Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

'Fans'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree -- though thought it was more groans than outright boos - glad they were proved wrong. Always thought our support kept us up in the 90s as we always still got behind the players no matter what. Remember telling geordies and a leeds fan I know that hurling abuse and booing your team will only make things worse as they slid towards their respective relegations. God help us if we struggle this season as our support isnt anywhere like it was in the 90s. Maybe we have become spoilt having had such a good home record over the last five years or so

Keep it on topic Dave and don"t turn it into a Moyes / Martinez thing.
You're better than that and I'm sure you could find something more insightful to say
It is relevant though. Years of turgid football sat through without a murmur. That's pointing out the inconsistency of it all.

Wins will change it. And we'll get them. Then there wont be any booing.

To boo Kone before he even stepped on the pitch today was a disgrace. I've always been of the opinion that if you pays your money you gets your say but if you were one of those today you're an idiot. You're the type of person who goes the darts dressed as a carrot and boos the player just as they're about to throw. For the last couple of seasons some of our fans have been toxic and they are making the match going experience unbearable. You're helping the club about as much as Blue Bill so please do one and don't come back.

Now let's all put a cone on oour head and sing 'Kone, Kone, Kone'

so very true. you have to be total idiot to do that.

I'm only approaching mid-twenties, so can barely remember Rideout '95 scenes. But I still remember the Smith years, and the frustration of the quality of football at times during Moyes tenure. I can't remember a time when this kind of knee-jerk booing came about at any point then - just groans, which is testament to the different expectations we have now, I suppose.

There are definitely many (totally valid) frustrations to be directed at perceived 'tactical stubborness' etc. but I think people are being really naive about the level of effort the players are putting in, even when an individual doesn't perform. Football is a totally different beast now in regards to the money generated and the cost of being a supporter etc. but to reconcile that by booing whenever we don't get a result or someone makes a mistake is just really pathetic IMO, and not conducive at all to the team playing any better. That kind of impatience as a fan is the staple of some of the bandwagoners at the so-called top 4, and makes us look somewhat ridiculous due to our current station (think back to when those North East kopites were creating a toxic atmosphere, for example)...

In fact, it's made visiting Goodison like some kind of 'pantomime experience' of late...

I booed. I only booed because Martinez left that Rooney lad on the bench, and brought on our other striker instead.

I groaned a bit when he came on. I think the boos were aimed as much at Martinez for bringing on Kone on than at Kone himself, but you're spot on. Fans are getting on players backs at the slightest mistake.

Bloke behind me was moaning about Barkley almost the whole time, with the occasional "World Class" thrown in when he did something well. Dead fickle some of our fans. The majority though are still ace, but sadly the vocal ones are those that our young players hear

Last edited:
Our fans used to vote with their feet when things got bad. Now they turn up in numbers to sit in silence when we are struggling or just boo. I don't go myself much these days as I don't class myself as a modern day fan. there are too many day trippers and "take in a premier league game " types in the ground now.

I'm only approaching mid-twenties, so can barely remember Rideout '95 scenes. But I still remember the Smith years, and the frustration of the quality of football at times during Moyes tenure. I can't remember a time when this kind of knee-jerk booing came about at any point then - just groans, which is testament to the different expectations we have now, I suppose.

There are definitely many (totally valid) frustrations to be directed at perceived 'tactical stubborness' etc. but I think people are being really naive about the level of effort the players are putting in, even when an individual doesn't perform. Football is a totally different beast now in regards to the money generated and the cost of being a supporter etc. but to reconcile that by booing whenever we don't get a result or someone makes a mistake is just really pathetic IMO, and not conducive at all to the team playing any better. That kind of impatience as a fan is the staple of some of the bandwagoners at the so-called top 4, and makes us look somewhat ridiculous due to our current station (think back to when those North East kopites were creating a toxic atmosphere, for example)...

In fact, it's made visiting Goodison like some kind of 'pantomime experience' of late...

Great post mate.

Kone has been terrible, that said i seen his selfie on facebook / insta?
to me he looked to have a 'sad' look in his eyes , regardless how bad he's played
its not his fault he got bought for the fee / gets put on the pitch
but is right for today ! he has took alot of criticism recently.. really hope
he can sort it out

Disgraceful, no matter what you think of his ability it's just wrong to do. Some people seem to think because thy earn x amount of pounds a week they don't care and pay no attention and you have every right to give them dogs abuse, at the end of the day they're only human of course it effects them and gets them down, and obviously effects their performance, same with the abuse the likes of rom and Ross get.

I always thought our fan base was different than the rest but to be honest they're aren't, self entitled spoilt brats some of them

Was it cos of who he took off, more than who he put on though? Took Galloway off didnt he?
No I feel it was the Kone factor, he did not run to the fans just kissed the Goodison turf, when scoring,
I feel Galloway hurt himself when clashing into the street end advertising hoardings, but if booing produced a very good cameo strikers role so what- he has had an appalling time with us written off by most including myself - yet today he gained us a point made one scored one if he keeps that up he may come on to cheers in future!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back