Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
But he doesn't own the club, why would he put money in only for others to reap the rewards from dividends from CL revenue etc. if we get there? He would need a lots more shares.

He might have an option to buy the other shares at an agreed price or he might put more money in by buying more shares in a rights issue which would increase his percentage ownership in the club.

On the flip side why would he buy 49% of a business with no intention of investing in it?

He wouldnt. One possible reason, so I was told, is that a change of ownership, (51%) might trigger covenants in loans and stuff. So, make the intention clear, then sort out the boring details at your leisure.

....I might be talking rubbish but perhaps it also makes it easier for the league to endorse.

The test, introduced in 2004, is mandated by the Premier League, the Football League, the Football Conference and theScottish Premier League. Anybody who takes over a club, runs one, or owns over 30% of its shares must be assessed. The first director known to have failed the test was Dennis Coleman, director of Rotherham United when they went intoadministration in 2006 and 2008. He claimed:

"I came in and in effect saved the club. It is totally unfair for me to be disqualified."[3]

In November 2009, Stephen Vaughan, then owner of Chester City, became the first owner to fail the test, after he was legally disqualified from being a director of any company. This was a result of VAT fraud as owner of Widnes Vikings rugby club. He transferred control of Chester to his son, Stephen Vaughan, Jr.[4]

In March 2012, Rangers owner Craig Whyte was found not to be a fit and proper person as the result of an independent enquiry.[5]

In June 2014, Louis Tomlinson, former footballer and member of the boy band One Direction, and John Ryan, businessman and previous Chairman ofDoncaster Rovers, launched a bid to buy the club but one month later Ryan was found not to be a fit and proper person due to a lack of funding.[6]

Disqualifying events[edit]
The Premier League has tighter restrictions than the rest of the Football League and Football Conference. In general, a businessman will fail the test if:

• They have power or influence over another Football League club
  • They hold a significant interest in another Football League club
  • They become prohibited by law from being a director
  • They are filing for bankruptcy
  • They have been director of a club while it has suffered two or more unconnected events of insolvency
  • They have been a director of two or more clubs of which, while they have been director, has suffered an event of insolvency

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back