Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Youth Teams Thread

this was my post from last season

obviously alot has changed since then i.e. pennington, besic, baningime, connolly have all left the club and robinson got relegated with fulham however dowell is now in the prem and garbutt is in the championship

still all crap though apart from DCL really

Nathan Holland and Dowell the only players in that list who play for another Prem side however Holland is on loan at Oxford this season and Dowell is a reserve player for Norwich

7 of that list have/are playing PL football.

That's a pretty good number in my eyes from one year's U23 squad myself.

It’s an odd one that others have commented on . I don’t know all the backgrounds of the recent Scholars, but in the recent u18 and u23s teams only Jagne has been brought in at an age older than 16, and we’ve seen how City, RS etc have bought in effectively in younger ages even though our ban has long ceased. And yet we’ve been linked with youngsters in the £5mill plus range who are currently at Rangers and Sheff Utd. Maybe there‘s a change to paying for semi-established, slightly older players as with Nkounkou and Branthwaite.

Haven't we signed some youngsters this season anyway? Like Dylan Graham.

…I’m not sure what that analysis shows us. I don’t think the problem is at U23 level yet everybody centres on it. A few of that group helped England win a Youth World Cup yet maybe only DCL has stepped up to be a regular full international.

I think all it demonstrates is the massive gulf to PL standard, even for a Youth World Cup winning team (Solanke got Player of the World Cup tournament & is playing in the Championship).

The fact players have failed to establish themselves at Everton is because they are not good enough. Sadly, most aren’t.
funny cos we released one who then later became our club captain for six years

everton that

Markelo on his way out to PSV, wonder if we got anything for him or buy back clause., I was wondering where he’s been , presumed it was an injury.We’re slowly moving these players on and unblocking the U23s for younger players.
Everton Under-23 player Nathangelo Markelo has completed a permanent transfer to PSV Eindhoven and will link up with the Dutch club’s Under-23 team, managed by Ruud van Nistelrooy.

With Markelo gone we now have no one in the U23's that is over the age of 20. From players used in pre-season and so far this season the average age is 17.8:

Untitled.webp

Thought John might have been younger.

Thought highly rated at one point? Time to move on?

he was converted to right back a few years ago and did look promising at one point but seems to have stagnated the last year or so. he needs at least a loan and considering right back is our main problem area and he cant get a sniff probably a perm move elsewhere is due.

he was converted to right back a few years ago and did look promising at one point but seems to have stagnated the last year or so. he needs at least a loan and considering right back is our main problem area and he cant get a sniff probably a perm move elsewhere is due.

Should have been sold this Summer.

Mills, Mallon and Quintayne are the options across the two age groups.

The lids kick off their first game in 20minutes away versus Wolves.

Everton U21s (to play Wolves U21s): Taudul, Kenny, Touray, Junior, Browning, Pennington, Kennedy, Grant, Hope, Lundstram, Long.

Everton U21s subs: Springthorpe, McLaughlin, Duffus, Jones, Ledson

Wolves U21s (to play Everton U21s): Flatt, Kostrna, Ebanks-Landell, Ihiekwe, Reckord, Forde, O’Hara, Price, Whittall, Parry, McAlinden.

Wolves U21s subs: Margreitter, Kellerman, Jakobsson, Moli, Cranston.

LOL at Jamie O'Hara.
Interesting looking at the first post with with the team sheet 8 years ago, lundstram being the stand out

Should have been sold this Summer.

Mills, Mallon and Quintayne are the options across the two age groups.
I understand your sentiments re Kyle John , but we couldn’t really sell him as he was out of contract, then given a two year deal . It’s easy to say three of the 20 year olds , Anderson, Iverson and John won’t play for our first team so get rid, but we still need a functioning u23 team . It’s a difficult balance to get , at what age do you let youngsters go given that optimistically you only get 2or3 players likely to make it in any one year.? At what age are they deemed to be blocking younger players who themselves may not make it?

I think we’re getting there in terms of moving the older ones on early. You can see the structures being put in place even at this early stage of the season : u18s have 1st year Scholars and Schoolboys as their main core, supplemented by a a few older 2nd year Scholars; U23s have 2nd year Scholars as their core , together with younger players at times but supplemented by a few older players. I like that as a model , it requires us to get the u15/16s coming through early , maybe buy in youngsters at 16 and 18 to fill gaps . By the time they reach 20 we’ll have a reasonable idea if they’ll make it . Then it’s whether we give them a reasonable chance at first team football, as few players are so outstanding they can walk into a PL team at 19/20 .

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back