Everton Youth Teams Thread

If it was number 2 I've spent all tournament thinking it was Rocco Lambert ha
I *think* #6 is Melvin Matos.
I “ think” you’re right on both those , Lambert 2, Matos at 6 was my MOTM for us. No 4 looked pretty solid , if unspectacular at CB , putting in lots of tackles again I’m guessing - Freddie Freeman.? I picked up Gardner, Wren, Loney, Graham , Akarakiri , Roberts , Moses , Doug of course, the rest I guess where u15/16. 19 and 3 got a lot of game time , any names anyone? Add any corrections/additions to this .no 5 ?

Last edited:
I “ think” you’re right on both those , Lambert 2, Matos at 6 was my MOTM for us. No 4 looked pretty so.id , if unspectacular at CB , putting in lots of tackles again I’m guessing - Freddie Freeman.? I picked up Gardner, Wren, Loney, Graham , Akarakiri , Roberts , Moses , Doug of course, the rest I guess where u15/16. 19 and 3 got a lot of game time , any names anyone? Add any corrections/additions to this .
The number 6 was my motm

I “ think” you’re right on both those , Lambert 2, Matos at 6 was my MOTM for us. No 4 looked pretty solid , if unspectacular at CB , putting in lots of tackles again I’m guessing - Freddie Freeman.? I picked up Gardner, Wren, Loney, Graham , Akarakiri , Roberts , Moses , Doug of course, the rest I guess where u15/16. 19 and 3 got a lot of game time , any names anyone? Add any corrections/additions to this .no 5 ?
3 is a U16 Harley Windsor. 19 is another 16s Shea Pita.

I had 4 down as not Freedman as he looked left footed to me and more like a 16s, i thought 5 was more likely to be him. Charlie Stewart was 11. Harvey Billington was another u16 there and whilst I didn't notice him a scout online says Malik Olayiwola was there

Back to my hostel now. Just charging up my phone before I go out for dinner. Some thoughts:

Genk:
Thought 6, 8, 10 and their keeper were their stand out players. The three were all central midfielders. The 10 (Driessen) mainly played further forwards, with the 8 (August) a bit deeper and the 6 (Mathias) more of a DM. Driessen looked in what I saw of the semi like he was going to be the player that made them tick, liked to play little through balls and clever passes, telling his teammates where to go, always wanting the ball and coming short for it, but he didn't actually get on the ball so much. August was deeper and got on the ball quite a lot. Despite being quite small (they both were tbh) he was good taking on players and riding challenges, good first step to get away from ppl. He was actually more the one who made them tick, which I guess maybe shows in that he started the final and 10 didn't. Mathias was taller, would love a less lazy comparison but a bit of a Onana/TI style of player. Tall, athletic, broke up play and tackled, but also strong bringing the ball forward, riding challenges/fouls and the same good first touch to get away from a player. Probably overall their/the best player, but it was quite close between those two. Their keeper I swear spent more time out of the box than in it! Good with his feet, if he wasn't closed down he liked to bring it 25/30 yards out of goal before passing short/long. Always happy to have the ball to his feet. Keeping wise came out and used his height well to claim a cross, nearly saved Graham's goal when he really shouldn't have had a chance, effectively scored it himself in the end! Think he pulled off another decent save iirc. Was playing loads of mind games during the shootout. Holding the ball when our player was colecting it then kicking it a few feet behind them etc. (One of their players also joined in for the one we missed, shoulder bumping our player as he walked up to the spot.) Very tall and slender. The number 9 was quite good too. Think their wingers had a couple decent moments as well, but don't recall details now.

Meyrin:
The two wingers, 19 and 7, were quite good. Got past their man a few times (19 especially I think) in the semi. The 8 (Redzepi) reminded me a bit of Graveson! First to the ball from a breakdown/rebound and smashed it against the bar from 20 yards in the semi. Was very aggressive (in a good way), hard tackling, liked to bump into people all the time. Their keeper was tiny (in comparison), but did make a good save with his feet when 1-v-1 with Genk's no9. One of their defenders (6?) got stupidly sent off for a second yellow for hacking down one of Genk's better players with a couple minutes left of their semi.

Everton:
Never found a team sheet for us unfortunately, so had to pick up names as I went along. We were quite good in the final, but struggled I thought against Sporting in the semi and were lucky to get through imo. Thought Looney and Graham worked quite well together up top, and both had some good moments running with the ball under pressure/while being fouled (Genk were pulling us back quite a bit, two of their players got carded for it), and especially for the change that Graham nearly scored in the final. Looney did well with his pen, then gave the keeper some back after his attempted mind games. 6 (forget his name atm) was pretty good, a bit like Genk's, but doesn't have his size and not as good bringing the ball forward (but still pretty good at keeping it/using it). 8 impresses a bit more in the semi iirc, but was a bit less involved in the final. 19 did well, created the equaliser. Wasn't as obviously skillful/flashy as some of the other wingers on display, but got past his man several times and was quite effective. 5 nearly gave a goal away in the semi, doing a back heel to his cd partner and selling him short. 4 did quite well in the final, few good hard challenges and decent with the ball, if he did over do/run it a couple times. Doug looked decent enough. Good kick. Was interesting in the shootout he stared collecting the ball after their pens to stop their keeper's games. Looked like he was going to do some of his own at times but then just gave the ball to the ref. 11 was interesting. His attitude reminded me a little bit of Gordon's when I was him play for the u18s once. Genk's 10 had a similar sort of vibe. Tried some little 1st time flicks with the outside of his boot to other players but often didn't come off, as if they weren't on the same wavelength. Was slack defensively for their goal, not picking up the rb properly, who was then free to play in the rw (again our lb didn't do great either, let his man basically have a free run outside and behind him to get the ball), who squared it for an easy finish. Would be interesting to see him again, looked like he (possibly thought) he had more to give. Interesting comparison with 19. They're sort of ying and yang. One with more (obvious/apparent) skill, but the other having greater effect.

The tourney/venue in general.
There were quite a lot of ppl there, especially for the final. Lots of kids, families, girls as well. Had that big target game and some good food offerings (nice crepes!). Was a decent enough venue, and the stadium (inc training facilities/pitches) is in quite a nice residential area, sort of a nice estate, with lots of apartments/playgrounds etc, main street with store, cafe, pub, a nice pool with slides etc. They were a bit lax with "security" tho. Gave me a bunch of team sheets, (which I'm guessing were supposed to be for official scouting as I was asked twice if I was a scout, then gave to me anyway when I said I was just a fan), some of which have DOBs and Identity doc numbers on!

Anyway, sure there was more, but that's all I can recall/think of atm. Will forward to the club and ask for a job!

Oh, and the dad I spoke to earlier was Doug's dad I believe (saw them celebrating together at the presentation with his mum - presumably).

3 is a U16 Harley Windsor. 19 is another 16s Shea Pita.

I had 4 down as not Freedman as he looked left footed to me and more like a 16s, i thought 5 was more likely to be him. Charlie Stewart was 11. Harvey Billington was another u16 there and whilst I didn't notice him a scout online says Malik Olayiwola was there
Thanks.It seems one of the CBs is u16 then, so a decent size if so . I’m no nearer to definitively saying 4 was Freeman today , he certainly played left CB,not much in his bio except “ Freedman is a centre-back who identifies his aggression as one of his key traits.“. That 4 was certainly aggressive, even more impressive if he’s a 16!
Shea Pita, Harvey Billington and Ray Roberts came on for the u18s at the end of last season , so I guess they were u15s then . It’s intriguing putting these puzzles together!

Back to my hostel now. Just charging up my phone before I go out for dinner. Some thoughts:

Genk:
Thought 6, 8, 10 and their keeper were their stand out players. The three were all central midfielders. The 10 (Driessen) mainly played further forwards, with the 8 (August) a bit deeper and the 6 (Mathias) more of a DM. Driessen looked in what I saw of the semi like he was going to be the player that made them tick, liked to play little through balls and clever passes, telling his teammates where to go, always wanting the ball and coming short for it, but he didn't actually get on the ball so much. August was deeper and got on the ball quite a lot. Despite being quite small (they both were tbh) he was good taking on players and riding challenges, good first step to get away from ppl. He was actually more the one who made them tick, which I guess maybe shows in that he started the final and 10 didn't. Mathias was taller, would love a less lazy comparison but a bit of a Onana/TI style of player. Tall, athletic, broke up play and tackled, but also strong bringing the ball forward, riding challenges/fouls and the same good first touch to get away from a player. Probably overall their/the best player, but it was quite close between those two. Their keeper I swear spent more time out of the box than in it! Good with his feet, if he wasn't closed down he liked to bring it 25/30 yards out of goal before passing short/long. Always happy to have the ball to his feet. Keeping wise came out and used his height well to claim a cross, nearly saved Graham's goal when he really shouldn't have had a chance, effectively scored it himself in the end! Think he pulled off another decent save iirc. Was playing loads of mind games during the shootout. Holding the ball when our player was colecting it then kicking it a few feet behind them etc. (One of their players also joined in for the one we missed, shoulder bumping our player as he walked up to the spot.) Very tall and slender. The number 9 was quite good too. Think their wingers had a couple decent moments as well, but don't recall details now.

Meyrin:
The two wingers, 19 and 7, were quite good. Got past their man a few times (19 especially I think) in the semi. The 8 (Redzepi) reminded me a bit of Graveson! First to the ball from a breakdown/rebound and smashed it against the bar from 20 yards in the semi. Was very aggressive (in a good way), hard tackling, liked to bump into people all the time. Their keeper was tiny (in comparison), but did make a good save with his feet when 1-v-1 with Genk's no9. One of their defenders (6?) got stupidly sent off for a second yellow for hacking down one of Genk's better players with a couple minutes left of their semi.

Everton:
Never found a team sheet for us unfortunately, so had to pick up names as I went along. We were quite good in the final, but struggled I thought against Sporting in the semi and were lucky to get through imo. Thought Looney and Graham worked quite well together up top, and both had some good moments running with the ball under pressure/while being fouled (Genk were pulling us back quite a bit, two of their players got carded for it), and especially for the change that Graham nearly scored in the final. Looney did well with his pen, then gave the keeper some back after his attempted mind games. 6 (forget his name atm) was pretty good, a bit like Genk's, but doesn't have his size and not as good bringing the ball forward (but still pretty good at keeping it/using it). 8 impresses a bit more in the semi iirc, but was a bit less involved in the final. 19 did well, created the equaliser. Wasn't as obviously skillful/flashy as some of the other wingers on display, but got past his man several times and was quite effective. 5 nearly gave a goal away in the semi, doing a back heel to his cd partner and selling him short. 4 did quite well in the final, few good hard challenges and decent with the ball, if he did over do/run it a couple times. Doug looked decent enough. Good kick. Was interesting in the shootout he stared collecting the ball after their pens to stop their keeper's games. Looked like he was going to do some of his own at times but then just gave the ball to the ref. 11 was interesting. His attitude reminded me a little bit of Gordon's when I was him play for the u18s once. Genk's 10 had a similar sort of vibe. Tried some little 1st time flicks with the outside of his boot to other players but often didn't come off, as if they weren't on the same wavelength. Was slack defensively for their goal, not picking up the rb properly, who was then free to play in the rw (again our lb didn't do great either, let his man basically have a free run outside and behind him to get the ball), who squared it for an easy finish. Would be interesting to see him again, looked like he (possibly thought) he had more to give. Interesting comparison with 19. They're sort of ying and yang. One with more (obvious/apparent) skill, but the other having greater effect.

The tourney/venue in general.
There were quite a lot of ppl there, especially for the final. Lots of kids, families, girls as well. Had that big target game and some good food offerings (nice crepes!). Was a decent enough venue, and the stadium (inc training facilities/pitches) is in quite a nice residential area, sort of a nice estate, with lots of apartments/playgrounds etc, main street with store, cafe, pub, a nice pool with slides etc. They were a bit lax with "security" tho. Gave me a bunch of team sheets, (which I'm guessing were supposed to be for official scouting as I was asked twice if I was a scout, then gave to me anyway when I said I was just a fan), some of which have DOBs and Identity doc numbers on!

Anyway, sure there was more, but that's all I can recall/think of atm. Will forward to the club and ask for a job!

Oh, and the dad I spoke to earlier was Doug's dad I believe (saw them celebrating together at the presentation with his mum - presumably).
Forgot to say more on our full backs:
Left side had a couple weaker moments (their goal and another time he nearly gave the ball away poss over playing), but hey good moments as well. Right side was quite impressive. Decent size, looked quick and athletic. Couple occasions when he read the game well, beat his man to the ball then busy forward and kept his run going after he passed the ball on.
Tbh most of our players had some moments when they looked good, and none of them were obviously not good enough/out of place at this level, just maybe not standing out. The ones who did overall were the three/four Genk players, then probably our front two and no6, and possibly no19.

Forgot to say more on our full backs:
Left side had a couple weaker moments (their goal and another time he nearly gave the ball away poss over playing), but hey good moments as well. Right side was quite impressive. Decent size, looked quick and athletic. Couple occasions when he read the game well, beat his man to the ball then busy forward and kept his run going after he passed the ball on.
Tbh most of our players had some moments when they looked good, and none of them were obviously not good enough/out of place at this level, just maybe not standing out. The ones who did overall were the three/four Genk players, then probably our front two and no6, and possibly no19.
Thanks for your information and views, much appreciated. Hopefully , someday in the future when people are pushing for their inclusion in the First team you can say quietly “ Ah yes, I remember seeing Matos/ Roberts/ The Weasley Twins (etc) playing in the Geneva Cup all those years ago , I remember thinking then …….” 🙂

….possibly no Everton ‘team sheet’ with dob’s, identity details etc because the club didn’t want it to be a shop window for our players, whereas this is exactly what it was for others.
It seems to be almost impossible for clubs to keep players under the radar, I saw recently that Chelsea lost two 2008 players to ManCity and the RS !! I’ts great we got Armstrong onto a pro contract, it’s so easy to lose them before they sign a Scholarship ( Emilio Lawrence) or before they sign a pro deal ( ISS, Small)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back