Everton Youth Teams Thread

With the way Everton tend to defend, pushing the defense towards the ball and often have both CDs ahead of the front post when opponents are crossing, do we expect that Dixon will be able to defend the entire width of the goal alone?

Godfrey got all kinds of abuse last season when he as a left back was left alone and outjumped by Solanke.

Playing for Dyche, defending crosses are more important than stopping crosses for full backs. He built a Burnley team with full backs that could act as and defend as CDs. He has never trusted Patterson to the defensive job and time will show if adding muscles will be enough to convince him. Everything I have seen from Dyche is that he want big full backs or experienced players. Preferably both.

While I like what I've seen from Dixon, he has a lot to learn. He needs to play senior football. And I'd be surprised if we don't have 6 or 7 players in the squad that will start ahead of Dixon.
my problem with godfrey was he was not a natural defender got away with it because of his pace ect. Agree with you do think others will be aheqd of him, is one of the problems i have with dyche he needs to let the fb go ahead of the wingers and help create space. Maybe dixon could be an option a rwb if he dcided to go with 5 at the back

my problem with godfrey was he was not a natural defender got away with it because of his pace ect.
Some of my concerns with Dixon.

Not seen him that many matches, but enough to see that so much of his game is built around his pace.

Not the worst comparisons in the world, but he give me a little of the same vibes as Bellerin and Wan-Bissaka. Players that look eye-catching but rely too much of they recovery pace. Pace that masks that they don't do the basics very well. Players you expect to reach the very top but ends up peaking early in their career.

Not seen him that many matches, but enough to see that so much of his game is built around his pace.

Not the worst comparisons in the world, but he give me a little of the same vibes as Bellerin and Wan-Bissaka. Players that look eye-catching but rely too much of they recovery pace. Pace that masks that they don't do the basics very well. Players you expect to reach the very top but ends up peaking early in their career.
Some good points there. We’ve known about Dixon’s pace since he first featured at u21 as a 16 year old schoolboy, then like a few of our youngsters he’s been hampered by injury at times. The dilemma for me is his RB position. It’s a reasonable option for Dyche to keep him as cover for the bunch of crocks we have there, but if he’s on the bench it’s rare that you change out your full back in a game unless the starter is having a ‘mare , so he may find actual minutes hard to come by . He's not going to develop unless he can get those match minutes, and I’m not convinced yet he’s got the defensive experience to force his way into the starting line up in the way Branthwaite did last season.

Some good points there. We’ve known about Dixon’s pace since he first featured at u21 as a 16 year old schoolboy, then like a few of our youngsters he’s been hampered by injury at times. The dilemma for me is his RB position. It’s a reasonable option for Dyche to keep him as cover for the bunch of crocks we have there, but if he’s on the bench it’s rare that you change out your full back in a game unless the starter is having a ‘mare , so he may find actual minutes hard to come by . He's not going to develop unless he can get those match minutes, and I’m not convinced yet he’s got the defensive experience to force his way into the starting line up in the way Branthwaite did last season.
If he gets minutes it will be at RM. Dyche doesn’t value his traits in a RB but he loves them in a RM.

Mate we were over excited already, on the Zatometer Scale he’s already reached “ Starts in First Team before Christmas “ Level , he could even reach “ Sold to City for £100mill next transfer window” Level this season. 👍 Happy days.

Hopefully Armstrong & Dixon spend a lot of time around the senior team this season and are given the odd run out here and there. Both have something about them and should start learning about top flight footy now if there's any indication that they could make it at the level.

We'll need a CM in 12months time with Gana and Doucoure out of contract.

Likewise a RB as Young & Coleman will be off.

@blueloon the "Zatometer" would be happy if they were getting time on the bench and maybe a few mins end of the season.

Isn't Wan Bissaka known for how good his defending is?

At 17 for Harrison Armstrong to be getting games in the u21s it suggests he is one to watch, especially getting into the 1st team preseason squad and impressing.

I have no idea about the player but with Doucoure and Gana out of contract next summer, this season is a big opportunity for him in the u21s to be in consideration for the first team squad in a years time.

Steady on now.

Lets wait and see how he progresses.

Current thoughts Nymz?

Rumblings he'll play against Roma and in the first team squad this season...

Sounds alot like Bajcetic at the RS?

Same thoughts as I had a week ago: let’s let him develop. He’s a decent prospect but let him grow. Doesn’t need the pressure of being in the first team squads yet.

…..they find their level and if that’s in and around the first team, that’s where he should be. Dyche and the coaches will know his ability, attitude and application levels.

I have no idea if this lad is a very special talent but if he is, he should be carefully managed but not held back.

…..they find their level and if that’s in and around the first team, that’s where he should be. Dyche and the coaches will know his ability, attitude and application levels.

I have no idea if this lad is a very special talent but if he is, he should be carefully managed but not held back.

He’s barely played any football. At least give him a full U23’s year.

….pointless playing in an uncompetitive comfort zone that doesn’t test him if they think he’s lots better than that.

Interesting we’re having this discussion. I know he’s been involved pre-season but is there a view that he is a very special talent?

Pointless compared to what, being 5th choice CM for the first team and being on a bench all season at 17? Sure it is…

Pointless compared to what, being 5th choice CM for the first team and being on a bench all season at 17? Sure it is…

….i have no idea how good this lad is, but he could play U23 games and be involved with the first team. The level he plays at will depend on him. Being involved with the squad and travelling to away games is all part of the process. Foden was carefully managed but wasn’t held back at City, he was involved in the first team at 16/17.

As I say, this lad will find his level.

….i have no idea how good this lad is, but he could play U23 games and be involved with the first team. The level he plays at will depend on him. Being involved with the squad and travelling to away games is all part of the process. Foden was carefully managed but wasn’t held back at City, he was involved in the first team at 16/17.

As I say, this lad will find his level.

I said he should play U23's, you said it's pointless, now you're saying he could play U23 games... are you feeling indecisive this morning.

I said he should play U23's, you said it's pointless, now you're saying he could play U23 games... are you feeling indecisive this morning.

….ffs, Nymz, I’m just saying it’s pointless leaving him with the U23s for a season if his level is better.

You said give him a ‘full U23 year’, I’m saying don’t hold him back.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.