Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
We've got a new shareholder, who is more than proficient as a businessman and who Usmanov regards as his mentor, not the other way round.
Why are we even trying to second guess who will or won't be coming on board?
Just enjoy, wait for the deal to be ratified and see what more detail is put in the public domain.
And that's from a miserable old git like me.

I thought the threshold was 40% unless I read something incorrectly in this thread.

Owners’ and Directors’ Test (ODT)
The ODT was formerly the FAPPT (renamed and tightened from 2010/11). The rule stipulates that a person will be disqualified from being a Director and/or Shadow Director and/or owning 30% of a Club’s equity if he/she:

• Has the power to determine or influence the management or administration of another Club or FL club.
  • Directly or indirectly holds or acquires a significant interest in a Club while he/she directly or indirectly holds any interest in shares in another Club.
  • Is prohibited by law from being a Director.
  • Has a conviction (not a Spent Conviction) imposed by a UK or competent overseas court which resulted in an unsuspended prison sentence of at least 12 months’ imprisonment.
  • Has a conviction for a dishonesty crime (irrespective of sentence imposed).
  • Has made an Individual Voluntary Arrangement or becomes the subject of a Bankruptcy Order.
  • Has been a Director of a Club during which time 2 unrelated Events of Insolvency have occurred (including if Event of Insolvency occurs in 30 days following resignation of a Director)
  • Has been a Director of two or more Clubs (or FL clubs) each of which, while he/she was a Director, have suffered an Event of Insolvency.
  • Is subject to a suspension/ban by any sports body registered with UK Sport or Sport England, or any national or international association.
  • Is subject to any form of suspension, disqualification or striking-off by a professional body (e.g. Law Society).
  • Is required to notify personal information pursuant to the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

That's the point mate, he does not want to sell up, he's there for the long term. Thus he will never be an investor in Everton.

Esk i respect a lot of what you post and think you're spot on with most of it, but how can you say this as fact? (you might not be, but that to me is how it comes across)

Interesting discussion this evening, just for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong with my comments, just trying to provide clarity where I can.

Many of the understandable questions should be answered when the deal is finally approved (a formality) by the Premier League.

Am happy to answer what questions I can in the meantime.
You have answered more than enough mate and we all thank you.I think it boils down to we will know a lot more once the deal has gone through.Let's face it this time last week we were all talking about a Yank take over...... without a sniff of this. Until the news broke..... no media outlet had a sniff either.So with regards to the above article by The Mail...... it's a case of them

download (51).webp

That's the point mate, he does not want to sell up, he's there for the long term. Thus he will never be an investor in Everton.
You don't know that 100%.

The longterm on the road to nowhere, while his best mate has control of a big club capable of a hell of a lot with some investment.

Usmanov wants to have a say and run a Prem club, he's never doing that at Arsenal, that's for sure.

Everton’s Roberto Martínez set to receive major boost in transfer funds

The club’s new majority shareholder, Farhad Moshiri, will give the manager the financial clout to buy big and keep his best young talent at Goodison

A resolution to Everton’s stadium saga is on the agenda of their new majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri. Photograph: JMP/Rex Shutterstock
Andy-Hunter-R.png

Andy Hunter

Monday 29 February 2016 22.30 GMT

Shares

Save for later
Farhad Moshiri sold 15% of Arsenal on Friday, confirmed a deal for 49.9% of Everton on Saturday, has yet to receive Premier League approval for his latest acquisition and has not got down to the nitty‑gritty of how much Roberto Martínez will have to spend during face‑to‑face talks with the club’s manager. The outline facts may indicate Bill Kenwright’s decade-long search for new investment ended overnight but the truth of the British-Iranian billionaire’s arrival at Goodison Park is quite different. The “new era” that Martínez has proclaimed will not be launched from a standing start.

Everton’s manager does not have a figure for this summer’s transfer budget but he does know that, once the 60-year-old is installed as major shareholder, the days of being outmuscled financially by the likes of West Ham United for Dimitri Payet, as he was last summer, will be over.

The club’s wage cap will be demolished this summer and the first impact will be to convince Ross Barkley, John Stones and Romelu Lukaku to remain the team’s core on long-term contracts. Some will be easier to convince than others. Martínez may prefer to buy young players with rich potential rather than the finished article but it would be out of choice, not necessity, and he can have the pick of both markets. He also accepts that an owner with resources to match Everton’s ambition means greater pressure on his own position. “We want that expectancy and with it the pressure of having to deliver,” he said. “But, remember, there is always pressure.”

A resolution to Everton’s stadium saga is also on Moshiri’s agenda for the summer. The Monaco-based businessman, who retains shares in the Russian mining and steel manufacturing company Metalloinvest, in which long‑time business partner Alisher Usmanov holds the controlling stake, plans to reach a decision on the stadium move in the close season. The options have been explored during the investment process. A redevelopment of Goodison has not been discounted but, after two failed stadium projects on Kenwright’s watch,Everton retain hope of relocating to Walton Hall Park but want backing from Liverpool City Council to do so. The city’s mayor, Joe Anderson, was informed of the imminent investment by Kenwright in London last week.

Robert Elstone, Everton’s chief executive, told the club’s annual general meeting in November that several parties had approached Kenwright. They were Moshiri, the American investors John Jay Moores and Charles Noell plus a consortium from the Middle East. Everton’s chairman, who has always liked to draw comparisons between the club of his childhood and Arsenal, is understood to have favoured a single investor with a long-term vision. The initial deal was a complicated process with Moshiri’s 49.9% representing a purchase of Robert Earl’s 23% stake plus shares diluted from Kenwright’s 26% holding and Jon Woods’s 19%. After an interim period of working alongside the Everton chairman, Moshiri has an agreement to become majority shareholder. The financial landscape at Goodison, however, will change as soon as the billionaire receives Premier League approval. “Of course it will help us keep our best players,” Martínez said before the game at Aston Villa on Tuesday night. “In our structure you’re always going to have some sort of limitations from a financial point of view. That’s where we are as a football club. Now, with a new investor this is a new beginning, it’s a new start for Everton. If we’re here, now we can go here [points up] internally in terms of budgets, in terms of facilities, in terms of wage bill. The new TV deal helps you up to a point. What we’re talking about here is a completely different approach.”

Martínez does not expect Everton to be transformed into Champions League contenders overnight. He admits the likes of Stones and Lukaku will have to buy into Moshiri’s plan to resist overtures from other Premier League and European admirers this summer.

“We need to create a football club that the player wants to be part of,” he explained. “It is no good us saying: ‘Yes, we will keep such and such.’ If they don’t want to stay it will be the wrong investment. But if ‘such and such’ want to stay, can we make them stay? The answer now is yes. It is as simple as that. Every case is an individual case. Ross Barkley, for example, is an Evertonian. He can get at Everton anything he could get at another club. And it is his club. So that’s that answer. Everyone else, we don’t know what their aims are and what they want to do but we will never lose a player now because we are unable to give him what he deserves, put it that way.”

Martínez has held talks with Moshiri – he also met Moores and Noell during their due diligence on Everton’s books – but insists the budget at his disposal, and it is not unrealistic to claim it will be the biggest in the club’s history this summer, is for another day. The Everton manager said: “We haven’t had that sort of detailed discussion yet. Everything still needs to be confirmed by the Premier League and then we’ll sit down and I’ll have to make him aware of where we are in football terms and what we need. I think it’s more about the type of person we are getting at the club.

“Farhad is a very impressive man who is a businessman and a successful one but he also understands football because he’s been involved at Arsenal for a long time and that’s very rare. He knows how to support a manager and how to be involved in a football team. I’ve been impressed by his drive, he wants to have a winning team. He’s been following our results, performances and the reaction of the fans and I think he’s become an Evertonian. He’s fallen in love with the club and what it means.”

You don't know that 100%.

The longterm on the road to nowhere, while his best mate has control of a big club capable of a hell of a lot with some investment.

Usmanov wants to have a say and run a Prem club, he's never doing that at Arsenal, that's for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if something has changed behind the scenes at Arsenal to trigger all of this. Maybe Kroenke is going to let Usmanov get involved?

Happy to be proven wrong, but I'm pretty sure I will not be.

Regardless Moshiri will more than transform our club to where we want it to be - great times ahead for Blues.

Personally agree with you that Usmanov is unlikely to join in at Everton, there seems not only an emotional commection to Arsenal but he strikes me as the sort of person who would be unwilling to lose face in the powerbattle with Kroenke by selling up.

I'm perfectly happy with Moshiri alone as tbh if anything he seems the brains of their outfit - may be being naive but having someone with clear business strategy and desire to make progress on the stadium issue is as important to me as the improved access to capital.

But a lot of the discussion to date has focused on either one or the partnership. How likely do you think it is that Moshiri brings in another investor that isn't Usmanov, particularly to help with the short term capital requirement for a stadium? One perhaps who would only stay around for that period and then sell up leaving Moshiri - bit like the M&N rumoured partners?

I wouldn't be surprised if something has changed behind the scenes at Arsenal to trigger all of this. Maybe Kroenke is going to let Usmanov get involved?

It's a possibility, but it has been a very personal battle between 2 billionaires hoovering up all the shares, to the point 97% of the club is shared between the 2 men. I'd be surprised if he finally let him in. For him & Moshiri to own 30% between them and yet not be allowed on to the board spoke volumes.

Thanks for your comment mate. I say never because I do not envisage a day when Usmanov will sell his Arsenal holdings.

Is that just personal opinion or is it based on something you may have heard.

As without any kind of insider knowledge I don't think it's a clear cut as that. Just looking at his predicament right now, the seemingly bizarre pre sale talk that Usmanov was buying us and the subsequent events there's every chance he could have decided he's had enough and follow his mate here were they can get full control.

@The Esk did you by any chance manage to find out if the 49.9% was in order to avoid any clauses in the AIB/Prudential loan notes?
More I think about it, the more it makes sense as if ownership were to change, the ultimate lender would wish to be able to veto, and given the way the available mortgage for EIL is set up, the more I think that ownership and share issue are effectively controlled by said lender. - it just makes sense from their point of view.
Idle curiosity really.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back