Expectations for the season

Where you think this squad should finish

• Total voters
We've averaged 41 points over the last 3 years.

Has that much changed?
Jep, tbf we can't make a transfer window like West Ham to address all these problems at once. I see this squad good enough to finish between 12 and 15th.

Dyche had us out of the relegation battle as last season with the actual points even between Dec-March. That's the benchmark I realistically expect to finish around 50 points again.

To attack to half we would need to invest in quality and depth.

Over the last 3 seasons 33 would have kept a side up. So 41 would make you fairly comfortable.

Finishing on 41 points would still dictate relegation battle for majority of the season.

[Edit] and 33 points wouldn't have - 33 points would have been relegation in 2 of the 3.

36 was needed in 21/22
35 was needed in 22/23

Jep, tbf we can't make a transfer window like West Ham to address all these problems at once. I see this squad good enough to finish between 12 and 15th.

Dyche had us out of the relegation battle as last season with the actual points even between Dec-March. That's the benchmark I realistically expect.

To attack to half we would need to invest in quality and depth.

That's relegation battle.

Ok, let's say direct relegation battle, I think for me that starts 5 points or less above 18th and in the 2nd half of the season the closest we came was 8 or 9, would need to look up how many at the end of March.

You know the season we come back from 2-0 down to beat Palace to stay up? We finished 16th, 1 point away from 15th's 40 points.

If we're near 15th in the table, Evertonians will definitely be looking over the shoulder "MUST WIN THIS ONE" - relegation battle.

We've been amongst it for a long time now, because we haven't got pace/goals. Not convinced we've addressed that. None of us know about Lindstrom, and like him - N'Diaye rocks up after a terrible season and has never played in the Prem.

It’s not looking too bad with a fully fit first choice XI every week, apart from the RB position which they have overlooked again scandalously.

Few injuries though, especially to Gana, Garner or Tim and we are in bother.

On average is what I said .
You said we averaged 41 over 3 seasons. Was going by that.
Last season we earned 48 points

You didn't say that, though ;)

if we remove the deduction last season, I think it was 34th game we hit 40 points last season. It was certainly late on.

40 points is traditional safety for valid reasons.

So, if we went so late into the season before we achieved 40 points last season.

And we went to the last home game of the season to stay up the 2 seasons before that....

Then why now, suddenly do people think "Shouldn't be involved in a relegation battle with that squad"

Because Ndiaye, Lindstrom, Iroegbunam and O'Brien? Behave. None of us have seen them play a competitive game at the highest level.

My point is as a team, this is us over 3 years;

Last three year premier league;

Games: 114
Won: 32
Drawn: 27
Lost: 55
Goals Scored: 117
Goals Against: 174

From 342 points - we've earned 123.

We score 39 per season - an average of 1.03 per game.
We concede 58 per season - an average of 1.53 per game.

We absolutely can't get any worse in that final third.

^ Small margins.

If we get injuries this season, we'll really struggle IMO.

You know the season we come back from 2-0 down to beat Palace to stay up? We finished 16th, 1 point away from 15th's 40 points.

If we're near 15th in the table, Evertonians will definitely be looking over the shoulder "MUST WIN THIS ONE" - relegation battle.

We've been amongst it for a long time now, because we haven't got pace/goals. Not convinced we've addressed that. None of us know about Lindstrom, and like him - N'Diaye rocks up after a terrible season and has never played in the Prem.
You might be right about that, don't expect the last 3 collecting as few points as last season, you stayed up the league with 26 points -32, this probably will be the case very rarely. Maybe we should rather argue with a points total.

But let's say aiming for 45-50 points again, that's fair and realistic.

Edit:

The 48 points with -11, would have gotten you between 8th and 13th the last 10 seasons, averaging 11th.

Always at least 11 points above relegation, as only one season 35 points were not enough to stay up by GD.

Last edited:
Gone for a 13th -17th finish. I think with dyche he will keep us just above the parapet with what he's got.

We have such a paper thin squad with some lack of quality in most areas. What with the ownership still to be resolved, it looks bleak for a while.

We have fallen so far down the tree, that we hit every bad luck branch on the way down.

You didn't say that, though ;)

if we remove the deduction last season, I think it was 34th game we hit 40 points last season. It was certainly late on.

40 points is traditional safety for valid reasons.

So, if we went so late into the season before we achieved 40 points last season.

And we went to the last home game of the season to stay up the 2 seasons before that....

Then why now, suddenly do people think "Shouldn't be involved in a relegation battle with that squad"

Because Ndiaye, Lindstrom, Iroegbunam and O'Brien? Behave. None of us have seen them play a competitive game at the highest level.

My point is as a team, this is us over 3 years;

^ Small margins.

If we get injuries this season, we'll really struggle IMO.
We still finished 22 points ahead of relegation last season on points earned.
I'd expect us to finish at least 12/15 points ahead of it again this season even if we only replicate last seasons form.
40 points won't be needed imo.
Hitting it with 4 games to go for me Is comfortably staying up.

We still finished 22 points ahead of relegation last season on points earned.
I'd expect us to finish at least 12/15 points ahead of it again this season even if we only replicate last seasons form.
40 points won't be needed imo.
Hitting it with 4 games to go for me Is comfortably staying up.

If we hit 40 points on the 34th game, then we'd have been in a relegation 'battle'

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back