Ferguson retained as assistant manager - yay or nay

Should Duncan Ferguson continue to be employed as Assistant Manager regardless of managerial appoint

• No

Votes: 234 56.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 180 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it’s Benitez, I can 100% see Ferguson being kept on and used as a mouthpiece.

We’ll hear him come out with stuff like “he’s a world class manager, terrific bloke and we all need tae get behind him.”
“We had a great tactical discussion at Pizza Hut on Thursday night, and solidified our plan for Saturday over lunch at Nandos.

“I’m really looking forward to our post match briefing, as Rafael has booked us in for a buffet at the Pearl of Hong Kong on Monday night.”

I can absolutely understand your point of view on this Terry. But I think if Rafael becomes manager it would be wrong for Duncan to be the assistant. It should be whoever the person in charge wants to have and it would be in Duncans best interest to get some experience as a manager if that's what he wants to do. If he doesn't then I'm sure ancelotti will get him a job at Madrid and I'm sure he couldn't complain too much about that.

We need to change the culture at the club and unfortunately if vocal figures from previous regimes remain then I can't see the culture changing. We all love dunc and we all ideally want him involved but he has been part of the staff since Moyes left and we haven't done anything. While minimal amounts of blame for that can be credited to Dunc, he still has been part of it.

Part of me says just give him the main job but It would of course be a gamble. But its a case of either give him the manager job or let him go.
Fair points raised Johnjoe.
I agree that we need to wait and see who is appointed - and whether they want him as part of their team. We have had years of inept management so hopefully someone will come in as a new broom and give the place a massive clear out. I hope there are more culpable figures than Dunc though. I don't even know how involved he has been but if it's anything to do with developing DCL he may be due some credit. I also agree that if he aspires to the managers job he'd need some experience elsewhere. I would let him make that decision though. He is such a legend that I am proud that he's part of our club still - but understand if he wanted to move on. Someone was saying the other day how Spain have lost some fear when they got rid of all their hard nuts together. If nothing else you know the opposition know they can't bully us if Dunc is around.

I don’t have a problem with an Everton legend remaining at the club in some capacity especially if they passionately care about the club. - in the hope that will rub off on few players.
That said I’m amazed he hasn’t had a fight with Gomes, Siggy or Bernard for doing impressions of players who don’t care.

Should go and get a managerial job somewhere else, get a rep that way. Wrexham would be the ideal club for him, especially with everything going on there.

Not voting because I would want it to be the new manager's decision, ergo my view is irrelevant

I don't have a "yes" or "no" view, I would want the decision to be made on merit and at the discretion of the new manager - if he wants Dunc, sound. If not, the choice of managerial appointment should not be contingent on Ferguson staying on in a first team coaching capacity.
Well surely the people who know Duncan’s capability are the ones at the club and in a position to say yes or no about appointing him, what has he been doing under the last five or six managers? How important has his position been? We can only guess they know or should do.

This Benitez appointment presents this feller with a massive dilemma: will he reflect the revulsion many of his devotees will have with the hiring of RB, or agree to stay on (in which case he loses a lot of credibility). Put another way: does he secure his stature amongst those who revere him and strike out for a managerial position elsewhere and keep his powder dry for a tilt at the job in the future, or does he associate himself with Benitez and lose any chance he may have ever had as his stock crumbles?

He’s been a part of multiple failed tenures now so needs to go, he’s not indispensable ffs. Give him a gig with Snods or something. The club need to start acknowledging our motto or before they know it, another trophy less decade will have passed us by

This Benitez appointment presents this feller with a massive dilemma: will he reflect the revulsion many of his devotees will have with the hiring of RB, or agree to stay on (in which case he loses a lot of credibility). Put another way: does he secure his stature amongst those who revere him and strike out for a managerial position elsewhere and keep his powder dry for a tilt at the job in the future, or does he associate himself with Benitez and lose any chance he may have ever had as his stock crumbles?

Personally, I feel that any decision made by Ferguson to move on should be dependant on his Managerial ambitions and not because certain elements of our fanbase may not 'like' him anymore if he stays to work with Rafael Benitez.

If Dunc has any real ambition to progress and become a Manager in his own right, then he really needs to stop being number two to every appointment we make and instead start actively seeking a Managers position with a lower league Club. Unless, of course, the powers that be are willing to take a gamble and offer him the hot seat with Everton.

Personally, I feel that any decision made by Ferguson to move on should be dependant on his Managerial ambitions and not because certain elements of our fanbase may not 'like' him anymore if he stays to work with Rafael Benitez.

If Dunc has any real ambition to progress and become a Manager in his own right, then he really needs to stop being number two to every appointment we make and instead start actively seeking a Managers position with a lower league Club. Unless, of course, the powers that be are willing to take a gamble and offer him the hot seat with Everton.

He wont get offered that job at Everton. The owners wont wear it. He has to get out of this club and prove himself worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.