Everton Youth Teams Thread

Not a single academy graduate in the first team squad.

Obviously with the sales of Gordon, Dobbin, Simms, Cannon, Samuel-Smith there are reasons for that but I think we are the only PL club to be in this situation.

I think though Tim you've kind of answered your own question really mate. Over 80m in sales to keep the clubs head above water (more if/when Gordon is sold again) was far more valuable in the end.

It is also worth noting, lots of other clubs would (wrongly) see Brainthwaite as an academy player, as he was signed at 16 I believe.

Hopefully one or two can make the step up this season. Dixon may be the best chance, although maybe Campbell can kick on.

I think though Tim you've kind of answered your own question really mate. Over 80m in sales to keep the clubs head above water (more if/when Gordon is sold again) was far more valuable in the end.

It is also worth noting, lots of other clubs would (wrongly) see Brainthwaite as an academy player, as he was signed at 16 I believe.

Hopefully one or two can make the step up this season. Dixon may be the best chance, although maybe Campbell can kick on.

He was almost 18 for clarity.

Hopefully Armstrong is on the same trajectory as Metcalfe just two years behind , and we develop Metcalfe this season either in-house or loan so that he’s pushing for a squad place in 12 months, much more realistic than expecting Armstrong to be there in 12 months.

I thought Metcalfe was 20-21 for some reason, turns 20 in September. So in terms of age you may be right.

Though, having a highly promising 18 year old as a 5th choice CM in the first team may be just as likely.

Yes, it's a shame but I'm guessing injuries have done for Charlie Whitaker's trajectory, even though he's still only 20. Djankpata's another one around that age.

Loan for Metcalfe. You need men's football at 20 IMO. The U23 league just is getting less and less competitive for me.

If Metcalfe at 20 (september) isnt getting in first team squads this season then probably means he'll be sold. The loan seems a sensible option where be can be assessed before a decision is made.

Where do you think he would be best on loan? England or overseas?

On Armstrong, he was my favourite player to watch last year for the 21s so very intrigued to see how he gets on this year. He's entering the season as an u21 regular and hopefully will get regular chances to train with the first team. He should also get the 3 appearances in the EFL trophy so will have a taste of competitive mens football at 17 years old. Not bad going.

Let's see how he's doing in January after all this experience but not put too much pressure on him.

Anyone in particular he reminds you of player wise?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.