Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Or rather he's sulking because he eventually sanctioned the 45 million purchase of Sigurdsson in the knowledge he was expecting to recoup most of it back on the sale of Barkley, and now he's severely out of pocket...
Mosh won't be out of pocket. He arranged a facility with a Chinese bank whereby we could borrow tens of millions to bridge the gap between buying a player and funding it by selling another.
We presumeably activated this facility to buy Sigy expecting to repay it when Barkley was sold. Unfortunately we failed to push him to Chelsea so now are likely left with an interest bearing debt. Hence no striker.
It's the clubs debt not Mosh's but as he owns 49% of the club I'd imagine he's none too happy.

Really, let's examine that point by point.

Nope, transferred. It is (currently) interest free, that is good, but it will be transferred to the new owners following the inevitable sale and we have no idea what will happen to it then. Until the debt is converted into equity it still hangs over the club.

No recent success to speak of, last season was positive without being startling, too soon to tell.

Like Steve Walsh, the architect of our failure to sign the two players our squad actually needed.

No deed of transfer, no planning consent, no finance secured, not even a drawing of the ground.

In some areas (Keane and Pickford spring to mind) true, once again though, the two players everyone could see we're required are still required.

Possibly, we will have to wait two or three years to see if that one pans out.

Emperor's New clothes.
If he sells up the Directors loan will be knocked off the value of the sale, it's not transferable debt

Mosh won't be out of pocket. He arranged a facility with a Chinese bank whereby we could borrow tens of millions to bridge the gap between buying a player and funding it by selling another.
We presumeably activated this facility to buy Sigy expecting to repay it when Barkley was sold. Unfortunately we failed to push him to Chelsea so now are likely left with an interest bearing debt. Hence no striker.
It's the clubs debt not Mosh's but as he owns 49% of the club I'd imagine he's none too happy.
We spent another £10m tonight in case you missed it like

Not knocked off, incorporated into. Our new owners may (or may not, who knows?) prefer a leveraged buyout. In that scenario the debt, in all but name, would be transferred to an interest bearing facility.

The Directors loan stays with Moshiri, it would be deducted from the equity value offered by any new purchaser.

You creating a leveraged buyout scenario in order to try and suggest that it won't is pure nonsense

The Directors loan stays with Moshiri, it would be deducted from the equity value offered by any new purchaser.

You creating a leveraged buyout scenario in order to try and suggest that it won't is pure nonsense
And how do you calculate the equity value of a football club? How do you determine asset values and liabilities when transfer fees and wages move at rates such as those seen in this window? The sale price is determined by the seller, Mr Moshiri will certainly not be writing off the money he has invested, he will simply incorporate it into the price at which he sells the club. Now maybe we get a nation state or genuine oligarch buying us or maybe we get a Glazers/Hicks and Gillette style purchaser. You have no more idea than I do about that. On the other hand, maybe Mr Moshiri decides to keep the club and decides to take repayments on his loan? Until that debt is converted to equity it is debt. And anyone trying to claim it is not is talking, how did you put it, pure nonsense?

Like he was wanted?

Sell to buy....only we didn't sell....
Are you implying that Moshiri is personally funding our transfer activity? If so can you provide some evidence of that and explain why we would also need to arrange the Chinese facility if that were the case?
I don't know for certain what's happening but I do know we've received large sums of tv money, have taken out a no notice facility that allows borrowing of up to £60m I believe, and we've desperately tried to sell enough players to make our net spend minimal while failing to deliver the manager's demanded striker.
All in all I'd say the evidence suggests we've been largely relying on player sales to fund our incomings.

What's this fella worth? £1.2b? It was always going to be sell to buy or whatever the new tv money allowed us to do. It's a huge fortune the fella has amassed but he won't hold onto it for too long if he's spending £100m on new footballers for us every summer.

The key for me is the new stadium. I've never really trusted Kenwright to do anything other than shed a tear when the cameras are on him. Hopefully Moshiri is at least competent in his management side of things and he can get the ground built to increase our revenue streams.

What's this fella worth? £1.2b? It was always going to be sell to buy or whatever the new tv money allowed us to do. It's a huge fortune the fella has amassed but he won't hold onto it for too long if he's spending £100m on new footballers for us every summer.

The key for me is the new stadium. I've never really trusted Kenwright to do anything other than shed a tear when the TV cameras are on him. Hopefully Moshiri is at least competent in his management side of things and he can get the ground built to increase our revenue streams.

His mate Whitey described him as a "multi, multi billionaire" when introducing him on Sky when he called in :Blink:

Dave always called him the "poorest billionaire in the world" lol

Are you implying that Moshiri is personally funding our transfer activity? If so can you provide some evidence of that and explain why we would also need to arrange the Chinese facility if that were the case?
I don't know for certain what's happening but I do know we've received large sums of tv money, have taken out a no notice facility that allows borrowing of up to £60m I believe, and we've desperately tried to sell enough players to make our net spend minimal while failing to deliver the manager's demanded striker.
All in all I'd say the evidence suggests we've been largely relying on player sales to fund our incomings.

Despite all this we've finished with £41m net, before you factor in any of the u23 players brought in. Maybe Evertonian's expectations of the man were just too high, me included.

Not bringing in another striker is criminal as is the lack of another centre back. But Moshiri doesn't run the club from top to bottom by himself, not all the blame goes to him and it's harsh to call him a fraud. End of the day, this stadium gets built then he goes down in Everton folklore for me. That falls through then fraud he is.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back