Everton Youth Teams Thread

It looks like Harrison Armstrong had a good came after he came on in today’s behind closed doors 6-0 win against Motherwell .

Teenage midfielder Harrison Armstrong impressed again for Everton as the Blues thumped Motherwell 6-0 at Goodison Park. Sean Dyche’s side built on a dominant performance at Preston North End to add a second win of pre-season against the Scottish Premiership outfit in the behind-closed-doors match.

Armstrong, just 17, finished from 10 yards to make it 3-0 to the hosts shortly after his introduction from the bench. The box-to-box midfielder joined the first team for the game at Salford City, during which he came off the bench, due to injuries in the squad. He has since retained his place before getting on the pitch at Preston and earning plaudits again on Tuesday, when he also played a role in his side’s sixth goal.

It’s what you want mate lads getting a chance and doing all they can to take it.

Not managed to catch a minute of pre season, what does Armstrong play like?
Against Preston he sat deeper and I was v impressed with him, more than the new guy Tim actually, even tho he did pretty well too. Armstrong just had that Modric-esque knack for getting on the ball, retaining the ball and giving the ball to the right man. Some players just seem to have more time than others don’t they and he was one of them.

Not managed to catch a minute of pre season, what does Armstrong play like?
Not seen a single thing of him play myself, but don't know if its the skinhead, but he seems a similar frame and build to Adam Wharton......just to get everyone over excited

Not seen a single thing of him play myself, but don't know if its the skinhead, but he seems a similar frame and build to Adam Wharton......just to get everyone over excited
Mate we were over excited already, on the Zatometer Scale he’s already reached “ Starts in First Team before Christmas “ Level , he could even reach “ Sold to City for £100mill next transfer window” Level this season. 👍 Happy days.

Against Preston he sat deeper and I was v impressed with him, more than the new guy Tim actually, even tho he did pretty well too. Armstrong just had that Modric-esque knack for getting on the ball, retaining the ball and giving the ball to the right man. Some players just seem to have more time than others don’t they and he was one of them.
Interesting you make the Modric comparison, Armstrong has said similar of himself :
“I’ve always tried to model my game on someone like Luka Modric due to his technical ability. But more recently I’ve tried to learn from watching Jude Bellingham, I enjoy what he’s able to do at such a young age. He’s such a leader.”
He signed the maximum 3 year contract last month.

Hopefully Armstrong & Dixon spend a lot of time around the senior team this season and are given the odd run out here and there. Both have something about them and should start learning about top flight footy now if there's any indication that they could make it at the level.

….it’ll be a positive sign if Dixon doesn’t go on loan because it indicates Dyche could use him. I think lots depends on whether we bring another RB in.

….it’ll be a positive sign if Dixon doesn’t go on loan because it indicates Dyche could use him. I think lots depends on whether we bring another RB in.
Think both are to young to go out on loan anyway. Players of that age usually dont do anything on loan at such a young age regardless of ability, usually because managers aren't prepared to gamble on such young players. Loans are best used for your 19-20 year old's who need that first team football, like we did with Dobbin. A year just training with the first team for now will be seen as good progression for both of them. At that age you probably pick up more from training than you do with the obsession of 'minutes'

Hope so is a big chance for the lad with coleman young patterson all having ? If will be here next season
Think both are to young to go out on loan anyway. Players of that age usually dont do anything on loan at such a young age regardless of ability, usually because managers aren't prepared to gamble on such young players. Loans are best used for your 19-20 year old's who need that first team football, like we did with Dobbin. A year just training with the first team for now will be seen as good progression for both of them. At that age you probably pick up more from training than you do with the obsession of 'minutes'
Dixon is 19 i think is an a position we need so agree what your saying keeping him around the first team till jan atleast see how he is getting on training ect might even get some minutes. Then if looks like a loan would help could send him out

Hope so is a big chance for the lad with coleman young patterson all having ? If will be here next season

Dixon is 19 i think is an a position we need so agree what your saying keeping him around the first team till jan atleast see how he is getting on training ect might even get some minutes. Then if looks like a loan would help could send him out
Didnt realise he was 20 in December, my bad.
Agreed then pretty much, if he's a late bloomer a loan at someone like Bolton in January could help.

With the way Everton tend to defend, pushing the defense towards the ball and often have both CDs ahead of the front post when opponents are crossing, do we expect that Dixon will be able to defend the entire width of the goal alone?

Godfrey got all kinds of abuse last season when he as a left back was left alone and outjumped by Solanke.

Playing for Dyche, defending crosses are more important than stopping crosses for full backs. He built a Burnley team with full backs that could act as and defend as CDs. He has never trusted Patterson to the defensive job and time will show if adding muscles will be enough to convince him. Everything I have seen from Dyche is that he want big full backs or experienced players. Preferably both.

While I like what I've seen from Dixon, he has a lot to learn. He needs to play senior football. And I'd be surprised if we don't have 6 or 7 players in the squad that will start ahead of Dixon.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back