Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Rightly or wrongly it is down to how people interpret his words. Moshiri only raised expectations in the few times we've heard from him so I can't say he's entirely blameless for the perception.
Yeah but....
Let's say he goes for Koulibaly (60m). Doesn't get him. We sell Lukaku for 75m.

Does that mean he now has to buy 135m worth of player in one window? And if he doesn't, he's as poor as Bill?

It's a very basic point which I'm sure better financial experts like @ToffeeTim and @nsno-chris could debate better but to me,

If Koeman identifies targets valued 100m and can only bring in players to the value of 50m because his targets don't want to come, it isn't a fault of Moshiri if Koeman doesn't want any old striker and would rather wait.

Yeah but he has said if Koman wants a player then money wouldn't be an issue, our deadline day scrambles prove the truth in that.

My point is while you have your impressions of what Moshiri is here for that doesn't actually line up with what he's said and you're relying on your interpretation being more correct than someone else's.

This is where I think we put all our eggs in one basket with Giroud. My belief is that things were agreed with both the player and the club and then it got scuppered for whatever reason, I may be wrong.

If that was the case it was poor from the recruitment team because an alternative should have been ready. However, hthe later you get into the window the harder it then is for the other team to then find a replacement unless you pay over the top (e.g. £60m for benteke). Then Koeman also states there's no point in recruiting options 4, 5 or 6 because they're not the quality we want.

I guess January will reveal all, I was personally happy with our business (bar 1 player) and I appreciate that people weren't because losing Lukaku was massive.

But it's always nice to have a proper debate like this

Yeah but....
Let's say he goes for Koulibaly (60m). Doesn't get him. We sell Lukaku for 75m.

Does that mean he now has to buy 135m worth of player in one window? And if he doesn't, he's as poor as Bill?

It's a very basic point which I'm sure better financial experts like @ToffeeTim and @nsno-chris could debate better but to me,

If Koeman identifies targets valued 100m and can only bring in players to the value of 50m because his targets don't want to come, it isn't a fault of Moshiri if Koeman doesn't want any old striker and would rather wait.

Not spend for me is only a guide but usually is a decent one. Spending more on bringing players in tends to suggest progression but not always. Bringing more in than you spend tends to suggest going backwards, but again not always. But that's the general trend.

For me the best guide is when replacing players directly. In order to compete, you need to be spending similar amounts on your replacements or you will go backwards. That's why the striker position was a total abomination and whoever was responsible has checked our progress by at least another 12 months. You can't expect to replace 80-90m pound elite players with punts costing less than 10% of that and not expect regression.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back