Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

'Fans'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I groaned a bit when he came on. I think the boos were aimed as much at Martinez for bringing on Kone on than at Kone himself, but you're spot on. Fans are getting on players backs at the slightest mistake.

Bloke behind me was moaning about him almost the whole time, with the occasional "World Class" thrown in when he did something well. Dead fickle some of our fans. The majority though are still ace, but sadly the vocal ones are those that our young players hear
Spot on. Remember last season Martinez got booed for taking Besic off? Our fans are the worst for overreactions, and this doesn't help for either young players - Barkley and players that haven't had that much playing time - Kone.

We live in an age where everything has to be instant, many people have no patience and barely possess a 20 second attention span. They feel cheated if they don't get their desired outcome right here and now and they lack the maturity and mental character to cope with even the slightest thing going wrong.

I hate it but we've got previous, Stuart Barlow getting booed warming up while team sheets are being read out, great way to encourage players. Really small time, have a go if someone sh!ts out of a tackle or doesn't try, but not before they've kicked a ball.

It is relevant though. Years of turgid football sat through without a murmur. That's pointing out the inconsistency of it all.

Wins will change it. And we'll get them. Then there wont be any booing.

I think it's much more fundamental than that. Peoples attitudes have changed over the last 10 to 15 years and demands are much higher.

I've seen quite a few Everton sides over the last 40 odd years booed off the pitch, but it's only relatively recently that I've heard so many fans give players dog abuse for making a mistake

You're right though. When we start winning the boos will stop, but they'll come back very quickly when we play poorly.

It's not unique to Everton, and it's not unique to Martinez, it's become the norm except for newly promoted teams or teams where expectations are lower.

I groaned a bit when he came on. I think the boos were aimed as much at Martinez for bringing on Kone on than at Kone himself, but you're spot on. Fans are getting on players backs at the slightest mistake.

Bloke behind me was moaning about him almost the whole time, with the occasional "World Class" thrown in when he did something well. Dead fickle some of our fans. The majority though are still ace, but sadly the vocal ones are those that our young players hear

We're sound fans. I'd imagine there's much worse fans around than us ;) However, there's a certain internet/social media trend that is sweeping the land, and it appears to be giving every Tom, Rick and Harry the impression that they have something important to say. It's a new trend, and the press are loving it. They can even just meme us now. Here's a quote from the 'Everton FC - Liverpool Echo' facebook page at the time of the sub.

"Everton Football Club need a hero.

Arouna Kone is on."

https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolEchoEFC?fref=ts

We live in an age where everything has to be instant, many people have no patience and barely possess a 20 second attention span. They feel cheated if they don't get their desired outcome right here and now and they lack the maturity and mental character to cope with even the slightest thing going wrong.

Bring back rep, ffs.

Thought Barkley got a couple of groans today but, besides Kev, he was the only one looking to do anything. Had shots, had a GREAT one-time pass into the box that nobody got into a good position for, did well. If you try and fail, you wont get a lot of stick from me.

Booing individual players is not on at all as it will affect their mental state and as a result their performance. If you are unhappy about someone it is best just to stay quiet.

Generally having a boo at the end of the game at the overall performance is really OK, and has happened for many years. It's nothing new.

It's important to distinguish between the two.

Barkley was pathetic, his goal aside.

Great goal, though. But his awful display might have been more costly against a better team.

List count of the amount of times he passed directly to a Watford player.

I think it's much more fundamental than that. Peoples attitudes have changed over the last 10 to 15 years and demands are much higher.

I've seen quite a few Everton sides over the last 40 odd years booed off the pitch, but it's only relatively recently that I've heard so many fans give players dog abuse for making a mistake

You're right though. When we start winning the boos will stop, but they'll come back very quickly when we play poorly.

It's not unique to Everton, and it's not unique to Martinez, it's become the norm except for newly promoted teams or teams where expectations are lower.

I honestly think there was a big let down last season after the excellent football played in Martinez's first season here. The most pleasing on the eye football for a very, very long time...and of course the results didn't harm matters either.

There's a sense that a taste of that was worse than none at all, and now there's resentment that the school of science style has not been on offer since.

We will get back to that standard of football again though once the right people are in through the door this summer. Martinez sounds as irritated by the delay as anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back