Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
27 mil for a player with 1 goal last season is a bit naff though for an exciting attacking player

almiron would be worth 100 mil based on the goals he scored
He's never been a regular goalscorer throughout his career. 1 goal is definitely less than he'd like but it's not that big a drop off for a player who's only very occasionally hit 5 a season throughout his career and was featuring a less than previously.

I don't think his valuation is that inflated.

Owing 'millions' could easily be 3-4 million which is chicken feed to a PL club. I wouldn't take Daily Fascist clickbait as a basis for forming an opinion on the financial rules and how they're enforced.

For instance, Forest only signed so many players because they got promoted with a squad that was largely made up of players who were either on loan or coming to the end of their contracts. High squad turnovers each season aren't that unusual outside the PL and Forest's long term planning at the time was probably not taking promotion and survival in the PL as a given.

They spent the best part of £200M last season but most of that was on players 25 or under. There was loans and a couple of 1 year deals to bridge a gap and they stayed up. They seem to have reigned it right in this year but are still looking to buy - not exactly the actions of a club with administration hanging over them.

Even if they go down they'll likely be in a better financial position than they were before promotion. Fairly young squad, no ridiculous contracts for past it players, 2 seasons PL TV money and parachute payments on top. And given they only came up last year I'd imagine a lot of the deals they've given out since then have had clauses in as they knew full well a relegation battle was in the offing given their unlikely promotion.

From the outside looking in they don't strike me as a basketcase club.

Perfectly non-basketcase behaviour there if true.

P&S in the prem stinks and is solely a mechanism to maintain the status quo.
Yes it’s important clubs don’t do a Leeds and implode, but the must be another way for a benefactor to spend what they want while securing a clubs future.
For a billionaire to to spend beyond what a club can afford due to revenue, could for example be offset by them being obliged to put sufficient cash to be held in escrow until the club is either self sufficient or they sell up / sell assets to recover ‘losses’
Might mean a £500m splurge on fees and contracts becomes a £250m one (with the other £250m held in escrow) but should keep everyone happy and let low income clubs have a chance of competing. Also makes those same low income clubs more attractive to investment instead of being hamstrung by an impossible task of growing revenue to compete without on field success.

He's never been a regular goalscorer throughout his career. 1 goal is definitely less than he'd like but it's not that big a drop off for a player who's only very occasionally hit 5 a season throughout his career and was featuring a less than previously.

I don't think his valuation is that inflated.

I reckon the fee will be, accounting wise, convenient.

A lot of clubs outside the Sky 6/7 are going to find themselves under scrutiny, if not all of them in time.
The thing is to ensure you stay up whilst under spending restrictions.
We managed it last year, have to do it again this.
Big test for Wolves. There was a chap here a couple of seasons back, I thought they were going to make a big breakthrough the way he was going on.
This is how its going to be.
The margins are so tight, a couple of poor signings and you're in it. We made bad signings in groups of ten, you can't get away with that indefinitely, and with a new stadium to be paid for.
A really dumb and basic problem with the rules is that there is no allowance for blind luck. We can’t complain about voluntarily wasting millions on sub standard players, but Chelsea’s big money striker out for most of the season 1 week before it starts.

They will somehow absorb that and buy 20 replacements, but to a “normal” club that could destroy them. Cant afford any reinforcements, get relegated due to having to play their version of Maupay, and when the above player is back fit wants to leave and not play in the Championship, has barely played so gets sold for half what they paid, ruining next seasons FFP allowable spend. Can’t get out of the hole without 3 seasons of penny pinching and fire sales.

Player valuations are too big a proportion of the allowable limits, and a £20/30/50m player can easily be made useless by slipping in the bath.

They could try and flex the rules for this or Iceland-like situations, but the more flex, the more loopholes for Forest to find. Throw it all in the bin.

P&S in the prem stinks and is solely a mechanism to maintain the status quo.
Yes it’s important clubs don’t do a Leeds and implode, but the must be another way for a benefactor to spend what they want while securing a clubs future.
For a billionaire to to spend beyond what a club can afford due to revenue, could for example be offset by them being obliged to put sufficient cash to be held in escrow until the club is either self sufficient or they sell up / sell assets to recover ‘losses’
Might mean a £500m splurge on fees and contracts becomes a £250m one (with the other £250m held in escrow) but should keep everyone happy and let low income clubs have a chance of competing. Also makes those same low income clubs more attractive to investment instead of being hamstrung by an impossible task of growing revenue to compete without on field success.

A salary/transfer cap for every club regardless of revenue/owner wealth is the only way.

But the big 6 + Newcastle would take their ball and leave if that ever happened which is why it will never be done.

Football as a competition is dead in most of the top leagues now. You can pretty much name who the top 3-4 sides will be come the seasons end before a ball has even been kicked.

Perfectly non-basketcase behaviour there if true.
Read it again and tell me how many times The Daily Fascist uses words such as could, potentially, considering, should and similar speculative terms in this story entirely absent of statements of fact and figures.

And then this.... " Players who remain at the club are due to be paid their bonuses at the end of August. It is thought that those who have left will received their fees at the same time."
The writers of that rag can't even understand past/present terms or simply don't care to do basic proof reading. You can't seriously base any opinion on such obvious and vapid clickbait.

I reckon the fee will be, accounting wise, convenient.
Maybe, maybe not.

What the sale of one player to a Saudi club since their takeover won't be though is any kind of proof that Newcastle are 'selling players to themselves' to skirt around financial rules

Read it again and tell me how many times The Daily Fascist uses words such as could, potentially, considering, should and similar speculative terms in this story entirely absent of statements of fact and figures.

And then this.... " Players who remain at the club are due to be paid their bonuses at the end of August. It is thought that those who have left will received their fees at the same time."
The writers of that rag can't even understand past/present terms or simply don't care to do basic proof reading. You can't seriously base any opinion on such obvious and vapid clickbait.

Maybe, maybe not.

What the sale of one player to a Saudi club since their takeover won't be though is any kind of proof that Newcastle are 'selling players to themselves' to skirt around financial rules

I think it is naive to think the Saudi owners wont use their wealth in all sorts of ways.

I think it is naive to think the Saudi owners wont use their wealth in all sorts of ways.
Of course.

But if people are talking about the unfair application of financial rules and pointing to Newcastle 'selling players to themselves' as an example then I think it's fair to point out that the sale of Saint-Maximin perhaps falls short of the proof required for charges to be levelled at Newcastle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back