Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Youth Teams Thread

….the lack of players coming through is nothing to do with Unsworth, Mike. Indeed, I think it’s a lazy comment to blame things on him. It was Unsworth who went directly to the Board and told them to finance a deal for an unknown at Sheffield United called DCL.

Just mad that our players always seem to rip it up in the youth age groups til they get to U23 level and then stop developing.

Just mad that our players always seem to rip it up in the youth age groups til they get to U23 level and then stop developing.

….do they? When was the last time we won the FA Youth Cup at U18 level or even have a good run in that trophy? Rooney was a solo star in his team and they got the final, we won it the year Osman and Hibbert played.

We have the odd headline maker that posters talk about but the FA Youth Cup is a good benchmark of quality. Ironically, we did reasonably well last season, beating the likes of Man City and reaching the latter stages. It’s why I think there might be a talent in that group.

Don’t look at the U23s for not producing PL players, Unsworth can only work with what he‘s given. Look further back in the age groups. I think you’ll find there’s an issue with recruiting local young talent but I think that’s an issue for most clubs. It’s why the strategy of buying talented youngsters is the most productive (DCL, Stones, Holgate, Lookman etc).

Every young player nowadays is known by every club.

Where we fall down is in players believing us there is a pathway to PL football.

What a lot will do now is go to Man City over us at youth level as they get amazing facilities, private school etc.

Then at 17 they will choose again where to go pro, at that point they need to decide if ready to play now or if they need a few more years developing.

If ready now they want a club where they can actually get in the first team. If not they will stay with the development club and decide again at 19-20.

next month marks 4 years since the under 23's won the prem league 2 trophy

some of the players from that squad: -

Brendan Galloway - Luton - Championship
Tom Davies - Everton - Premier League
Ryan Ledson - Preston North End - Championship
Mateusz Hewelt - Miedź Legnica - Polish 2nd Division
Matthew Foulds - Bradford City - League 2
David Henen - Grenoble - French 2nd Division
Morgan Feeney - Carlisle United - League 2
Kieran Dowell - Norwich City - Championship
Harry Charsley - Mansfield Town - League 2
Gethin Jones - Bolton Wanderers - League 2
Courtney Duffus - Bromley FC - National League
Antony Evans - SC Paderborn 07 - German 2nd Division
Calum Dyson - retired due to injury
Joel Robles - Real Betis - La Liga
Mason Holgate - Everton - Premier League
Dominic Calvert-Lewin - Everton - Premier League
Oumar Niasse - Free Agent
Jonjoe Kenny - Everton - Premier League
Liam Walsh - Bristol City - Championship
Joe Williams - Bristol City - Championship
Callum Connolly - Everton - Premier League
Nathan Broadhead - Everton - Premier League
Anton Donkor - SV Waldhof Mannheim - German 3rd Division
Bassala Sambou - Randers FC - Danish 1st Division
Matthew Pennington - Everton - Premier League
Sam Byrne - Free Agent
Ademola Lookman - RB Leipzig - Bundesliga
Mo Besic - Everton - Premier League
Beni Baningime - Everton - Premier League
Darron Gibson - Salford City - League 2
Tyias Browning - Guangzhou Evergrande - Chinese Super League
James Yates - City of Liverpool FC - Northern Premier League Division One West
Conor McAleny - Oldham Athletic - League 2
Antonee Robinson - Fulham - Premier League
Josef Yarney - Chesterfield FC - National League
Luke Garbutt - Blackpool - League 1
Leandro Rodriguez - Danubio Fútbol Club - Uruguay 1st Division
Conor Grant - Plymouth Argyle - League 1
Jack Kiersey - Free Agent
Jack Bainbridge - Southport - National League North
Louis Gray - Free Agent
Conor Hunt - Burscough Football Club - North West Counties League Premier Division
Chris Renshaw - Halifax Town - National League
Nathan Holland - West Ham - Premier League
Joe Hilton - Blackburn Rovers - Championship
Delial Brewster - Free Agent
Michael Donohue - Football Club United of Manchester - Northern Premier League Premier Division
Daniel Bramhall - Barnsley FC - Championship
this was my post from last season

obviously alot has changed since then i.e. pennington, besic, baningime, connolly have all left the club and robinson got relegated with fulham however dowell is now in the prem and garbutt is in the championship

still all crap though apart from DCL really

Nathan Holland and Dowell the only players in that list who play for another Prem side however Holland is on loan at Oxford this season and Dowell is a reserve player for Norwich

this was my post from last season

obviously alot has changed since then i.e. pennington, besic, baningime, connolly have all left the club and robinson got relegated with fulham however dowell is now in the prem and garbutt is in the championship

still all crap though apart from DCL really

Nathan Holland and Dowell the only players in that list who play for another Prem side however Holland is on loan at Oxford this season and Dowell is a reserve player for Norwich

…I’m not sure what that analysis shows us. I don’t think the problem is at U23 level yet everybody centres on it. A few of that group helped England win a Youth World Cup yet maybe only DCL has stepped up to be a regular full international.

I think all it demonstrates is the massive gulf to PL standard, even for a Youth World Cup winning team (Solanke got Player of the World Cup tournament & is playing in the Championship).

The fact players have failed to establish themselves at Everton is because they are not good enough. Sadly, most aren’t.

Last edited:
…I’m not sure what that analysis shows us. I don’t think the problem is at U23 level yet everybody centres on it. A few of that group helped England win a Youth World Cup yet maybe only DCL has stepped up to be a regular full international.

I think all it demonstrates is the massive gulf to PL standard, even for a Youth World Cup winning team (Solanke got Player of the World Cup tournament & is playing in the Championship).

The fact players have failed to establish themselves at Everton is because they are not good enough. Sadly, most aren’t.

It's shows us naff all, just a nonsensical post

The thing that worries me most is since we’ve been able to sign youngsters again we don’t seem to even be trying too
It’s an odd one that others have commented on . I don’t know all the backgrounds of the recent Scholars, but in the recent u18 and u23s teams only Jagne has been brought in at an age older than 16, and we’ve seen how City, RS etc have bought in effectively in younger ages even though our ban has long ceased. And yet we’ve been linked with youngsters in the £5mill plus range who are currently at Rangers and Sheff Utd. Maybe there‘s a change to paying for semi-established, slightly older players as with Nkounkou and Branthwaite.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back