Everton Youth Teams Thread

A fair point re quality, but I remain unimpressed by Tait, I think Baines has a harder task , 10 or so players changed out every season, his best players promoted to u21. My memory of Armstrong is that initially he played him out wide not in his preferred position , he’s kicked on tremendously this pre season. I know injuries play a big part but there are players like Bates, Patterson, Apter, Ebere, Sherif,Barker who looked like they would push on but haven’t. If the style and progression was good and consistent I could live with it, but finishing next to bottom , one point above the bottom club is poor in my view.

But look mate, we have sold a lot of players on, had an academy ban for players and had a very young team. It has to be factored in.

Thats a fair enough criticism. My point was more that maybe a lot of the players are not much better than league 1 level?
Ah yes, and that’s where the bulk of our Academy products end up , League/ League 2, I watched a lot of League2 on tv last season and ex Everton players were often popping up. My concern was around Armstrong who’s hopefully destined for a higher level and whether Tait is someone who can help his development significantly.
But look mate, we have sold a lot of players on, had an academy ban for players and had a very young team. It has to be factored in.
The sales of Gordon, Simms, Cannon , Dobbin and ISS were fantastic contributors to keeping us afloat, and over the years I’ve often praised Tait and his coaches at u18 level for working so hard with Simms when he was an u18. But only ISS would have played u21s last season. We can’t keep using the Academy ban as an excuse that was 2018. Losing Martin Waldron who was then head of Academy recruitment was probably a bigger blow than the ban itself. I saw a stat that said our average age last season was 19.4 years, in the lower quarter of ages playing in PL2 , but not as young as the RS and others.

Ah yes, and that’s where the bulk of our Academy products end up , League/ League 2, I watched a lot of League2 on tv last season and ex Everton players were often popping up. My concern was around Armstrong who’s hopefully destined for a higher level and whether Tait is someone who can help his development significantly.

The sales of Gordon, Simms, Cannon , Dobbin and ISS were fantastic contributors to keeping us afloat, and over the years I’ve often praised Tait and his coaches at u18 level for working so hard with Simms when he was an u18. But only ISS would have played u21s last season. We can’t keep using the Academy ban as an excuse that was 2018. Losing Martin Waldron who was then head of Academy recruitment was probably a bigger blow than the ban itself. I saw a stat that said our average age last season was 19.4 years, in the lower quarter of ages playing in PL2 , but not as young as the RS and others.
Yet, in our first team we have 2 fullbacks in the first team squad with a combined age of 74 years old .... makes no sense what so ever :(

I think when we played Liverpool we had 4 or 5 under 18s being played to their zero. Slightly anecdotal, but significant.

I'm not sure on how good Tait is, he seemed to do ok with the 18s, but haven't seen enough of the 21s to make judgement. Or how far he has improved Armstrong.

We haven't spent a lot on the academy for 3 or 4 years. The likes of Liverpool, City and Chelsea spend tens of millions every year. Like I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool are at 50m plus. So it's a bit of a different game.

We seem to have been better at pushing people through of late.

Is that not were the majority of academy lads end up? League 1, league 2?

Granted the ones from the likes of Chelsea/Liverpool/City/Utd etc get a Championship move first based off them coming from one of those academy's and then eventually find themselves lower down.

Just off thetop of my head i can think of Paul Glatzel, Tarik Uwakwe, Lewis Fiorini, Charlie Savage, George Mceachran, George Evans, Cameron Humphries, Ben Woodburn all playing in these leagues.

….fancy sending a potential young diamond of a 17 year old to the jurisdiction of another club in another country. I honestly think there’s more risk of ruining him.

If he’s as good as we hope you certainly want to be managing him closely and keeping him with his family.

Imagine all those 16 year olds going to college in different parts of the UK or those kids taking a gap year to travel overseas :eek:

Oh goodness, in a years time those poor 18 year olds heading off to Universities across the globe or, again a gap year.

Fancy sending a 17 year old to a country with a strong history of developing young players. All within an environment which has just acted as a finishing school for a centre back 2 seasons back.

Every person develops differently, just because you may get homesick or have difficulty travelling away from home...doesnt mean that many dont thrive and develop from it.

Imagine all those 16 year olds going to college in different parts of the UK or those kids taking a gap year to travel overseas :eek:

Oh goodness, in a years time those poor 18 year olds heading off to Universities across the globe or, again a gap year.

Fancy sending a 17 year old to a country with a strong history of developing young players. All within an environment which has just acted as a finishing school for a centre back 2 seasons back.

Every person develops differently, just because you may get homesick or have difficulty travelling away from home...doesnt mean that many dont thrive and develop from it.

….ha, ha, imagine if Guardiola had sent Palmer and Foden to Holland at 17, just as they were getting first team game time.

I don’t know how good this kid is but you certainly want to fully control what happens to him.

….ha, ha, imagine if Guardiola had sent Palmer and Foden to Holland at 17, just as they were getting first team game time.

I don’t know how good this kid is but you certainly want to fully control what happens to him.

They could have turned out better. You have no idea, neither do i.

Every person is different.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.