Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Talksport just issued an apology about joey bartons comments about kenwright blockin cf move, beggining to sound like all is not well in the boardroom, got a feelin jim white will be spoutin some spoon fed guff later.

Expectations are high and Moshiri knows this; the things you've listed I'll make my comments on:

March 16: People are literally taking this as he's cashing all his assets to spend on us. To me, the statement is regarding his acumen and the ability to put us on the bigger stage by making us a commercially attractive proposition that will allow for self generating cash.

Nothing will be the same: a season ticket "catchphrase" by a PR team. More than likely signed off by a senior manager, wouldn't even touch the CEO's desk never mind the majority shareholder

June 2016: acknowledgment of a transfer budget vs attracting people to join us are 2 separate entities. As far as the wage structure goes, I'd happily state the majority of our summer signings will be touching the £100k a week mark now. I'm sure the accounts will see a massive spike in this department.

Nov 16: 2 months later we spent £35m. And, apart from 2 players, Koeman strengthened his squad in the summer by acquiring 8 first teamers as well as adding to the u23. With regards to Kalidou Koulibaly, we bid and it got turned down. What else can we do? As I said, attractions is the hardest part

Jan 17: He's correct, we don't want to be a museum. And we did have a good window, the downfall was Olivier Giroud. We placed all our eggs in one basket and it got scuppered by his tart. An approach was made for the lad at Benfica which was rebuffed and Palace wanted around £60m for Benteke, which is stupid money even if money is no object.

People are venting at everything because we've started very poor, everyone knows it and everyone is coming under attack. It's the Everton way, it never used to be but we've gained an element to our support which wants and crys; if we won something these people would still moan that it wasn't done right and we were lucky to have won it. It borders on the bizzare.

Our fitness coach as been hounded on twitter to the point of closing his account, what kind of messed up crap is that

Our global exposure is slowly increasing, the business is far more professional and the golden egg is not far away. Once that spade goes into the ground we are on a whole new playing field, literally

The reason things didn't use to be like this is because Everton used to be winners. If you strip the club systematically of its soul and ambition over 20 years then it's hardly surprising to see impatience and frustration. Moshiri built up a level of hysteria himself and has done nothing to control it. I think you've made way too many excuses there to be honest. It's fine one or 2 mistakes but if I make one on every assignment at work I'll get the chop.

As for abuse on twitter, that's pathetic and embarassing. But it's got no relevance on the performance of Moshiri and the board.

Expectations are high and Moshiri knows this;

Do you not see those quotes and agree that Moshiri himself has contributed to those expectations being so high?

The fact of the matter is, those are his words and they read very differently to the picture you paint.

"He came here to stabilise the business, make it more commercially viable so we're not having 85% of our income operating the day to day runnings of the business due to extremely poor financial decisions of our previous board members"

That's not what he's been telling Evertonians he's come here to do. I'm sure to some of them it probably feels dishonest.

I think it all comes down to how people interpret those words; he hasn't once come here and said "I'll be bringing the biggest stars in world football to Everton". The club was operating poorly, as an astute accountant and businessman I expected him to reorganise operations and allow the club to grow naturally.

But that's the difference, some see those words and just expected that we'd be operating on par with City. From day one I've always stated that the idea was to make us a viable a business, this is why I don't get hung up on this net spend lark. Every business trades assets, so does every football club (with the exception of 2 or 3 in world football).

The reason things didn't use to be like this is because Everton used to be winners. If you strip the club systematically of its soul and ambition over 20 years then it's hardly surprising to see impatience and frustration. Moshiri built up a level of hysteria himself and has done nothing to control it. I think you've made way too many excuses there to be honest. It's fine one or 2 mistakes but if I make one on every assignment at work I'll get the chop.

As for abuse on twitter, that's pathetic and embarassing. But it's got no relevance on the performance of Moshiri and the board.

We were never constant winners Tim, you're acting like we were on par with Madrid. The club has always had spells winning then falling, Howard Kendall was one poor back pass away from getting the chop because we were so poor.

And secondly, the club was being poorly run just about the time you were born. When Sir John took hill his when are issues took hold, we had a owner that refused to invest and just wanted rid. The club then sold this to an egotistical businessman who started the original downfall of our poor club. Then Kenwright took it over, the man made so many terrible decisions it was unreal, we started slipping massively behind because we had an old school board in a blue chip world. They had no idea how to operate in a modern commercial world and utilised the club like a corner shop instead of trying to expand and maximise the revenue streams available.

And Moshiri hasn't built up a level of hysteria at all, the same fans that "want everything and give everyone abuse on twitter" built up that hysteria in their heads. The same way you have, you got all yourself all worked up that he was going to be brining world stars to the club and as soon as he hasn't you're gunning for him.

And I'd like you to name all the mistakes he's made since being here, and I'm not talking about quotes. I want factual business mistakes that would "get you the chop"

We were never constant winners Tim, you're acting like we were on par with Madrid. The club has always had spells winning then falling, Howard Kendall was one poor back pass away from getting the chop because we were so poor.

And secondly, the club was being poorly run just about the time you were born. When Sir John took hill his when are issues took hold, we had a owner that refused to invest and just wanted rid. The club then sold this to an egotistical businessman who started the original downfall of our poor club. Then Kenwright took it over, the man made so many terrible decisions it was unreal, we started slipping massively behind because we had an old school board in a blue chip world. They had no idea how to operate in a modern commercial world and utilised the club like a corner shop instead of trying to expand and maximise the revenue streams available.

And Moshiri hasn't built up a level of hysteria at all, the same fans that "want everything and give everyone abuse on twitter" built up that hysteria in their heads. The same way you have, you got all yourself all worked up that he was going to be brining world stars to the club and as soon as he hasn't you're gunning for him.

And I'd like you to name all the mistakes he's made since being here, and I'm not talking about quotes. I want factual business mistakes that would "get you the chop"

We've never gone this long in the wilderness in the club's history. At the very least there should be recognition that it's been unacceptable and proper ambition shown to rectify it.

As for mistakes. The main one is allowing the same old archaic board members to continue as before like nothing happened. Kenwright should have been moved non-exec the day FM took over. It's plain ridiculous that BK is still our main negotiator. It's ridiculous that he's still in charge of budgets and day to day operations alongside the most inept Chief Exec you could find. How neither have been replaced is remarkable.

Transfer windows have been clear errors. Distinct lack of planning, and thought. We've not got any player you'd have been surprised by under BK. Walsh's role seems to have no accountability either. Who's in charge? BK, RK or FM. The waters are muddy and there's no responsibility.

We need an entirely new board with credentials and a hunger for improvement and success.

We've never gone this long in the wilderness in the club's history. At the very least there should be recognition that it's been unacceptable and proper ambition shown to rectify it.

As for mistakes. The main one is allowing the same old archaic board members to continue as before like nothing happened. Kenwright should have been moved non-exec the day FM took over. It's plain ridiculous that BK is still our main negotiator. It's ridiculous that he's still in charge of budgets and day to day operations alongside the most inept Chief Exec you could find. How neither have been replaced is remarkable.

Transfer windows have been clear errors. Distinct lack of planning, and thought. We've not got any player you'd have been surprised by under BK. Walsh's role seems to have no accountability either. Who's in charge? BK, RK or FM. The waters are muddy and there's no responsibility.

We need an entirely new board with credentials and a hunger for improvement and success.

Yes we haven't gone this long without a trophy and it hurts, but we've still never had prolonged periods of success like Utd and the RS unfortunately.

I'll agree that BK should have been moved on but we don't know the terms of the sale of shares.

With regards to the windows, the first one was a shambles, but that a fact was that DoF came in and the priorities changed. January wasn't, because he got who wanted and this window wasn't. Bar two players we added 8 to the squad and give us depth. The issue we have was the Koeman and Walsh overloading us with the same type of player, and the fact we got burnt with Giroud.

And it seems clear who has responsibility, FM couldn't because he's not a board member. DoF works with Koeman to identify targets and then it would be down to him and more than like CEO to negotiate price with BK signing off on the transfer; how most would expect this to operate.

And I'd never expect us to sign these players under BK, maybe Williams and Sandro. But this all boils to the same issue as I keep saying, the "I want it now" generation, they've built up these expectations on who they want to come in because they've assumed Moshiri is going to spunk billions and when we sign certain players the toys are out the pram.

We once had a chairman who issued Evertonians with a season ticket with 23 home game vouchers in the book because he was that confident we would be relegated FFS

Yes we haven't gone this long without a trophy and it hurts, but we've still never had prolonged periods of success like Utd and the RS unfortunately.

I'll agree that BK should have been moved on but we don't know the terms of the sale of shares.

With regards to the windows, the first one was a shambles, but that a fact was that DoF came in and the priorities changed. January wasn't, because he got who wanted and this window wasn't. Bar two players we added 8 to the squad and give us depth. The issue we have was the Koeman and Walsh overloading us with the same type of player, and the fact we got burnt with Giroud.

And it seems clear who has responsibility, FM couldn't because he's not a board member. DoF works with Koeman to identify targets and then it would be down to him and more than like CEO to negotiate price with BK signing off on the transfer; how most would expect this to operate.

And I'd never expect us to sign these players under BK, maybe Williams and Sandro. But this all boils to the same issue as I keep saying, the "I want it now" generation, they've built up these expectations on who they want to come in because they've assumed Moshiri is going to spunk billions and when we sign certain players the toys are out the pram.

We once had a chairman who issued Evertonians with a season ticket with 23 home game vouchers in the book because he was that confident we would be relegated FFS

It's not about wanting everything right now. It's about wanting encouragement that we are moving in the right direction and improving. That's least you'd expect after 18 months. It's always one step forward then 2 back with Everton.

I think it all comes down to how people interpret those words; he hasn't once come here and said "I'll be bringing the biggest stars in world football to Everton". The club was operating poorly, as an astute accountant and businessman I expected him to reorganise operations and allow the club to grow naturally.

But that's the difference, some see those words and just expected that we'd be operating on par with City. From day one I've always stated that the idea was to make us a viable a business, this is why I don't get hung up on this net spend lark. Every business trades assets, so does every football club (with the exception of 2 or 3 in world football).

Yeah but he has said if Koman wants a player then money wouldn't be an issue, our deadline day scrambles prove the truth in that.

My point is while you have your impressions of what Moshiri is here for that doesn't actually line up with what he's said and you're relying on your interpretation being more correct than someone else's.

I agree with that and that's all great stuff, but don't you think he should have said that as opposed to things like:

March 2016
“For me I bought into a new family and that’s what is special for me. I give them whatever I have.”

Nothing Will Be The Same - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/everton-fans-stars-clubs-new-11093174

June 2016
"exclusive" article from the Echo quoting 100 million transfer budget and a massive increase in wages. I wonder where this all came from? http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...s/everton-ready-smash-wage-structure-11445921

Nov 2016
We have no restrictions to spend,” he told TalkSport. “The manager is totally committed and ruthless; if a player is not up to it he uses another player and eventually he buys one. There are no sentimental issues there. The manager will strengthen the team in the areas he feels necessary. Koeman is Koeman: he does what he wants and I support him.

“I think the manager had seven names, four of those we got,”Moshiri said. “We tried to buy [Kalidou] Koulibaly of Napoli and they wanted £60m. It is monopoly money. We went right to the asking price and they decided not to sell.

January 2017
"It is not enough to say 'we are special'," he said. "We don't want to be a museum. We need to be competitive and we need to win.

"The gold standard is the Premier League. The league is where our competitive edge will be measured.

"We have a window to establish ourselves and we will do everything we can.

If expectations were high than Moshiri can look towards himself for stoking those flames.
I really don't understand what the problem is, both with the comments or his actions thus far.

I really don't understand what the problem is, both with the comments or his actions thus far.

I don't have a problem with it. Some people I'm sure feel they were misled.

Honestly I'm not really bothered so long as he sorts us out a stadium. That was more than we could ever have dreamed of under Kenwright and if he gets that done and sells us on you won't see me she'd a tear.

I don't have a problem with it. Some people I'm sure feel they were misled.

Honestly I'm not really bothered so long as he sorts us out a stadium. That was more than we could ever have dreamed of under Kenwright and if he gets that done and sells us on you won't see me she'd a tear.
Absolutely. The stadium is the big one.
I also think though that there are lots of presumptions being bandied about.

We had two quality young lads in our ranks, Stones and Lukaku. We sold one per summer. Now, due to the previous 30 years, I can understand the emotional response of "same old same old Everton". Reality is, we have no idea about our kitty nor whether we would have spent the same amount without player sales. We can speculate and discuss what's more likely but we don't know. Only Mosh and his accountants do.

Seems Mosh is being bashed because of Bill's legacy of not having a pot to urinate in.

Absolutely. The stadium is the big one.
I also think though that there are lots of presumptions being bandied about.

We had two quality young lads in our ranks, Stones and Lukaku. We sold one per summer. Now, due to the previous 30 years, I can understand the emotional response of "same old same old Everton". Reality is, we have no idea about our kitty nor whether we would have spent the same amount without player sales. We can speculate and discuss what's more likely but we don't know. Only Mosh and his accountants do.

Seems Mosh is being bashed because of Bill's legacy of not having a pot to urinate in.

Rightly or wrongly it is down to how people interpret his words. Moshiri only raised expectations in the few times we've heard from him so I can't say he's entirely blameless for the perception.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back