Everton Youth Teams Thread

Did we poach Mills or did Leeds let him go?

And to those more familiar with the youth team, I follow TheSecretScout who seem to be very on the ball with youth players/moves etc and our name is never mentioned. The one time it was, was when Small was leaving. A good few PL teams seem to be poaching young talent but not us.

Are our kids already excellent? Do we not have the money or are our scouts rubbish?

Did we poach Mills or did Leeds let him go?

And to those more familiar with the youth team, I follow TheSecretScout who seem to be very on the ball with youth players/moves etc and our name is never mentioned. The one time it was, was when Small was leaving. A good few PL teams seem to be poaching young talent but not us.

Are our kids already excellent? Do we not have the money or are our scouts rubbish?
To give some recent examples, we signed Okoronkwo from Sunderland and Simms was playing for Manchester City before he signed for us.

To give some recent examples, we signed Okoronkwo from Sunderland and Simms was playing for Manchester City before he signed for us.

I recall the Okoronkwo deal but Simms was years ago. I know we got a ban but we dont seem to be very agressive with youth players these days

Simms is here cause Man City released him. Ie: they didn’t think him worthy of a contract.

Our recruitment has been really poor since Martin Waldron left. For all his alleged faults, and he didn’t do anything different to what all these clubs who are aggressively recruiting now are doing, he was excellent at his job.

We’re now lower tier cat 1, behind at least 10 clubs, when the better players are deciding where they want to play.

Simms is here cause Man City released him. Ie: they didn’t think him worthy of a contract.

Our recruitment has been really poor since Martin Waldron left. For all his alleged faults, and he didn’t do anything different to what all these clubs who are aggressively recruiting now are doing, he was excellent at his job.

We’re now lower tier cat 1, behind at least 10 clubs, when the better players are deciding where they want to play.

Is Wauldrons son involved now, as a front for Wauldron?

What do you think he did differently to what we are not doing now?

I really enjoyed last night. Will put more detail up later hopefully, but thought the young left back was fantastic. Hes been described as akin to another Thierry Small, but thought his all round game was better. Very quick as well.

Nice to see the lad from Sunderland show some promise, and Mills looks very good. He looks quick and powerful at that level.

Sheffield United are no mugs, but honestly we battered them. Scored 2, had 2 close ones disallowed and missed a pen. So could easily have been 5-1, and even that scoreline would have flattered Sheffield United.

I think we had 3 schoolboys starting as well, as well as 4/5 involved (not sure if Dixon is an under 16?).

Anyway I thought to a man, all the young lads did well last night.

I really enjoyed last night. Will put more detail up later hopefully, but thought the young left back was fantastic. Hes been described as akin to another Thierry Small, but thought his all round game was better. Very quick as well.

Nice to see the lad from Sunderland show some promise, and Mills looks very good. He looks quick and powerful at that level.

Sheffield United are no mugs, but honestly we battered them. Scored 2, had 2 close ones disallowed and missed a pen. So could easily have been 5-1, and even that scoreline would have flattered Sheffield United.

I think we had 3 schoolboys starting as well, as well as 4/5 involved (not sure if Dixon is an under 16?).

….I thought they stood up well, SU were an aggressive & uncompromising group.

Concerned defensively how easily the CBs were opened up with a single long ball & the keeper could be overpowered as the competition progresses. Full backs look capable and enough quality to provide threat in the top third.

…one of my ‘uncomplicated footballers’. Nothing fancy but very efficient. I always trust him to put away a chance plus he has good athleticism & a bit of his Dads attitude about him.

Not saying he can reach the footballing heights of his Dad but he’s the one I take out the game.

As somebody who clearly remembers Jimmy Husband running the show in the 1965 FA Youth Cup run & watching many fine sides at home and away over the years, I’m not predicting this will be one of those but I love seeing us get through.
Thinking back to last year's cup run, Mills has made terrific progress in those 12 months so I look forward to watching him develop further in the next year or so. Looks to have a great attitude too.

I was also impressed with the left back, Samuels-Smith - first time I've seen him. Not as spectacular or physically imposing as Small, but looked better and keener to defend, as well as being good going forward.

….I thought they stood up well, SU were an aggressive & uncompromising group.

Concerned defensively how easily the CBs were opened up with a single long ball & the keeper could be overpowered as the competition progresses. Full backs look capable and enough quality to provide threat in the top third.

I thought their number 9 was the standout player on the pitch, and we did struggle to handle him.

The goalkeeper is too small to make it IMO.

I thought their number 9 was the standout player on the pitch, and we did struggle to handle him.

The goalkeeper is too small to make it IMO.

….the little no9 was terrific but I felt the two CBs didn’t play as a partnership to combat his threat. I was hoping for better from Welch after watching some backs-to-the-wall displays in last years competition. One terrific tackle in the 2nd half did demonstrate that he has the physical ammunition.

One thing I would add, i’ve played in plenty of those midweek games under floodlights in big stadiums and it takes a bit of getting used to for those experiencing it for the first time.

Dixon is Quintyne who is 17

I agree though we comprehensively battered them though I know nothing of the opposition.

Thinking back to last year's cup run, Mills has made terrific progress in those 12 months so I look forward to watching him develop further in the next year or so. Looks to have a great attitude too.

I was also impressed with the left back, Samuels-Smith - first time I've seen him. Not as spectacular or physically imposing as Small, but looked better and keener to defend, as well as being good going forward
Samuels-Smith is settling in nicely in the u18s at left back , and that was his second Youth Cup game. He’s been played as a left sided centre back with England u16 , and at that level he looked a good size compared to the other15 year olds. Rember Small didn’t play at u18 until he was nearly 16 and was 16 plus when he attracted attention, so difficult to compare physiques just yet . Small was / is certainly more spectacular , and there will inevitably be comparisons , early days yet but Samuels-Smith for me looks to have more composure on the ball, and can play CB , we can’t ask for much more from a 15 year old.

The other schoolboy starter was Martin Sherif , 7 goals at u18 so far this season . It’s been a while since we started two schoolboys in a FA Youth Cup match. Of course it doesn’t mean both will make it , but playing them up early if they have potential is obviously the way it should be.

Its the u23s derby - KO 2pm and NOT Live on TV

Everton are 8th 1 point & 1 place above their Neighbours, Everton have lost 5 & drew 2 from the last 7 away league games conceding at least 3 each away defeat, while Liverpool have won 3 of the last 5 home league games scoring 3 each time they won - They have scored 3 there last 6 home wins, last time they won scoring less than 3 in a game at home was v Everton Sep 2020

Everton u23s Team

1642253761939.png