mansfield Town

Groups for the Northern section are sorted and Everton after been classed as one of the Invited U21 teams will end in one of the below groups in Tomorrow's Draw

Everton U21,
Leeds United U21,
Leicester City U21,
Liverpool U21,
Manchester City U21,
Manchester United U21,
Newcastle United U21,
Wolves U21

Group A
Carlisle United
Hartlepool United
Morecambe