Everton Youth Teams Thread

Heard we are looking at getting Jenson Metcalf loaned out to Wigan
Wigan are a decent League 1 team , a good challenge where he should play regularly/establish himself .
Wigan also have Calvin Ramsey from the RS on loan, a nearly 21 right back they paid about £5mill for from Aberdeen

Best we avoid Big Dunc’s Caley Thistle for loans to this season though , they’re a bit of a basket case with no money at the moment so he could try to call us for favours .

Seeing that Joshua Zirkzee is about to sign for Man U reminded me of the time he played for our u18s. He and his agent were going around Europe trying to get the best deal. A few on here will remember the CEE Cup where Gordon was player of the tournament and Simms won the Golden Boot award. For some reason I kept the team sheet that day , maybe as it was the first time I’d seen Simms , Gordon had already played at u18 as a Schoolboy.
Anyway Zirkzee was never coming here and went to Bayern.
1720789257161.jpeg

Seeing that Joshua Zirkzee is about to sign for Man U reminded me of the time he played for our u18s. He and his agent were going around Europe trying to get the best deal. A few on here will remember the CEE Cup where Gordon was player of the tournament and Simms won the Golden Boot award. For some reason I kept the team sheet that day , maybe as it was the first time I’d seen Simms , Gordon had already played at u18 as a Schoolboy.
View attachment 264328
Think I watched 2 of the games that tournament and Zirkzee mightve got a combined 5 touches from memory.

View attachment 264328
Not many from that crowd made it. I guess Gordon and Simms is a good return

View attachment 264328
I was at that tournament. Gordon the standout player at the time.

I was at that tournament. Gordon the standout player at the time.
I only saw streams of the games, yeah Gordon was good, i do remember Simms the most though , it seemed like every time the ball was played to him it was likely to hit his knee and go for a goal kick or bust the net if he connected. The difference between him and Gordon was enormous in that tournament, but credit to our coaches and Simms perseverance that he’s got to a decent level.

Last edited:
There’s a good article in The Athletic by Paddy Boyland on how our youth policy and recruitment has changed . Much of it covers recent recruitment and new scholars and some is already covered on here, but he’s done a decent job of research.

A couple of things I didn’t know or missed. Ball winning midfielder Melvin Matos is the brother of Chelsea’s 19 year old Alex and was signed from Norwich. Ademide Akarakiri who we got from Arsenal is still only 15. This surprised me , although Thierry Small was also 15 when he became a Scholar, his birthday 1st August. What puzzles me is Akarakiri’s birthday is down as 16 September 2008, so he’s not 16 for a couple of months. I thought all new Scholars had to be 16 on 1st September ? It does suggest that he’s been playing a year up already, playing against players some nearly a year older.

Boyland seems an alright lad but I don't think he's ever revealed anything I haven't already known about 2 months before anyway
To be fair, not everyone scours twitter or message boards for in depth info on 16 year old footballers from belfast.

Good for him to put that infomation into an actual article in one place were plenty of people can see/read it.

He's an actual journalist who works for an actual publication and not a man pretending to be a winter clothing ensable to 'break news' for likes or subscriptions to a hyperbolic podcast

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.