Everton Youth Teams Thread

There's some interesting stats out covering England call-ups u21 to U16 in August and September. In this age range we had 10 players, fourth place behind Chelsea 20, Aresnal 16, Man City 14.

U21 :Brendan Galloway Mason Holgate
U20 :Callum Connolly,Jonjoe Kenny,Kieran Dowell,Dominic Calvert-Lewin
U 19 :Tom Davies,Antony Evans, Nathan Holland
U 18 :Morgan Feeney

We had nobody in the U17 or u16 age group, so if you just looked at u21 to u 18 call ups you get : Chelsea 13; Everton 10; Arsenal 8, City 7.
Only these four teams had representatives in all four age groups,21, 20, 19, 18. It highlights again what we've always known, that in our current crop we have strength in depth, and what we suspect , in our u16 , u17 age group we dont seem to have the same strength. But that can change as we develop players.

Generally, I think its great to see our young players in these squads and it can only help the development of the likes of Davies and Feeney when they are captaining their country. I think the one big downside recently was the ill timed u19s UEFA tournament in July. Connolly and Kenny got injured and missed a chunk of preseason and similarly the now departed Ledson was late coming back to training. Water under the bridge , but I wonder where all three would be now if they'd had a fresh pre season and a chance to impress a new manager.

http://youthhawk.co.uk/wiki/England_Youth_Internationals_2016-17

Have to think it's a bit of the former plus as you say a big, and good, u23 squad, Broadhead is no longer eligible for u18s . I guess you can judge how Unsy and others perceive our strength at U23s from transfer activity in past few months - two forwards brought in Sambou and Calvert-Lewin, one promising midfielder , Ledson, let go.

I haven't seen anything of the U18s of note this season but after 3 defeats people seem to have written them off. Still time for Sheedy to get them back on track, and accepting we don't have strength in depth at u18 you only need one to make the breakthrough . This time last year ManUtd u18s were pretty poor and that Rashford guy was not exactly setting the u18 League alight with his goals........
What's happening with delial Brewster haven't heard much of him other than being on the bench.

liam walsh has signed new 3 yrs deal. good stuff, hopefully have a big future with us
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2016/09/09/walsh-signs-new-contract

..delighted with this and not at all surprised. Our players need to impress when out on loan in lower leagues and nobody did this to more effect than Liam Walsh at Yeovil. Week in week out reports indicated his performance was outstanding. I noticed the same manager wanted him again this time around at his new club but we turned that down.

Our youngsters will have to be increasingly special to break through and I think this lad has a chance.

..delighted with this and not at all surprised. Our players need to impress when out on loan in lower leagues and nobody did this to more effect than Liam Walsh at Yeovil. Week in week out reports indicated his performance was outstanding. I noticed the same manager wanted him again this time around at his new club but we turned that down.

Our youngsters will have to be increasingly special to break through and I think this lad has a chance.

where did the yeovil manager get a new job mate?

There's some interesting stats out covering England call-ups u21 to U16 in August and September. In this age range we had 10 players, fourth place behind Chelsea 20, Aresnal 16, Man City 14.

U21 :Brendan Galloway Mason Holgate
U20 :Callum Connolly,Jonjoe Kenny,Kieran Dowell,Dominic Calvert-Lewin
U 19 :Tom Davies,Antony Evans, Nathan Holland
U 18 :Morgan Feeney

We had nobody in the U17 or u16 age group, so if you just looked at u21 to u 18 call ups you get : Chelsea 13; Everton 10; Arsenal 8, City 7.
Only these four teams had representatives in all four age groups,21, 20, 19, 18. It highlights again what we've always known, that in our current crop we have strength in depth, and what we suspect , in our u16 , u17 age group we dont seem to have the same strength. But that can change as we develop players.

Generally, I think its great to see our young players in these squads and it can only help the development of the likes of Davies and Feeney when they are captaining their country. I think the one big downside recently was the ill timed u19s UEFA tournament in July. Connolly and Kenny got injured and missed a chunk of preseason and similarly the now departed Ledson was late coming back to training. Water under the bridge , but I wonder where all three would be now if they'd had a fresh pre season and a chance to impress a new manager.

http://youthhawk.co.uk/wiki/England_Youth_Internationals_2016-17

To keep our feet on the ground though, the record of youth internationals progressing to the senior England team is pretty awful. Even teams that do well in European competitions seldom get more than a couple from the squad progressing to full honours. I'm not sure how our (England's) track record compares to other nations but it does kinda suggest the pipeline is broken somewhere.

If you look at Baines and Jags, for instance, neither played for England until under 21 level, whilst Gareth Barry won > 50 caps for the senior team without turning out at all for any of the youth sides.

....sorry if that's wrong, Matey, but I understood a previous manager had asked for him on loan this season with his new club.

was just wondering, couldnt even remember his name off the top of my head.
im sure we got a lot of offers to take walsh on loan, would like to see him at a promotion chasing league 1 team at minimum in january.

To keep our feet on the ground though, the record of youth internationals progressing to the senior England team is pretty awful. Even teams that do well in European competitions seldom get more than a couple from the squad progressing to full honours. I'm not sure how our (England's) track record compares to other nations but it does kinda suggest the pipeline is broken somewhere.

If you look at Baines and Jags, for instance, neither played for England until under 21 level, whilst Gareth Barry won > 50 caps for the senior team without turning out at all for any of the youth sides.

dont think gerrard got a look in at england youth level either

Really really hope Walsh makes it. His style of play (from the little I've seen) is right up my street. Scrappy midfielder with special feet and good vision.

liam walsh has signed new 3 yrs deal. good stuff, hopefully have a big future with us
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2016/09/09/walsh-signs-new-contract
Excellent news, was very impressed with him in Ireland last year. It will be intriguing to see how he fits into Koeman's plans as he certainly doesn't fit the powerful running style that seems to be the preferred player.

You know, this alone could be key for him. He can offer something different to the first team squad.