Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
just run this name through your mind a few times "CUCA MARTINEZ", then tell me that the new era at Everton is nothing more than a mirage.

...I very much doubt that Moshiri is part of the scouting network. Somehow, I don't see him in a flat cap watching players up and down the country. When interviewed, Walsh specifically said 'value for money' is a key consideration for him.

Back in just the bill kenwright direction? I'm sorry but some people can't see the woods for the trees. We've made progress of and on the pitch already than we ever did under Bill.

Need a huge cash injection this summer. There can be no excuses whatsoever this time. Nothing we did last summer was out of the ordinary under BK.

Need a huge cash injection this summer. There can be no excuses whatsoever this time. Nothing we did last summer was out of the ordinary under BK.

Mate we know we need this and I'm pretty sure moshri knows. Koeman isn't no fool and he's probably told him what he wants, last summers dealings were bad so this time around it has to be better a whole lot better

Mate we know we need this and I'm pretty sure moshri knows. Koeman isn't no fool and he's probably told him what he wants, last summers dealings were bad so this time around it has to be better a whole lot better

Even with that intention though it can be tough to deliver. Last summer we apparently targeted the likes of Mata Witsel Koulibaly and Moshiri apparently had the cash in place for each. All three flirted with us but Mata was promised game time at United by Mourinho, Witsel got offered huge wages in China and Koulibaly stayed for CL football (knowing he could pick up another CL team this summer). We then fell into the Bolasie/Williams bracket because we needed bodies and all the top players had swerved us. Do we go for the ring below the top player this summer (GOT will fume if so), do we massively overpay for a top player (GOT would fume if so), do we try again and risk ending up empty handed like last summer? (GOT fume if so). We're in a tricky spot of trying to entice top players on the promise of a better future without being able to give them the CL football that any decent continental sidecoulf give them. Sandro for example may prefer sitting on Atletico's bench in the CL than taking our money and being first choice.

Regardless of what happens this summer is much rather be in this situation under Moshiri of at least trying for top players rather than previous years of scouting free transfers and cheap players going nowhere in their careers. Despite all the moaning on here things have definitely changed.

Even with that intention though it can be tough to deliver. Last summer we apparently targeted the likes of Mata Witsel Koulibaly and Moshiri apparently had the cash in place for each. All three flirted with us but Mata was promised game time at United by Mourinho, Witsel got offered huge wages in China and Koulibaly stayed for CL football (knowing he could pick up another CL team this summer). We then fell into the Bolasie/Williams bracket because we needed bodies and all the top players had swerved us. Do we go for the ring below the top player this summer (GOT will fume if so), do we massively overpay for a top player (GOT would fume if so), do we try again and risk ending up empty handed like last summer? (GOT fume if so).
Regardless of what happens this summer is much rather be in this situation under Moshiri of at least trying for top players rather than previous years of scouting free transfers and cheap players going nowhere in their careers. Despite all the moaning on here things have definitely changed.
Having money is all well and good but if all it results in is overpaying in fees and wages for run of the mill players like Bolasie and Williams then it is kind of pointless. City, and before them Chelsea, managed to break the cycle you described and, IMO at least, if Moshiri fails to land a better quality of player this window then we never will and unfortunately "things will be exactly the same".

Having money is all well and good but if all it results in is overpaying in fees and wages for run of the mill players like Bolasie and Williams then it is kind of pointless. City, and before them Chelsea, managed to break the cycle you described and, IMO at least, if Moshiri fails to land a better quality of player this window then we never will and unfortunately "things will be exactly the same".

They went straight to paying massive wages for ok players. Chelsea for instance had Duff before they got Robben etc. And that's not really applicable as they were a decent side in the late 90's and had CL football. We have to go through that same pain, we did it last year and moved a step up and will do it again this year now we have European football. But it will be a slow process as the 6 teams above us are not going to just stop financially to let us catch up. This is the main difference between us and what happened at Chelsea and City, they had less teams to compete against to get to that level.

What we need is Spurs to go off the boil playing at Wembley, Arsenal to meltdown under fan pressure, plus a possibility of Wenger leaving part way through the season. (if he is there at all) If we can then compete with the RS for that 4th spot and we can get it or be within touching distance that might just kick us on with the process of getting to that elite level. If everything runs to par we probably finish 7th again, maybe a bit closer points wise, but it will just be incremental improvements for the season afterwards and by that point Spurs will be in their new home and Arsenal may have recruited a top manager.

They went straight to paying massive wages for ok players. Chelsea for instance had Duff before they got Robben etc. And that's not really applicable as they were a decent side in the late 90's and had CL football. We have to go through that same pain, we did it last year and moved a step up and will do it again this year now we have European football. But it will be a slow process as the 6 teams above us are not going to just stop financially to let us catch up. This is the main difference between us and what happened at Chelsea and City, they had less teams to compete against to get to that level.

What we need is Spurs to go off the boil playing at Wembley, Arsenal to meltdown under fan pressure, plus a possibility of Wenger leaving part way through the season. (if he is there at all) If we can then compete with the RS for that 4th spot and we can get it or be within touching distance that might just kick us on with the process of getting to that elite level. If everything runs to par we probably finish 7th again, maybe a bit closer points wise, but it will just be incremental improvements for the season afterwards and by that point Spurs will be in their new home and Arsenal may have recruited a top manager.
You might be right but what the Chinese league have proved (albeit with eye watering wages) is that you can provide a non-sporting motive for top players to move. Wages are our problem, some people are going completely off their heads at the idea of a six figure salary for Sigurddson but we need to entice the players we need somehow and the Europa league isn't enough. Our problem as I see it is that we have set a precedent of paying big wages for mediocre talent (Williams - £70k a week, Bolasie - £80k a week) and so anyone better than them will want considerably more. My view is we should pay it and crack on. I realise there are regulatory reasons why that is problematic but chucking £150k a week at Rooney, for example, diminishes our ability to pay players who could be the core of our team for years to come and smacks of the usual small time short termism that I thought we had left behind.

You might be right but what the Chinese league have proved (albeit with eye watering wages) is that you can provide a non-sporting motive for top players to move. Wages are our problem, some people are going completely off their heads at the idea of a six figure salary for Sigurddson but we need to entice the players we need somehow and the Europa league isn't enough. Our problem as I see it is that we have set a precedent of paying big wages for mediocre talent (Williams - £70k a week, Bolasie - £80k a week) and so anyone better than them will want considerably more. My view is we should pay it and crack on. I realise there are regulatory reasons why that is problematic but chucking £150k a week at Rooney, for example, diminishes our ability to pay players who could be the core of our team for years to come and smacks of the usual small time short termism that I thought we had left behind.

Contradicting yourself a bit there.

On the one hand you say the "Chinese model" of paying big wages works in attracting "top players" (who are, let's face it, heading towards the end of their career).

On the other hand, Everton handing big wages to top players (who are, let's face it, heading towards the end of their career) is a problem.

Which is it? A good thing, or a problem?

What annoys me is this.

We get told 'nothing will be the same' we've got loads of money.

It's garbage.

Season finished a few days ago and city bid 60m for a player. No messing about, no excuses. Get the deal done. Offer the money and stop messing.

Freebies from Southampton ffs.

Excuses about lack of champs league is garbage. Do what city did and pay the money and they'll come.

What annoys me is this.

We get told 'nothing will be the same' we've got loads of money.

It's garbage.

Season finished a few days ago and city bid 60m for a player. No messing about, no excuses. Get the deal done. Offer the money and stop messing.

Freebies from Southampton ffs.

Excuses about lack of champs league is garbage. Do what city did and pay the money and they'll come.
Well do your job then Bob

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back