Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Youth Teams Thread

I understand your sentiments re Kyle John , but we couldn’t really sell him as he was out of contract, then given a two year deal . It’s easy to say three of the 20 year olds , Anderson, Iverson and John won’t play for our first team so get rid, but we still need a functioning u23 team . It’s a difficult balance to get , at what age do you let youngsters go given that optimistically you only get 2or3 players likely to make it in any one year.? At what age are they deemed to be blocking younger players who themselves may not make it?

I think we’re getting there in terms of moving the older ones on early. You can see the structures being put in place even at this early stage of the season : u18s have 1st year Scholars and Schoolboys as their main core, supplemented by a a few older 2nd year Scholars; U23s have 2nd year Scholars as their core , together with younger players at times but supplemented by a few older players. I like that as a model , it requires us to get the u15/16s coming through early , maybe buy in youngsters at 16 and 18 to fill gaps . By the time they reach 20 we’ll have a reasonable idea if they’ll make it . Then it’s whether we give them a reasonable chance at first team football, as few players are so outstanding they can walk into a PL team at 19/20 .

Would the U23 team not function if John left this Summer?

I understand your sentiments re Kyle John , but we couldn’t really sell him as he was out of contract, then given a two year deal . It’s easy to say three of the 20 year olds , Anderson, Iverson and John won’t play for our first team so get rid, but we still need a functioning u23 team . It’s a difficult balance to get , at what age do you let youngsters go given that optimistically you only get 2or3 players likely to make it in any one year.? At what age are they deemed to be blocking younger players who themselves may not make it?

I think we’re getting there in terms of moving the older ones on early. You can see the structures being put in place even at this early stage of the season : u18s have 1st year Scholars and Schoolboys as their main core, supplemented by a a few older 2nd year Scholars; U23s have 2nd year Scholars as their core , together with younger players at times but supplemented by a few older players. I like that as a model , it requires us to get the u15/16s coming through early , maybe buy in youngsters at 16 and 18 to fill gaps . By the time they reach 20 we’ll have a reasonable idea if they’ll make it . Then it’s whether we give them a reasonable chance at first team football, as few players are so outstanding they can walk into a PL team at 19/20 .
i think having 1 or 2 older ones in there isnt the worst thing to be honest.
The 17-18 year olds can learn (providing they are good influences/have learned themselves) a fair bit from 2 or 3 20/21 year olds in the team!

i think having 1 or 2 older ones in there isnt the worst thing to be honest.
The 17-18 year olds can learn (providing they are good influences/have learned themselves) a fair bit from 2 or 3 20/21 year olds in the team!

exactly, i dont think having essentially an u18 team getting battered every week is going to do much for their development either.

Would the U23 team not function if John left this Summer?
You said we should have sold him , I said we couldn’t as he was out of contract , then given a 2 year one, so we could have just let him go . John may well go on loan , but so far he’s been our preferred starting right back and when Anderson has gone off he’s been our only cover at left back so I would say he’s earned his keep so far.

You said we should have sold him , I said we couldn’t as he was out of contract , then given a 2 year one, so we could have just let him go . John may well go on loan , but so far he’s been our preferred starting right back and when Anderson has gone off he’s been our only cover at left back so I would say he’s earned his keep so far.

I hadn't realised it was his last year. He should have gone either way.

Ryan Astley and Rhys Hughes are in the Wales u21 squad. There’s also an “ Eddy Jones of Stoke” included. I’m pretty sure we had him on our books up to u16 and it’s the Edward Jomes who was playing for Wales u15/16 along with Astley, Hughes, Liam Higgins and right back Josh Hosie who was released last year. . Jones never made it with us , apparently he’s a promising left back , ironic given it’s a position we’re currently short in at U23s.

The Crystal Palace u23s game v Everton u23s Friday is getting shown live on Palace TV @Alan Whittle off course because no prem games are taking place
2.99 weekly pass
3.99 monthly pass
PS Al how the heck do you cancel it lol
Finally worked out how to get it cancelled, email them like hell and dont stop till they answer, finally answered after 72 hours and 8 emails to cancel the auto renew, just hope they have stuck to it, dont buy it from Palace TV lol as there is nothing in the about you section or anywhere on the Palace website to stop payments despite them acting as though there is, i think its a Ruse via the website ;)

Is there an issue with what style the youth teams are coached?
Obviously clubs like City get their teams to play a certain style
But we don't have a particular style as a club
Just watching some of the West Brom younger players tonight and they all seem to have pace and skill on the ball and look natural footballers
I don't see that many coming through our ranks with such ability
I confess I'm not an expert on our youth squads but it does seem a tad worrying that we arent bringing through more talent

Is there an issue with what style the youth teams are coached?
Obviously clubs like City get their teams to play a certain style
But we don't have a particular style as a club
Just watching some of the West Brom younger players tonight and they all seem to have pace and skill on the ball and look natural footballers
I don't see that many coming through our ranks with such ability
I confess I'm not an expert on our youth squads but it does seem a tad worrying that we arent bringing through more talent

….I recall Craig Short saying Everton U23 provide the ultimate test in PL2 because ‘they play most like a PL team’.

exactly, i dont think having essentially an u18 team getting battered every week is going to do much for their development either.
I see Man Utd & Southampton have Paul McShane & Olly Lancashire playing in under 23 games as 'on the pitch mentors'
I think thats a fairly good idea.
To be fair, we had Matty Pennington doing that last year

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back