Farewell Goodison Park. A mother, a servant, a guardian, a beloved home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people are on a different planet.

As if the club would consider keeping and paying for the on-going costs of running and managing a 40k seater stadium for the womens team who currently play on a park and generate literally no income.

Most people said knock down the stands. Much cheaper to leave the pitch there and build a few very small stands like they have at WHP than what they currently have planning permission for.

Of course it would be good if they could leave the Bullens and demolish the rest. We all know that the Park end is probably the only viable one in terms of maintenance costs. All considered though given the direction of travel in the women's game even if we left both those stands it's only going to be 16k max. After changes to remove the worst of the restricted views at the back of the Bullens and create new changing rooms a 13 ish k stadium for the ladies might be about right. I'm sure it would bump the numbers up in attendance just so people can visit Goodison.

View attachment 258293
This is the Goodison I was sad to see go. The current place, for me, is a mish mash.

Same for most, I reckon. The ground that you were introduced to is the one that lives with you.
Exactly mate, 65,000 capacity, double decker all the way round and the old Goodison road was truly massive terrace,with the old main stand above it. It seems like yesterday when I first stood in Goodison, in reality it's over 60 years ago, happy happy days. What a great club we were then, something to be proud of, not like the current circus.

Exactly mate, 65,000 capacity, double decker all the way round and the old Goodison road was truly massive terrace,with the old main stand above it. It seems like yesterday when I first stood in Goodison, in reality it's over 60 years ago, happy happy days. What a great club we were then, something to be proud of, not like the current circus.

The old Goodison Road was my first spec with my dad. That was the part of the ground that put the 'roar' into the Goodison Roar.

I’m sad. I understand why we have to but I’m sad. I got nothing.

IMG_1475.webp

I’m sad. I understand why we have to but I’m sad. I got nothing.

View attachment 258423
For me It’s the connection with the past , the last game I went to with my late dad . Early memories as a kid of the whole family being sat together , friends who are no longer with us ,how many generations of my family have marched into that ground , childhood mates some of whom I’ve lost touch with stood together in the street end thinking we were grown up and plenty more . Everton is a huge part of my family and friendship group and Goodison is at the core of it .

It might be the right decision but I imagine for most of us it’ll be a huge wrench .

With a few more quid in the bank this could be a good option.

At least keep the bullens and street end.

Knock down the other two stands (I like the quirks of the main stand but it's a terrible design overall) and replace with small stands

Open up the church to the ground

It would be pretty good I think. I imagine the maintenance costs would probably stop it happening
I like the idea of opening the church out the back and using part of the pitch as a garden/memorial garden

The old Goodison Road was my first spec with my dad. That was the part of the ground that put the 'roar' into the Goodison Roar.
And then we had the enclosure, probably the worst view from a terrace you could possibly have. Mum and dad bought my first season ticket for me there, it was swapped to the Street end the next season. Wall's were massive as they all were at Goodison and for a short assed kid it was very hard to catch the action. lol

And then we had the enclosure, probably the worst view from a terrace you could possibly have. Mum and dad bought my first season ticket for me there, it was swapped to the Street end the next season. Wall's were massive as they all were at Goodison and for a short assed kid it was very hard to catch the action. lol

A lot of kids took boxes or short step ladders in as I recall.

A lot of kids took boxes or short step ladders in as I recall.
That's true mate. Never grasped why Everton's walls around the pitch were so high, with like almost a gulley in front of them. That was the one thing I liked about the RS ground. I'd get in early on Derby day and take a spec at the wall.....even as a kid I could easy see over it in comfort.

For me i get that everyone has a past at goodison but for me u have been ready to move for a long time now. Is sad but well we need to move on i hope fans can remember the good times we had with goodison with hopefully this new ground will be able to get this great club and this fanbase in th postion this club should be in. Hopefully create moments like alot of blues had in the past

That's true mate. Never grasped why Everton's walls around the pitch were so high, with like almost a gulley in front of them. That was the one thing I liked about the RS ground. I'd get in early on Derby day and take a spec at the wall.....even as a kid I could easy see over it in comfort.

Wasn't it due to the World Cup? And also some problem with coin throwing at a goalie?

Hate: The arseholes who should really know better, who flip on the young bar staff during halftime about serving times for ale and pies, given we have a limited workforce and tiny tea bars.
Nice to meet you, arsehole here.

When you ask for two teas, and the fella makes one tea, brings it to the counter then goes back and makes a second tea he deserves the pelters from the people behind.

Personally, all I'll give is a muttered FFS. They really don't help themselves.

Nice to meet you, arsehole here.

When you ask for two teas, and the fella makes one tea, brings it to the counter then goes back and makes a second tea he deserves the pelters from the people behind.

Personally, all I'll give is a muttered FFS. They really don't help themselves

Personally having worked in hospitality and retail sectors before, I can understand the huge pressure these kids are under. It certainly isn't an easy job, particularly at Goodison where the facilities are archaic and the bars just not designed to cope with the sheer number of people. Middle-aged men with kids of their own screaming at the young ones struggling to serve them is poor form.... it really is. Be a different sketch in a local alehouse for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back