Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
@davek since I've been posting on GOT ive agreed with probably the majority of your positions but don't align to your net spend issue.

So in that context I'm giving it one more go but from a different persective: what would be a successful transfer season to you?

I get that you believe we will bank £150m from sales and as such we again have a minimal net spend showing its same old same old. You could argue that.

Is it as simple as us needing to spend £250m to date or at least by the end of the window? Is it about the quality of players?
Again I don't think any of the top 6 envy any of our purchases and agree with you if they wanted them I'm sure they would not be with us. It is what it is.
So what for you would be a true indicator that things have changed?
I've said earlier: £50M over and above what is brought in this summer. That will then be appreciated as a good start. Then we need to repeat the dose next summer.

If we start to see that level of expenditure then he's doing his job. Until he negotiates that first £50M net spend though I'll still consider him to be the owner who failed us last summer.

I've said earlier: £50M over and above what is brought in this summer. That will then be appreciated as a good start. Then we need to repeat the dose next summer.

If we start to see that level of expenditure then he's doing his job. Until he negotiates that first £50M net spend though I'll still consider him to be the owner who failed us last summer.

Ok simple.. impossible to read every post so didn't see that one. Simple maths ... look no one can prove you wrong if we end up just breaking even again. It feels different as there was a clearly thought out plan that we have executed well, also paying above market to close the deal.. something we have been asking for instead of going toe to toe with the Hammers or flipping Stoke every year.

That is a fundamental change but from a funding perspective.. yep the jury is still out.. I just remain positive it is different, net spend aside.

The whole idea of spending 100M that the club can't afford because they are banking on guaranteed income from a Lukaku sale is nonsense. What if he breaks his leg tomorrow? Or if Utd & Chelsea collude and say they won't pay over 50m now and we can't refuse as the club will go bust otherwise. No business operates like that, which is why at Everton there has always until now been a need to bank the money before approving purchases. To say it's the same as before makes no sense, and the club has to be able to afford to make the purchases and keep Lukaku or they wouldn't have signed the players.

Net spend doesn't interest me. I want to know who we signed and who we sold... that is what matters.

What is clear is that the profile of the club is rising steadily. A small thing but the coverage on SKY yesterday over the signings of Keane and Sandro together with the interest in Rooney and Giroud has people looking at Everton...in the case of the supporters of many other clubs , looking enviously.

I have seen comments that our signings are not top drawer, especially that silly comment by Carrager who included Pickford in his team of the season. But, Pickford has his whole career ahead of him , as has Sandro and Onyekuru.
Klaasen is a little older but has a great pedigree and could yet become a top drawer player, it's just that he has not played in a major league as yet... Keane is still possibly four years off being in his prime.

Every one of them could double or treble in value in the years to come...or they may not. Anybody saying they will not is either guessing or more likely hoping they will fail.

The whole idea of spending 100M that the club can't afford because they are banking on guaranteed income from a Lukaku sale is nonsense. What if he breaks his leg tomorrow? Or if Utd & Chelsea collude and say they won't pay over 50m now and we can't refuse as the club will go bust otherwise. No business operates like that, which is why at Everton there has always until now been a need to bank the money before approving purchases. To say it's the same as before makes no sense, and the club has to be able to afford to make the purchases and keep Lukaku or they wouldn't have signed the players.

What if the deal is already agreed? There is no rush to announce it whilst he is still on holiday and considering he came out and said he had agreed terms with another club without Everton saying anything means that he wasn't exactly lying about it.

Otherwise it is literally tapping him up which if we had a plan on keeping him at all we would not look too kindly on it.

Ok simple.. impossible to read every post so didn't see that one. Simple maths ... look no one can prove you wrong if we end up just breaking even again. It feels different as there was a clearly thought out plan that we have executed well, also paying above market to close the deal.. something we have been asking for instead of going toe to toe with the Hammers or flipping Stoke every year.

That is a fundamental change but from a funding perspective.. yep the jury is still out.. I just remain positive it is different, net spend aside.
Moshiri used a lot of BS after last summer's transfer window to make it sound like he'd been trying to spend a fortune. He lost face over it.

Dont rule out him looking to repair that damage by spending a lot of incoming cash prior to it arriving this summer whilst leaving the sell-to-buy model very much in play by the end of the transfer window.

Moshiri used a lot of BS after last summer's transfer window to make it sound like he'd been trying to spend a fortune. He lost face over it.

Dont rule out him looking to repair that damage by spending a lot of incoming cash prior to it arriving this summer whilst leaving the sell-to-buy model very much in play by the end of the transfer window.
Didn't most of our targets reject us so we don't know if he was lying about having a fortune to spend or not.

We had to get these players in early if we have any hope of getting anywhere in the EL and the league this year. We will have a grueling first 8 matches and we have to hit the ground running. We couldn't do what we have always been accustomed to. Wait to the last minuet. That would have caused turmoil at the club and with the fans. We could have 2 points out of our first 8 matches if we waited for the sale. No owner wants to see planes flying over the stadium with disparaging signs and his name on them.
Saying that I am sure having assets on the books that will help recover some of the expenses did help in their decision to spend what we have, he is after all a businessman. I will judge him not so much on the net spending, but what he sells Lukaku for. If its close to the 100m price he set then I know he didn't care if we sold him or not it was about building the club. If he sells him for much less than his asking price then he did it for the money.
Right now I will sit on the fence giving him the benefit of the doubt and dreaming that the glory days are upon us again.

An Everton fan who hopes Moshiri is a fraud, lol.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back