Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Whats a carpetbagger?

It is a pejorative term for a particularly nasty type of Yankee “businessmen” whom descended on the defeated Confederate states in the years following the American Civil War.....a period known as the Reconstruction.

They bought up the land and other assets for cheap under compulsory purchase orders, often evicting the occupants and turfing them out of their homes with nowhere to go.

They were acting with the full authority of the law behind them and the likes of Jesse James achieved legendary status by fighting back against them.

In place of brief cases or suitcases these vultures carried valise like bags which were made from carpet, leather being in short supply in the post bellum era.....hence the insulting name they were given by the seething populace, “carpetbaggers” :)

It is a pejorative term for a particularly nasty type of Yankee “businessmen” whom descended on the defeated Confederate states in the years following the American Civil War.....a period known as the Reconstruction.

They bought up the land and other assets for cheap under compulsory purchase orders, often evicting the occupants and turfing them out of their homes with nowhere to go.

They were acting with the full authority of the law behind them and the likes of Jesse James achieved legendary status by fighting back against them.

In place of brief cases or suitcases these vultures carried valise like bags which were made from carpet, leather being in short supply in the post bellum era.....hence the insulting name they were given by the seething populace, “carpetbaggers” :)
Back in the mid 70s, in the earlyish days of Auckland's dining scene, we as a family would occasionally go to well-known steak house in the city called Tony's. My dad always ordered what was called a carpetbag steak (scotch fillet with pockets in the meat made by small cuts, into which oysters were stuffed . As the dish is fried, the flavour of the fresh oysters permeates the steak and blends with the juice of the steak. A strip of bacon was wrapped around the serving.
I used to order something different (Bue con vino bianco I think it was called) which was large cubes of sirloin marinated in wine and capers and other stuff.
Great times. Money was scarce in those days (no credit cards!) and treats like that really were special.

Back in the mid 70s, in the earlyish days of Auckland's dining scene, we as a family would occasionally go to well-known steak house in the city called Tony's. My dad always ordered what was called a carpetbag steak (scotch fillet with pockets in the meat made by small cuts, into which oysters were stuffed . As the dish is fried, the flavour of the fresh oysters permeates the steak and blends with the juice of the steak. A strip of bacon was wrapped around the serving.
I used to order something different (Bue con vino bianco I think it was called) which was large cubes of sirloin marinated in wine and capers and other stuff.
Great times. Money was scarce in those days (no credit cards!) and treats like that really were special.
I have now just read about the Reconstruction, Jesse James and steak in 70s Auckland early dining scene. In the Moshiri-thread. Whats not to love about this forum :)

he is a seriously good accountant for Russian oligarchs mate...

but he hasn't, and never will, understand the inner workings of a premier league football team.

its like a construction site manager thinking he can go and run British airways, jus cos... he's, well, a manager ...

So who would make a good owner? How much experience did Sheik Mansour have of running a PL club? Or Abramovich?

I'd be interested in seeing this list of owners who came to their club already having a deep comprehension of running a football club and at no point made a bad appointment or sanctioned the signing of an expensive flop.

In essence, anyone with a big enough wallet and general management experience could run a football club. It is more about surrounding yourself with the right people and backing (bankrolling) their judgement than getting directly involved with on pitch matters. That said, an owner who is also a fan can be an advantage - provided he can make decisions with his owner's brain rather than his fan's brain.

And, to be fair to Moshiri, I think that is what he has done and continues to do.

CBA reading 2000+ pages of carpetbagger theories and whatnot.

However you look at it we've been on a different planet money-wise since Moshiri entered the stage.

Though this summer when the mess left by Koeman&Walsh has been laid bare, it does seem to me like the managerial inaptitude on board and ownership level has not been rectified, only shifted shape.

Maybe there's a gradual shift to a more professional and savvy way of running the club, still hoping that's the case, but I definitely don't want to read media quotes from Moshiri like this one in the future:

“For our club to compete in the north-west of England, which is the new Hollywood of football with Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp, we needed a star to stand on the touchline so I got Koeman”

In hindsight that was some deeply flawed reasoning. And while all businesspeople make mistakes, the vanity of quotes like this like seem kinda annoying afterwards. And also like he should be more careful not to undermine his integrity as an investor in the club for the sake of Guardian headlines and getting namedropped by Jim White. Probably doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things, hopefully he learned some lessons.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back