Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Fathers of GrandOldTeam

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son’s 20 and in his second year at university now. I enjoyed him as a baby and as a toddler, and as he got older, it was great doing dad stuff like helping with homework and going out on trips together - he taught me a lot by choosing the places he wanted to go. But it’s great having a grown up son - when you first know you’re having a boy, the stuff we do now is what you picture when you get that news. Having him and his girlfriend over for a meal, grown up conversations, etc. Probably not putting this very well, but there’s never a bad stage in being a dad, no matter how old they are or what they get up to. You won’t always like them, their choices or actions, but you will always love them.

Lads, my wife is due this week with our little girl. I'm proper excited and under no illusions about how tough parenthood can be, but I wondered what advice you all have?

If you could go back and do anything different again with your first, what would it be? I have my bag packed for the hospital and it's all getting very real now!

I'm genuinely intrigued to get any advice and hear about your own experiences. Fire away.

DONT look back. I dont mean figuratively, I mean whatever you do, dont look back.

It’ll ruin you for a long time.

My son’s 20 and in his second year at university now. I enjoyed him as a baby and as a toddler, and as he got older, it was great doing dad stuff like helping with homework and going out on trips together - he taught me a lot by choosing the places he wanted to go. But it’s great having a grown up son - when you first know you’re having a boy, the stuff we do now is what you picture when you get that news. Having him and his girlfriend over for a meal, grown up conversations, etc. Probably not putting this very well, but there’s never a bad stage in being a dad, no matter how old they are or what they get up to. You won’t always like them, their choices or actions, but you will always love them.

Lovely post, tho' sadly it's not universal.

Good advice that.

They are all very different and there are no instructions.

True. Tho' I've had a good success rate with picking them up and showing them around the flat. The changing scenery plus me talking waffle seems to distract them from crying, then with any luck after a few minutes the eyelids will get heavy.

Carry on being yourself, don’t doubt what you’re doing when they don’t stop crying, and don’t wrap them in cotton wool. Smother them in love, but not cotton wool. And teach them one thing above all else....good manners. My three girls are all grown up now but parenting, whilst being tough at times, is a privilege. Wouldn’t change a single second of it.
Congratulations too.

Don’t let her sleep in your bed even when she’s ill

Have a holiday before she starts crawling,, because it’s a game changer after that ...

Share the load with your mrs give her plenty of naps ... if she’s not so tired she won’t bite your head off

Lads, my wife is due this week with our little girl. I'm proper excited and under no illusions about how tough parenthood can be, but I wondered what advice you all have?

If you could go back and do anything different again with your first, what would it be? I have my bag packed for the hospital and it's all getting very real now!

I'm genuinely intrigued to get any advice and hear about your own experiences. Fire away.
I have a daughter who is 34 and a son who is 26. I still run around after them as though they can't wipe their own bums. Would I do anything different? Yes. I'd have had a vasectomy at 16.

You will do some things right, you will do some things wrong. Most advice you receive will not work for you as every child is different.
Just make sure you give your wife time off as she will no doubt be awake every night feeding, let her sleep during the day or go to bed at dinner time if that’s what she needs.

And please remember, not everyone will think that your child is the most beautiful child ever, so don’t bore them with endless photos.

Spend the first 14 years either drunk or seperated from the mother (mostly both), then move to a different country.
Re-establish contact 4 years later when they turn up for a week long stay which turns into 2 and a half years.
When they leave to go to Uni, bin all their bedroom furniture and tell them that you've turned it into an office - 8 hours after they walked out the door.
When they graduate, be incredibly proud - was lucky here, he got a job straight away in London so didn't have to come back to mine to stay.
Never let said offspring forget that you are the best parent ever and have been mother and father to them
Meet up when we're playing in London and talk on the phone at least once a year.
Think that covers it apart from try and remember their date of birth.
Glad to be of assistance.

Congratulations to you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back