Everton Youth Teams Thread

It’s been interesting reading the various comment and differing views on Harrison Armstrong. I’m very comfortable with what Dyche/ Thelwell have done with his progress this pre season, training with and playing for the first team and getting decent run outs for his age . Importantly Dyche played him in his best position, moving others like Metcalfe out at times to ensure this . I’m probably in the minority in that I actually trust Dyche/ Thelwell to make the right decisions on his future. I can’t recall any 2nd year scholars in recent years going out on loan in August , Liam Walsh went out to Yeovil after Christmas , so I think he’s unlikely to be loaned out this year.

My concerns are more around Paul Tait and the u21s. I saw nothing last season to convince me that Tait is anything other than a solid club coach who can develop our young players beyond being League1/ League 2 standard. Training with the first team is an excellent basis, but Armstrong will need regular 90 minutes and playing in a turgid u21 system doesn’t cut it for me.
While Tait didn't impress me at all last season, it may also be important to recognise he had absolutely every player with any ability stripped from him last season. And he did still fast track Armstrong.

Last season was horrific but his track record with Simms, Gordon, Cannon, ISS and Price does indicate if you hand him the tools it's not a disaster. That season we beat PSG with Price and Cannon was a very good side.

While Tait didn't impress me at all last season, it may also be important to recognise he had absolutely every player with any ability stripped from him last season. And he did still fast track Armstrong.

Last season was horrific but his track record with Simms, Gordon, Cannon, ISS and Price does indicate if you hand him the tools it's not a disaster. That season we beat PSG with Price and Cannon was a very good side.
A fair point re quality, but I remain unimpressed by Tait, I think Baines has a harder task , 10 or so players changed out every season, his best players promoted to u21. My memory of Armstrong is that initially he played him out wide not in his preferred position , he’s kicked on tremendously this pre season. I know injuries play a big part but there are players like Bates, Patterson, Apter, Ebere, Sherif,Barker who looked like they would push on but haven’t. If the style and progression was good and consistent I could live with it, but finishing next to bottom , one point above the bottom club is poor in my view.

A fair point re quality, but I remain unimpressed by Tait, I think Baines has a harder task , 10 or so players changed out every season, his best players promoted to u21. My memory of Armstrong is that initially he played him out wide not in his preferred position , he’s kicked on tremendously this pre season. I know injuries play a big part but there are players like Bates, Patterson, Apter, Ebere, Sherif,Barker who looked like they would push on but haven’t. If the style and progression was good and consistent I could live with it, but finishing next to bottom , one point above the bottom club is poor in my view.
Think you have a good piont there mate.
When you watch the 21's you see players coming in looking OK,
But they seem to stagnate not go up a level like you would expect.
Style of play is all over the place as well.
Honestly they lack any excitement.
They should be doing better.

Well that goes without saying. But if they are good enough to be bit part players for us they should be good enough to get regular games for a lower level side, and if they are not then there is no way they were going to do so for us. Either way the experience will benefit them.
Antony Gordon is a perfect example of this not being the case.
Preston barely gave him a game on his loan, wonder if Preston fans would of thought he is worth £40m, same could go for Branthwaite at Blackburn

Yeah, obviously having better coaching etc is important, but there comes a time when the best/only way they're going to improve is by actually playing. You can't coach or train match experience.
Your putting a lot of emphasis on giving minutes to a 17 year old lad who is probably in a great frame of mind right now working and training with the first team, with a little pre season taste.
What would a mad mistake, even in a game we are 3-0 up in do for him.

He's doing great, no rush whatsoever.

It’s been interesting reading the various comment and differing views on Harrison Armstrong. I’m very comfortable with what Dyche/ Thelwell have done with his progress this pre season, training with and playing for the first team and getting decent run outs for his age . Importantly Dyche played him in his best position, moving others like Metcalfe out at times to ensure this . I’m probably in the minority in that I actually trust Dyche/ Thelwell to make the right decisions on his future. I can’t recall any 2nd year scholars in recent years going out on loan in August , Liam Walsh went out to Yeovil after Christmas , so I think he’s unlikely to be loaned out this year.

My concerns are more around Paul Tait and the u21s. I saw nothing last season to convince me that Tait is anything other than a solid club coach who can develop our young players beyond being League1/ League 2 standard. Training with the first team is an excellent basis, but Armstrong will need regular 90 minutes and playing in a turgid u21 system doesn’t cut it for me.

How would you feel about a loan to Holland?

Not as physical as England and more on developing technical ability and positioning.

How would you feel about a loan to Holland?

Not as physical as England and more on developing technical ability and positioning.
Unless its at one of the top 4 sides I'd find it rather pointless.

Branthwaite did great over there, but that was after 3 seasons of a professional footballer training with grown ups every day.

As a previous poster has put on here. I actually trust Dyche to do a good job with him and just allow his next step to be 'train with the big boys'

Naw, not for me , too young , let’s trust in Dyche , although Thelwell may be thinking about such a loan just to annoy @Eggs 😂

….fancy sending a potential young diamond of a 17 year old to the jurisdiction of another club in another country. I honestly think there’s more risk of ruining him.

If he’s as good as we hope you certainly want to be managing him closely and keeping him with his family.

I’m not clear which “ level” you mean mate . Yes obviously he’s been limited by what’s been recognised as a couple of really poor quality intake years. I just don’t see any consistent playing style and development in our u21s .

Thats a fair enough criticism. My point was more that maybe a lot of the players are not much better than league 1 level?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back