Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Not shooting the messenger @Onwards Evertonians in the slightest, but treat this clip with extreme caution, the main thrust that the deal is subject to the takeover coder and is subject to shareholder approval is entirely wrong. Everton is a private company, and these regulations are not relevant to the club.

I have informed Radio City of his error...

I used to know Tom quite well but for all his self-publicising and academic qualifications what he really knows about football finance and running a business is thin at best. However, he does have a gift for self-marketing and networking which are qualities EFC could potentially use to help get the brand out there.

I hope Moshiri will at least be more open than Bill has been at times to considering ways to engage with and leverage the likes of Grantchester and even the Tom Cannon's of this world whilst being single-minded and ruthless in reserving the final key decisions for himself.

For the very little this is worth I met Moshiri once about ten years ago when I was a partner in one of of several organisations angling to give support establishing a UK finance function a Kazakh business he had links with was looking at a possible UK listing. He created a lasting impression in one hour as a very focused, capable and determined individual. In my 25+ years in consulting and FTSE 100 businesses there aren't that many people you meet where you think "I'm out of my depth here". I cannot vouch for his good intentions but he isn't someone to do something in a half-assed way.

Don't doubt what you are saying mate... but maybe you can help with the exposure argument. ... If Usmanov has a 30 percent stake in a club where he can do nothing what exactly is his 400mill getting him? You say exposure... In what way? Does he sponsor them in some way? Does he generate business from them? Surely if he has control of a club that would give him more exposure then being a shareholder at another club?

Just trying to understand.

Hi mate, by exposure I mean how much in value terms do they have exposed to the Premier League? Red and White Holdings have a value of £400 million which is just equity in Arsenal. He has no influence over the majority owner nor a position on the Board.

Do you think they are just in it for investment returns/exposure though ? If that was the case they can invest in any number of industries, some much more cast iron guaranteed than the PL.

Why has Moshiri (the sensible accountant with less disposable dosh) chosen to go for the riskier investment vehicle if it's not about taking the control of a PL club rather than building an investment portfolio ?

In the case of Usmanov, two things, (i) he purports to be as much in love with Arsenal as our very own Bill is in Everton (ok perhaps not quite as much) but there's a connection there for sure. Secondly it's a prestige investment in his portfolio, it's a trophy asset even when he has no control.

Moshiri is not just an accountant - he's a serious businessman who is happy to take calculated risks. Being an investor in steel, oil and gas in emerging markets carries far more risk than Everton will ever do, especially now.

Wow, they are genuinely worried, I'm made up, I've had 40 years of listening to the bile that comes out of their mouths!!
Their going over the financial fair play rules as I type, we are not allowed to spend 100m apparently.

Liverpool spend 100m, what they really get is 30m of talent

Everton spend 100m, and what they really get is 200m of talent.

They are rightly worried, they are crap in the transfer market, we aren't.

So could the premier league stop the deal due to him being part of red and white holdings? Can you sell shares quickly and invest in another club so quickly?

Travesty if they do considering how quickly they've let other investments go through.

But they won't.

@The Esk is your man on this but to me, this deal seems pretty cut and dry (as much as a deal of this size can be anyway)

So could the premier league stop the deal due to him being part of red and white holdings? Can you sell shares quickly and invest in another club so quickly?
No longer a shareholder in Red and White holdings - sale of share and proof of it (share transfer doc would do that if notarised).
As long as he has no influence at another PL/FL club, happy days.

This is not an issue mate, the signing over of his interests in Red and White Holdings is a very simple process. Nothing to worry about.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back