Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Youth Teams Thread

It’s a fair point, particularly in Scottish football, I don’t know much about S America. The RS signed right back Calvin Ramsay from Aberdeen about 2 years ago after he’d started for Aberdeen as a 17 year old, cost about £5mill. Still young but out on loan to Wigan this season. I suspect that we haven’t spent much on those two, so relatively low risk, although reports from both clubs suggest we’ve taken our usual fair minded approach to dealing with them.
Re Loney, I know that by the time he got his debut to break their “youngest ever” record he was already on his way to us so in that case it was definitely more of a reward than a marketing tool.
Yeah it wasn't specifically against our lads it was more just an observation on a growing trend in football so I wouldn't take too much weight into that specifically.

Only got to look at us to see Small as our youngest player, ISS was set to break that record til Lampard laid an egg at Bournemouth, Patterson is the youngest northern Irish player and Graham and Loney now the youngest from their clubs. A lot goes into these players breaking these records and not much of it seems to be purely down to quality. Admittedly Graham got a fair whack of mins so he very well could've been there on merit.

It becomes a self fulfilling thing though because the more they hype these kids up the more they get snapped up by bigger teams, leading to the original clubs then having to play younger and younger prospects as a result to replace them or persuade them to stay. An Argentinian club just fielded a 14 year old, Brazilians are leaving at 18 having agreed a move at 16-gone are the days of a Neymar or Arthur staying till 20/21.

Arsenal just broke their youngest player record with Nwaneri, they'll probably break it again with Dowman.

Be interesting to see how they do it this season. Across the two age groups we have like, what, 7 strikers?
Would put money on the plan being to loan out about 4 of them only to get takers on about 1 or 2. Similar to when Astley got a new deal only to spend 6 months in the 21s.

Theyve currently got U21s: Whitaker, Okoronkwo, Benjamin, Ebere, Sherif

18s: Graham, Loney, Morgan. Plus whoever is in the 16s they like the look of.

Could argue they'll plan to put Ebere and Benjamin on the wings but that only causes a logjam at winger with Heath, Boakye, Catesby and Beaumont-Clark.

Apologies if this is already known but I understand that Freddie Freedman (son of Palace DoF Dougie Freedman) has joined Everton and will play in the U18 squad next season. A central defender who can also play at full back, he was released by Man Utd’s academy at the end of last season.

Apologies if this is already known but I understand that Freddie Freedman (son of Palace DoF Dougie Freedman) has joined Everton and will play in the U18 squad next season. A central defender who can also play at full back, he was released by Man Utd’s academy at the end of last season.
Is him getting released by United a case of nominative determinism?

Yes he’s featured in the latest “ meet the Scholars” video from the club, if you go back a few days it’s on here.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back